What do you guys think of this tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That picture looks just like my car except mine is brown, other than that, that's it. Also, I have the SE-i model which was their special edition and took a different size of tires from the other trims.

EDIT: The flip-up headlights still work too

Last edited:
I basicly grew up in them. Mom had a 1986 for 10 years and I had a 1987 for a while. GF had a 1987 too.

Originally Posted By: nfs480
I ordered them earlier today, I chose them for winter handling and because they aren't expensive at all. Also, the last time my dad bought super cheap tires they became out of round pretty quickly (the reason for buying this set)

Those are ultra high performance all season tires. They're going to be FAR from the best all season tire for winter driving.

IMO, you'd have been much better off going with a standard all season tire. Something like the Pirelli P4 4 seasons.

The Bridgestones are meant for high performance cars that need basic all season traction as well, like BMWs and Mercedes. High Performance capable that won't make you skid off the road should you encounter light winter conditions. If you get a blizzard, they're not going to do you much compared to the Pirelli I mentioned.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I ordered them earlier today, I chose them for winter handling and because they aren't expensive at all. Also, the last time my dad bought super cheap tires they became out of round pretty quickly (the reason for buying this set)

Those are ultra high performance all season tires. They're going to be FAR from the best all season tire for winter driving.

IMO, you'd have been much better off going with a standard all season tire. Something like the Pirelli P4 4 seasons.

The Bridgestones are meant for high performance cars that need basic all season traction as well, like BMWs and Mercedes. High Performance capable that won't make you skid off the road should you encounter light winter conditions. If you get a blizzard, they're not going to do you much compared to the Pirelli I mentioned.

The 195/60R14 size is one of those odd sizes. In many ways it was considered somewhat of a "performance car" size for some of the lighter cars with better handling of the late 80s and early 90s. The P4 doesn't come in that size, and the choices aren't going to be much different - basically performance all seasons and some all-season touring tires. I really don't think that the RE960AS in that size can be beat considering the price. I can't find anything else in that size that costs less.

There probably were a lot more options for that size years ago. Right now the tendency for cars in similar performance classes are to go to 15"/16" wheels.

I've actually driven on RE960AS in somewhat deep snow. It actually did OK. Traction was decent for an all-season tire and I never really felt unsafe. I did once slide out after taking a turn too hard, but basically I knocked over some snow and figured out that I couldn't take a tight turn at 20 MPH. Of course I probably would have had a tough time finding the right tire for snow short of a real winter tire.

This would probably be the ideal solution:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...cleSearch=false

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

The 195/60R14 size is one of those odd sizes. In many ways it was considered somewhat of a "performance car" size for some of the lighter cars with better handling of the late 80s and early 90s. The P4 doesn't come in that size, and the choices aren't going to be much different - basically performance all seasons and some all-season touring tires. I really don't think that the RE960AS in that size can be beat considering the price. I can't find anything else in that size that costs less.

There probably were a lot more options for that size years ago. Right now the tendency for cars in similar performance classes are to go to 15"/16" wheels.

I've actually driven on RE960AS in somewhat deep snow. It actually did OK. Traction was decent for an all-season tire and I never really felt unsafe. I did once slide out after taking a turn too hard, but basically I knocked over some snow and figured out that I couldn't take a tight turn at 20 MPH. Of course I probably would have had a tough time finding the right tire for snow short of a real winter tire.

When I was searching on tirerack, the Bridgestone RE960AS seemed to have one of the best snow ratings in my size and was the cheapest so I figured it would be the best overall for my situation. Unfortunately, snow tires are out of my budget right now so i'm just trying to do the best I can with what i've got. So far i've gotten through 4 winters in this car with terrible, nearly bald, and out of round Enduro tires so I think these will definitely be an improvement for me.

When I was searching on tirerack, the Bridgestone RE960AS seemed to have one of the best snow ratings in my size and was the cheapest so I figured it would be the best overall for my situation. Unfortunately, snow tires are out of my budget right now so i'm just trying to do the best I can with what i've got. So far i've gotten through 4 winters in this car with terrible, nearly bald, and out of round Enduro tires so I think these will definitely be an improvement for me.

