Disappointed with the Giro Atmos

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was at REI today, I came across this super nice Giro Atmos for only $99. Normally, they are $175. Even though the color wasn't my first choice, I bought it anyway since an Atmos in Large is difficult to find on sale.

Helmet1.jpg

Then, I came home and discovered this:

Helmet2.jpg

What a disappointment. For a product that normally sells for $175, I would expect it to be made in the USA. Funny thing is, Giro's headquarters are about 5 miles from me.

I loved giro helmets in the early '90s when I worked in a shop. US made, was a much better helmet than the Bell offerings at the time.
somewhere along the line they got bought or something, production moved overseas like everything else, and the prices went up.
I'm sick of outsourcing. the line they used to feed the consumer was 'lower prices'. yeah, right. now, they think we'll buy a premium label and pay a premium price even though its coming out of the same sweatshops as the low end stuff.
I'm happy US law requires country of origin labeling. I will always look for a made in USA label, and in lieu of that, I'll take a Mexican, Vietnamese, Malaysian or Lesotho product before a Chinese one. they have enough of the market already.
remember back in the day when so many things said 'made in Hong Kong'? or the REALLY rare one, 'made in Japan'? I'm always happily surprised to find something made in Japan these days.

Originally Posted By: MtnMike
Are there any helmets still made in the USA?

None of which I am aware.

Also, just because something is made in China doesn't mean it's not of good quality. My '07 Giro Atmos was made in China, and it is of exceptional quality. Pretty much all of our beloved modern tech gadgets are made in China, and the vast majority of those items function just fine.

Now if you really want bike specific items NOT made in China, check the labels on the following:
Assos clothing - made in Switzerland and VERY EXPENSIVE - try $300 for a short sleeve jersey, and $600 for a jacket.
Shimano drivetrain components - Japan (mostly)
High-End Campagnolo drivetrain components - Italy
Time bicycle frames - France
Ellsworth bike frames - USA
FOX suspension components - think some stuff still made in USA

me personally I don't have a problem BECAUSE it is made in China, I have a problem w/ the incredible markups on those items. China has cornered the market on mfg because of the cheap labor force and access to suppliers; all that should make for a low priced commodity, not $175 helmets.
I remember when I was in HS converse canvas sneakers were very popular, all the pastel colors, etc (it WAS the 80s after all)and you could pick up a pair for like $30 or less. American made shoe back then. NOW, they outsourced converse to China and the shoes are like $60. sure, it's some years later, but come on! same really w/ any shoe from China (and they almost all are).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back