Pennzoil Platinum European Formula 5W30 mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been three days I've been looking for Pennzoil Platinum EUROPEAN FORMULA 5W30 oil (Not for diesel engines)without any success...
I just can not find it nowhere so I called Pennzoil if they still produce it. They said yes but were not able to tell me where exactly I can buy it. I also called to every single auto parts store in my area but nobody has it.... I check online but just find either diesel one, 5W40 or not European formula.... I am looking just for this specific oil.... I would really appreciate any advice.... (My ZIp is 01915)
It is really strange that product which is according manufacturer distributed in United States it's just not possible to buy nowhere...and not even order from auto parts store.... I even emailed to Pennzoil customer service and did not get any answer yet....

Last edited:
I've seen the 5W-40 version occassionally. Never the 5W-30 version. Silly that PZ doesn't make it more availiable - same with the 0W-20 PP.

I JUST GET THIS E-MAIL FROM SHELL/PENNZOIL CUSTOMER SERVICE:

Hello Jozef,

I have checked on Pennzoil's website (http://www.pennzoil.com) and it
seems that all retail sites near you are auto parts shop, which you
might have called already. You mal also try the following retailers.

Target 13
240 Independence Way
Denvers, Ma 1923
Tel no. 978-762-4439

Target 14
227 Highland Avenue
Salem, Ma
Tel No. 978-224-4000

Walmart 14
55 Brooksby Village Way
Danvers, MA
Tel no. 978-777-6977

If in any case you would opt to look for alternative grades, you may
contact our Product Technical Team (Pennzoil/Quakerstate ) at
1-800-237-8645 (options 4,2).

Thank you for contacting Shell.

Shell Customer Service

Originally Posted By: Jozef
I am looking just for this specific oil.... I would really appreciate any advice....

Also, are you ready to buy large quantities of it? According to this product sheet, it only comes in 55-gal drums.

No it isn't one of those oils is for diesel engines and other one isn't European Formula

You are right....
I just get another e-mail from Pennzoil....

Dear Jozef,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Pennzoil Platinum Euro Ultra 5W-30 motor oil (stock# 5063827) is
only available in a 55 gallon drum.

Best Regards,
Technical Service - RM

Yeah, I'm guessing it's a shop product targeted at European car dealership service departments, although I've never heard of any MB/BMW/VW dealer actually using it.

What car/engine did you want it for?

Last edited:
I am definitely not going for that.....
I am going to use regular - not European Formula..... (Hopefully it meets VW 502.00 criteria for my 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo...not sure but I think it does) Can somebody explain to me the difference? Or why Noneuropean formula isn't on VW approval list...Thanx

Or why Noneuropean formula isn't on VW approval list...Thanx

For it to meet the VW 502.00 spec, the oil has to have a certain viscosity at 100 deg. C as well as a robust HT/HS (3.5 or higher). The non-euro PP grades don't meet those requirements because they're mostly concerned with lower fuel economy. And unfortunately you can't claim improved fuel economy with such high HT/HS.

But there are a lot of other oils out there that meet VW 502.00. M1 0w-40 and GC 0w-30 are the two that are relatively easy to find locally. FYI, I used GC 0w-30 in my '01 A4 1.8T with excellent results.

Thanx it was helpful ...
I wanted to use this oil mainly because of proclaimed Superior Active Cleansing Agents which (according to Pennzoil) are able to cleans up to 46% of existing sludge... (even I don't have one) 5W40 doesn't contains this agents.... Its just Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5W-30 oils and 0W-30...

Superior Active Cleansing Agents which (according to Pennzoil) are able to cleans up to 46% of existing sludge...

Sounds like marketing gibberish to me. (sorry Johnny
55.gif
)

The reason is I bought this car and dont know nothing about it's oil change history and since Passats 1.8T without proper maintenance are prone to sludge and I dont know if there isn't sludge building up in my engine (even there are no signs of it)...
I know you are probably right but I just wanted to give it try....
Do you have some other sugestions?

I mean suggestions with the cleaning part....

You could try AutoRx. You'll find more info about it in the Oil Additives subforum here on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back