I'm putting the Redline 0w30 in today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. Its 35 here this am when I checked, and the stuff is dripping off like WATER.

Then I move to the Amsoil 0w-20 in my other car, and it's sticking to the dipstick like normal, and well defined.

I can't wait to see my UOA because this stuff from its appearances and anecdotal performance I have seen so far rivals my trusty Amsoil.

Will be interesting to see...
thumbsup2.gif

True.

I'm running two 5k oci's on the Sonata and then running it. Terry had me change the air filter and pcv valve after the Mobil 0w-20 run, so it wont be a fair comparison. I've decided to move the Scion over the Red Line after I dump the Amsoil.

Last edited:
Do you have the stupid Cotton-Gauze filter on your car? If so I would dump it and the air-box and get an after market Conical like I did or you will have an elevated SI reading.

Im still amazed how thin it was at 35 degrees F, and even warmer it is just very slippery stuff on the dipstick.

I have a OEM filter in the Sonata, and its not a cotton gauze kind. The Scion had that weird Toyo gauze thing, but I know have a TRD CAI intake on it.

I was just running the OEM filter for 20k miles, and Terry said 10k. I was at 13k, and it looked [censored] so I changed it.

The PCV valve had never been done in 67k miles (I was slacking and knew better), and the new one rattled good, while the old one sounds like it was trying to rattle in muck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have 2K KM (1.2K Miles) to go before I drain this first fill of Red Line.

And so how many km/miles will be done at the end of this first OCI?

I was thinking about getting one of my cheap oil sample tests done on this run just so I would have numbers to compare the the final run to see how they trend down.

I was hoping you would do this Stevie. Your previous UOAs have been pretty uneventful. Inquiring minds want to know if RL will throw up its crazy #s in this first run.

I don't know if I'm just drinking the BITOG koolaid but I've been thinking about selecting a Redline oil to try in my BMW instead of GC...

If only it were as easy to get as GC or Amsoil.

Any idea if Carquest in Canada can order it?

I can tell you, I'm not a koolaid drinker here, which is why I pay to be member of Terry's blog.

I understand Red Line is not great for every application, which is the same for all oils, but it's a HIGH quality oil and I wanna see what it does after it's run and checked out by Terry.

Also, from seeing my UOA's with fram orange [censored] o cans, I think the filters mean less than we think they do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

Depending where in the Torontoish area you are there are a couple Rline dealers I have called slight north of TO that can get it.

I have a Carquest near me. I will see if I can stop by today and see.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
I have 2K KM (1.2K Miles) to go before I drain this first fill of Red Line.

And so how many km/miles will be done at the end of this first OCI?

I was thinking about getting one of my cheap oil sample tests done on this run just so I would have numbers to compare the the final run to see how they trend down.

I was hoping you would do this Stevie. Your previous UOAs have been pretty uneventful. Inquiring minds want to know if RL will throw up its crazy #s in this first run.

I will have 5K KM's on it then... and I will run this sample through Toromont testing here in Toronto so we have a starting point to see how the number show up/change over consecutive runs.

It's funny though how most on bitog use to trash the [censored] out of redline for years and now people are starting to see that it's a very good oil. The UOA will be of some interest, but I don't put much stock into them after seeing great UOA's only to see beat up bearings and worn cam lobes(no it wasn't mobil 1!
lol.gif
)

I'm super impressed how the M1 0w40 tamed the subaru boxer engine. If Redline is better at smoothing things out I just might have to give it a try!

Originally Posted By: webfors
I'm super impressed how the M1 0w40 tamed the subaru boxer engine. If Redline is better at smoothing things out I just might have to give it a try!

I don't know if RL's better at smoothing things out than M1 0W-40, but it's definitely much, much, much, much better at it than M1 5W-30 and PP 5W-30.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
It's funny though how most on bitog use to trash the [censored] out of redline for years and now people are starting to see that it's a very good oil. The UOA will be of some interest, but I don't put much stock into them after seeing great UOA's only to see beat up bearings and worn cam lobes(no it wasn't mobil 1!
lol.gif
)

Well, that's kind of what I meant by my Kool-Aid comment. I've used Redline driveline products for years, but never bothered with their engine oil. Poor UOAs, expensive, and lots of other great options out there.

For whatever reason, I'm feeling like giving their motor oils a try for cleanliness and quietness and a lot of BITOGers seem to be giving it a go lately too - don't know why. Something in the water?

Hi Craig,

I did drop by my local Canadian Carquest and I guess unlike their cousins in the States they don't carry Redline products nor can they order them.

I don't know if I'm just drinking the BITOG koolaid but I've been thinking about selecting a Redline oil to try in my BMW instead of GC...

If only it were as easy to get as GC or Amsoil.

Don't know where you are in Toronto, but JRP Racing in Mississauga (QEW and Winston Churchill) carries Redline, but it was a pricey $13 a litre last time I checked. I think Stevie got it for cheaper someplace near Stoney Creek.

Also, I can't believe there are 24 pages to a post about some guy putting Redline in his engine...hahaha..
BITOGers = OCD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back