Turbo Volvo (S60R) oil rec, plus noob help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the cool down period is needed if you have been running the engine hard and getting into the boost. on a normal commute you have nothing to worry about

Originally Posted By: hostile
Originally Posted By: deven

What he means by "proper shutdown" he means a lot of people will drive and when they get to their destination they shut off the engine whilst in a turbo you should let the engine idle after reaching destination to cool it down. One of an engine oils job is to dissipate heat. If turning it off right after reaching your destination, the turbo will actually "cook the oil" because it is no longer in circulation due to the car being shut off.

So how long should one let the car idle? I thought that idling was actually quite hard on a car, and also consumes the most gas?

Idling is bad for a car but in a turbo its beneficial to idle since it helps cool the engine, I have never owned a turbo so I'll leave that question to someone who has actually had experience with this.

I would run Amsoil SSO without a second thought about it. Usually you can let your engine idle for 15 - 30 seconds before shutting it down.

You may also purchase a "turbo timer" to care of this for you.

I'm surprised turbo timers aren't standard nowadays. The Rx7 twin turbo from the 90's would take care of the turbos automatically if the car was shut down hot. It just makes sense.

Oh yeah, oil recs.. GC, M1 0w40, Any Amsoil product in 30 or 40 weight, SSO being one of their best especially for cold climates.

Quote:
I'm surprised turbo timers aren't standard nowadays

Actually, the owner should check that. The car may have one already. I can't say for certain, but my Volvo 850 (also from the 90's) has a turbo timer. I can't imagine they'd take a step backwards.

One thing I will say is, most synthetic oil has worked fine, Castrol 0w30, Mobil 1 0w30, and Redline 5w30 and 5w40 have all worked well.

However, both times I tried Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in it, I found thick foamy looking stuff on the dipstick within 500-1000 miles. I'm not sure if it was the oil or just a coincidence, but I've been afraid to try it again. Just my experience, YMMV.

Strangely, the previous owner's oil chnage receipts shows it got bulk Pennzoil 10w30 year round (that was in Florida, though). They also had it changed every 3000 miles or sooner.

Originally Posted By: hostile
Originally Posted By: deven

What he means by "proper shutdown" he means a lot of people will drive and when they get to their destination they shut off the engine whilst in a turbo you should let the engine idle after reaching destination to cool it down. One of an engine oils job is to dissipate heat. If turning it off right after reaching your destination, the turbo will actually "cook the oil" because it is no longer in circulation due to the car being shut off.

So how long should one let the car idle? I thought that idling was actually quite hard on a car, and also consumes the most gas?

We're not talking a long time... Most people I know with turbo cars that never had any issues (including volvos) are talking like 15-30 seconds. Some people do more.. Whatever floats their boat.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Most people I know with turbo cars that never had any issues (including volvos) are talking like 15-30 seconds.

Same here. 15-30 seconds should be enough.

After quite a bit of research into this, a cool down time is *not* required on these engines.

The turbos on the v70/xc70 are low boost, and do not run hot enough to warrant any cool down time.

The low boost, combined with good synthetics, allow for this engine to be driven like any other. There is apparently no risk of coking the turbo in these.

Thanks for the replies though!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back