Tips for removing radiator hoses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend I am changing my 1995 Toyota Hilux's coolant, the radiator doesn't have a drain plug on it.So the bottom hose has to be removed to drain it.
But I always battle to get it off by hand(it is also in an awkward place).

Does anyone have any tips on removing radiator hoses?

If you're trying to avoid any damage to the hose, it is just going to be a battle. I always try to use a large flat-blade screwdriver to pry the hose off the tank nipple by prying against the flat end of the hose on one side until it peels loose, then moving around. But you can't always find a way to pry.

If you just want the hoses off easily and you're going to replace them- slit them along the nipple with a box cutter or utility knife and then insert a screwdriver in the slit and pry it open.

It used to be hard to pull these, for some reason on my GM it's was quite easy and the hoses after 150k miles still looked new.

As a matter of fact I just changed the last hose on the water pump house (lower radiator hose) a couple of months ago and the location of the clamp is the only thing that gave me a hard time. Maybe Dexcool extends hose life?

Just giggle, twist and pull.

Originally Posted By: labman
I often grip them With Channellocks and twist. Once broken loose, they pull off fairly easily.

That's my game plan also, works with spark plug wires/boots too.

When no special tools are available.Put 2 pieces of clear plastic tubing over the channellock jaws as not to damage the hose.Twist carefully at the fitting left and right to break it free.

Some of the advice is tough on tank connections, such as prying with screwdriver or twisting with channellocks. A cheaper alternative to the set that The Critic suggested is a cotter pin puller. Many companies make them. They work great for pulling hoses. I use one very often for this.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00994229000P

You slip the point between the hose and connection and work it around the circumference to free it up. Then work it off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
It used to be hard to pull these, for some reason on my GM it's was quite easy and the hoses after 150k miles still looked new.

As a matter of fact I just changed the last hose on the water pump house (lower radiator hose) a couple of months ago and the location of the clamp is the only thing that gave me a hard time. Maybe Dexcool extends hose life?

I think Dexcool does or any non-silicon coolant. That old green would weld hoses on so tight.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Some of the advice is tough on tank connections, such as prying with screwdriver or twisting with channellocks. A cheaper alternative to the set that The Critic suggested is a cotter pin puller. Many companies make them. They work great for pulling hoses. I use one very often for this.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00994229000P

You slip the point between the hose and connection and work it around the circumference to free it up. Then work it off.

That tool is great for prying off all kinds of things, like trim pieces and clips. I saw a professional glass installer use one of thoise to tear down the door trim panels in nothing flat. I still think Channel locks work good for hoses though if you only put just enough pressure to keep the pliers from slipping while you twist it.

Well, when you get this off THIS TIME, apply something that won't let the hose vulcanize to the hose bib. Apply it to the hose bib and not the hose so that it won't leech into the coolant (if that would worry some).

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, when you get this off THIS TIME, apply something that won't let the hose vulcanize to the hose bib. Apply it to the hose bib and not the hose so that it won't leech into the coolant (if that would worry some).

Would red rubber grease be okay?

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I have used Vasoline in the past. Seems to work well.

An o-ring lube.

Me too in the days of "green" coolant.

Not to dispute you, but my HiLux has a radiator drain plug on the passenger side. It is a little hard to see, but there.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
If you're trying to avoid any damage to the hose, it is just going to be a battle. I always try to use a large flat-blade screwdriver to pry the hose off the tank nipple by prying against the flat end of the hose on one side until it peels loose, then moving around. But you can't always find a way to pry.

If you just want the hoses off easily and you're going to replace them- slit them along the nipple with a box cutter or utility knife and then insert a screwdriver in the slit and pry it open.

This method works well, just be careful you don't score the outlet pipe or it will leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back