2003 Neon SXT 2.0 hard start, what could cause it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sisters '03 Neon has been having consistent hard starts for a long time now. It takes like 4 seconds of cranking. I don't think it is typical changing gas grades hard starting. What could be causing it? Bad fuel pump?

I recently changed the timing belt, plugs and air cleaner a few months ago but it was an issue before that. I'm pretty sure it has no CEL.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Starter dying?

No the starter sounds strong when it is cranking

I have not run any fuel system cleaner through it.

That's the cheapest thing to do first. A pressure check on the fuel rail would be the next step.

neonpres.jpg

Even simpler;

Turn on the ignition and count
One Thousand One
One Thousand Two
One Thousand Three
One Thousand Four
One Thousand Five

Now crank it and see if it starts instantly.

- Vikas

Do all neons have that port on the fuel rail to hook up the gauge? I'll just do what Vikas said and get back.

I take it if it start instantly after counting to 5 with the ignition off that means that it was the fuel pump?

I would check the fuel pressure regulator before replacing the fuel pump, on that car the fuel filter is also part of the regulator. It would involve doing what Gary said and hooking up a fuel pressure tester.

Yes all Neons have a schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Right.
Or, you could spray a shot of starting fluid in the intake and see if she pops immediately.
I doubt the ignition is fixing itself every day.
But a weak pump or plugged filter could do this.

One more thing... a temperature sensor may be faulty, and the cold engine is not getting the fuel it should to start.
And any vacuum leaks make cold starting worse.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "I doubt the ignition is fixing itself every day"?

The fuel pump has an internal check valve that maintains pressure in the line when the engine is shut off. If fuel pressure drops off while shutdown, it will take a few seconds to pressurize the fuel line which in turn leads to longer cranking times.

Hook your fuel pressure tester up and start the car, shut it off and see if the pressure bleeds down, if it does you need a fuel pump module. The module includes the pump, sending unit, regulator and plumbing, I don't know if you can get just a pump alone.

I have my stock fuel pump module assembly out of my SRT-4 I wonder if it would work in my Sister's car.

Originally Posted By: 7055
I have my stock fuel pump module assembly out of my SRT-4 I wonder if it would work in my Sister's car.

It should. If you were to buy a new pump module, Airtex brand for example, you would get their part number E7142M. This part number is for all Neons 01-05 with 2.0 or 2.4 turbo engines.

http://www.showmetheparts.com/airtex/#

7055 - Ignition problems are rarely consistent and intermittent at the same time.
A bad spark plug, wire, or coil would not be bad and then fix itself on a very regular and repeatable basis.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
New copper plugs every 30k miles (or less) on those.

Say I'm in Olathe too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back