2 CJ4 results 4 08F350 Castrol15w40 & Amsoil 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me know what you think of the results below. I'm new to this stuff :)
I just bought this truck this summer. It had Castrol CJ4 15w40 in it when i bought it(or so they say).....so it's the oil sampled Oct 12 with 4331 km (2707 miles) on it. It had high Al and Na.
I then put in the new formula Amsoil 5w40 CJ4 oil in. It is the oil sampled Oct 22 with 5026 km (3141 miles) on it. They compared it to the old formula...hence the high boron and magnesium...as they cranked it up in the new formula.

The truck only has 45000 km (28125 miles) on it.

[img:center]
TRIBRPTamsoil5w40oilanalysisat45000.jpg
[/img]

[img:center]
TRIBRPTamsoil5w40oilanalysisat45-1.jpg
[/img]

As for the 92.3 VISC40 on the first change this is what they said.

Use of incorrect viscosity grade, contamination with different grade of oil or fuel,
incorrect label information provided

Incase you can't read it.

1st change had Al 14, Na 28, 40C Visc 92.3

Comments from them.

Na - Sodium Sodium is commonly ingressed as road/sea salt. In engines, Sodium in conjunction
with high potassium and/or boron indicates coolant and/or coolant additive presence.
Other sources may include detergent additive (limited use), grease additive.

VISC40 - VISC40 Use of incorrect viscosity grade, contamination with different grade of oil or fuel,
incorrect label information provided.

Both of those show they can go longer, the 40Visc reading looks like it is on the second oil, so being a 5w-40 looks perfectly reasonable to me, plus the 100C visc. readings are on the mark.
Amsoil has incredible Oxidation readings even for so low miles.
Nothing sticks out as bad at this time, Na may be from an additive in Amsoil, not so familiar with that oil.

Boron is also FM, EP add.
Magnesium is a detergent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back