2007 Ford Fusion Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2007 Ford Fusion with 40k miles on it. Looks like the transmission fluid has never been changed. It is no longer red in color at all. I know it is the 5 speed and takes FNR5 fluid. I and going to change it this weekend.

My question is does anyone think any long term damage has been done at this point? It looks really dirty for 40k miles. It does shift good. I felt since the rest of the car was perfect that I would be good on the transmission.

Color is not always an indication of fluid condition. Go ahead and change your fluid via a couple drain and refills with a nice drive in between.

No, I doubt any damage has been done, but I would probably do a drain/fill or two.

In my Highlander, the only automatic car I've ever owned, I did the first drain/fill at 40,000 miles and it also looked black, not red and dirty. That worried me to the point where I did another at 60,000, and the fluid I drained looked clear and red, and basically makes me think that there was a significant amount of breakin friction surface material in the initial fluid, it wasn't that the fluid was "worn out" or overheated. This doesn't directly apply to you, but hopefully eases your mind a bit.

I have a 2006 Milan with 93,000 miles, same trans and engine as your Fusion. The owner’s manual says to change at 150,000 miles; yes that is what it says.
I went 90,000 on my transmission fluid with out any problems.
It never looked red even when new, kind of a brownish red.
I just used my siphon pump and sucked out 3 quarts and replaced that with the newest Mobil 1 syn ATF it Meets the requirements of the Mazda FNR5 transmission.
I did siphon again and replaced 3 quarts at 93,000 miles.
I would not worry about having 40,000 mile on original fluid.

Last edited:
Sorry to de-rail but, LC which siphon did you use? I want to put syn ATF in my Ranger without dropping the pan, this sounds like a good solution.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: LC
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001299.php
Works great,I used it on my 2000 ranger.

Sounds cool, the amazon link says it's unavailable
frown.gif

My 07 Fusion has 42,000 miles and I changed my fluid recently. Actually the FNR5 fluid from MC has a different colar than most ATF fluids. It's almost a Orange colar rather than the traditonal colar. I just pulled the drain plug and got 3.5 qts. out but the old fluid looked fine. Unless your tranny has been subjected to very harsh conditions you should be fine.

Originally Posted By: LC
I have a 2006 Milan with 93,000 miles, same trans and engine as your Fusion. The owner’s manual says to change at 150,000 miles; yes that is what it says.
I went 90,000 on my transmission fluid with out any problems.
It never looked red even when new, kind of a brownish red.
I just used my siphon pump and sucked out 3 quarts and replaced that with the newest Mobil 1 syn ATF it Meets the requirements of the Mazda FNR5 transmission.
I did siphon again and replaced 3 quarts at 93,000 miles.
I would not worry about having 40,000 mile on original fluid.

As I already stated my 07 Fusion has a drain plug. Check and see if your 06 does. Also I e-mailed Mobiltech about using M1 ATF in my Fusion with the FNR-5 fluid and I was told it isn't compatable. Either the guy gave me bad info or you got the wrong scoop. Where is that info found on the M1? Would like to know.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
This is great! Everyone here has great info and a big help. So the trans pan has a drain plug?

Yes it does. Drop the large shield under the engine compartment and you will see it. By the way I just left mine off. Don't see a reason for it so I'm leaving it off. The Fusion is a great car. Love the ride and handling and MPG.

say it right here: https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx
Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
ATF-MV is what my manual says to use and its is on the dipstick also. If your interested in Redline products I contacted them and they said "Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your FNR5 automatic transmission I would recommend the D4ATF, would satisfy the fluid requirements.
Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil"
And My 06 does not have a drain plug.

So what you are saying is that the Mazda MV oil is the same as the Ford FNR-5 oil?
Sorry about the drain plug. I gyess that's a 07 improvement.

Last edited:
Yes,it is a mazda transmission and uses the same oil.
And I sure wish I had a drain plug.
They are great cars. I plan I keeping mine for a long time.

I am a long time user of M1 ATF( ever since they invented the stuff) so I may go ahead and put it in.

Originally Posted By: tig1
So what you are saying is that the Mazda MV oil is the same as the Ford FNR-5 oil?
Sorry about the drain plug. I gyess that's a 07 improvement.

I would say it is. If you look near the back of your owners manual (a chart with part numbers for fluids and such) you will see that says use the motorcraft version or the Mazda MV fluid. I know for sure it is in the 09 owners manual but not too sure about the 06 manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back