Personally I'd think that's about as good as you're going to find in that size. It's state of the art for an all-season tire when it comes to winter traction. That doesn't mean as good as a dedicated winter tire, but pretty good nonetheless.

Just one more thing to think about when you're talking about hydroplaning resistance and snow traction is that the 1989 Accord is a relatively light car (about 2500-2600 lbs) and heavily biased to weight over the front axle. The tires are actually quite wide with a fairly large contact patch. Unless you've got weight in the trunk the rear end is likely to give out first. A lot of the reviews for the same tire model are from their application in much heavier cars with only marginally wider tires. When reading the Tire Rack reviews, it's probably better to concentrate on those applications that are closer to your car. A lot of the heavier cars can do better in snow because their heavier weight means that they've less likely to "float" on heavy snow.

I had an '88 LX w/ 2.0 L 2bbl carb and put on 340,000 miles in 18 years. It came w/ 185-70-13 Michelin's and I put on the optional size of 195-60-14's of a variety of brands over the years. Mostly Dunlop GT Qualifier and Kelly Charger. Once in a while, I would put on a private label brand like...GrandPrix, GrandAm, Mastercraft, El Dorado. This car saw alot of hard winters.

I remember the '89 SE-i as nfs480 mentioned. It had leather interior, steering wheel mounted radio controls and rear disk brakes from the Prelude. It was the only Accord w/4 wheel disk(no ALB as Honda calls ABS and no air bags). And Yes, stock tires were the same as the Accord LX-i and Honda Prelude in the 195-60-14 but, the SE-i had their own aluminum wheels that differed from othe models.

My leather interior is shot though :(, had to put on seat covers. At least the seat covers are leather :)

Looks like the pricing must have been an error, just went back on tirerack.com and those tires are now $74 instead of $47. It's cool because they only charged me $47 for my set.

Looks like the pricing must have been an error, just went back on tirerack.com and those tires are now $74 instead of $47. It's cool because they only charged me $47 for my set.

I see $64. Still a good price.

I see $64. Still a good price.

Yeah, looks like they changed it again.

Hey nfs

Congratulations on a truly great tire purchase! Honestly, you could not have done much (if at all) better.

I had a set of RE960AS on my Taurus, and after that car was totaled my brother put the tires on his Taurus--they are still a sharp, good-handling tire with good tread after 40K mi.

I have also owned ContiExtremeContact, Bridgestone Turanza, and now Kuhmo KR21 on my Buick. The RE960AS has nearly the grip and wet/snow traction of the ContiExtremeContact at half the price, and is a longer lasting tire to boot. The only reason I am not using the RE960AS now is because I can't get them in the size I need.

Way to go! You did good.

Yeah, I can vouch for that. Their winter traction is marginal at best.

When I was searching on tirerack, the Bridgestone RE960AS seemed to have one of the best snow ratings in my size

They may have one of the best snow ratings in their category (UHP all-season), but that's really not saying much. Typically, UHP A/S tires don't put much emphasis on winter driving. They excel in dry/wet conditions during the other three seasons. And the way TireRack's ratings are set up, you cannot compare ratings across different tire categories. So, a UHP A/S tire with a 7 rating for winter may in fact be worse than a standard touring A/S tire with a winter rating of 6.

We have RE960 A/S on both cars. So, from personal experience I can say that they're great tires and do everything well except for winter. I mean, you can get by, but you really have to be super careful. Considering your circumstances, I think you would have been better served by a less performance-oriented tire that gives up some of that maximum summer grip but in turn offers better winter characteristics. Alas, it looks like you have already made your purchase. Like I said, not the end of the world - you'll manage I'm sure.

Yeah, although I can't see how this tires could do any worse than the previous tires i've owned. I've gotten pretty good at controlling the direction my car slides.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
My Michelin Pilot Sport brochure knocks the 960s hard for their snow performance.

For 2x the cost? Why not spend more to get a snow and a summer tire instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back