How to get a broken car key on a key ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key fell on the pavement and broke. Any ideas of how to get the key back on the key ring? Drilling is probably not an option as there is an immobilizer chip inside.

Anyone know of any key cases to buy that will do the job?

IMG_1466.jpg

I'd go down to the hardware store or locksmith and see if they have one of those universal rubber key fobs and maybe you could find one that'll fit over.

I had the same style Nissan key break on me. I just drilled a new hole. The "immobalizer" as you call it is nothing more than a magnet in a blue plastic sheath if I remember correctly.

Mighty Puty can save the day!!! Never mind if the pitch man is dead he pulled a ship and a two big rigs with Mighty Puty! It is a solid two part epoxy you can get it at Walmart in the As Seen on TV section. Cut a chunk about 1/2 in long need it like dough then make a worm like you used to do with play dough as a kid and attach it bridging the missing sections. I would make a piece for both sides and press them together so they bond to the key plastic material and to each other. Let it dry and you can even file it to a nice shape if you want and paint it black.

If you don't mind it looking a little odd and maybe chunky, find something flat, sturdy, and about the size of the key. Drill a hole in it if there isn't already one and JB Weld the piece of material to the key.

Whatever you end up doing, take a pic of it afterwards and share.

You could wrap a tie strap around the base and another to your key ring. Jerry Rigging I think it's called. LOL!

Originally Posted By: 97f150
I would probably carry the key around loose until I could replace it.

cheers3.gif
I had to do this once when my original keyhead wore out (gm made them from rubber and not plastic like aftermarket) until I found the other set of keys I had (right where I left them hanging up behind some others
33.gif
). Strange thing was the hardware store one would open the left door and trunk, but not ignition or right door (2 door '00 cavalier). I took it back in and got another one made with same reuslts. I went down the street to chev dealer and the one they made worked right first time. That was the only time and only car I had replacement keys give me a problem; even now with our '03 impala.

The key is a second Master Key so it's not a problem.

Making a duplicate key from anywhere other than the Nissan Dealer will not start the car but will open the door due to an immobilizer chip built inside the OEM Key.

Last edited:
Well, if you want/need to go the ghetto route, I'd find a common metal washer, and JB-Weld it to the face of the plastic part of the key. At least I think that has a chance to hold.

Longer term, I see this as a problem that the industry needs to solve. We have to have a way of getting keys made that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. We also need a way to do this without needing to go to the dealer. For many vehicles on the road, I don't have a have a dealer within 150 miles of me.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
The key is a second Master Key so it's not a problem.

Making a duplicate key from anywhere other than the Nissan Dealer will not start the car but will open the door due to an immobilizer chip built inside the OEM Key.

I don't think you need to go to the dealer. When I bought my car, both of my keys were duplicates. I think it was a repo so a locksmith must have cut them, and they work fine.

That's a good point... as I recall now... at least for some makes, if you go to a professional locksmith, they have the ability to handle these electronic keys. On the other hand, the European makes are not available from anyone other than the dealer.

The keys for my F-150 are PATS keys("immobilizing chips"). In the owners manual it tells you how to program your own key blank, but you need 2 keys already programmed. I bought two PATS keys off of ebay for $15 and programmed them with the instructions from the owners manual.

A duplicate key will work in the ignition if you hide or mount the original key with the immobilizer chip somewhere under oir around the steering column.

I believe people also do this when they want to install a remote start In a vehicle equipped with an immobilizer system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back