$700 to spend on tires, need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason Adcock,

I wouldn't give CR that much credence pertaining their tire recommendations per Tireracks testing/consumer feedback Kumho are ranked 3rd overall just behind MXV4 & Altimax.

Nevertheless, CR are the one's still recommend Toyota/Lexus w/ know sludge issue(s) & Honda(s)/Acura(s) w/ tranny issues.

Regards,
~Button

I would place a low priority to the Tirerack consumer feedback rating system since it lumps different vehicles with different tire sizes under different drivers of all types experience into the same "cell" for a rating.

I would, however, give their professional reviews a lot of value provided you are comparing apples:apples.

CR's tire testing is based on data. User reviews at Tire Rack are subjective. No testing results are perfect, but I've still never seen anyone objectively place the Kumho LX Platinum above the Michelin Primacy MXV4 in any instrumented testing. Even in the Tire Rack testing (which I agree is much more valuable than the user reviews as a data point), the Kumho got beat by the Michelin in every single measured category.

So I decided to go with the Micheline Pilot Sport A/S Plus tire, got them for $709 shipped from tire rack. I'll let you guys know how well they perform.
55.gif

Consumer Reports November 09 issue did a major tire test and says Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is best V rated tire (it has a 45,000 treadwear warranty) and Michelin Primacy MXV4 is best H rated tire (60,000 mile treadwear warranty. Primacy got top rating for rolling resistence (fuel economy).

We put the Primacy MXV4 on My 09 Camry LE V6 and wife's 02 Lexus ES300 before that report came out ....... but decided based on extensive research including tirerack.com reviews that rate it as best tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

Retail on these is about $150 each and with sales tax, road hazard, lifetime balance - a set of 4 retails for about $800. I got mine at NTB when Michelins were on sale and paid $650 for four. Wife got a Costco price of $600 for a set of four installed, road hazard, and balance and NTB matched it.

Our experience is that the Primacy is a great tire, quiet, improved handling over OEM tires - and hopefully will last as long as the treadwear warranty says.

I have the primacy on my 07 Accord and they are a great tire. I got a set of four installed at Big O for 623.00 with a 75 dollar rebate....yet to come...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back