Strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
07 Toyota Avalon with Toyo Versado tires with about 2K miles on them. Stock OEM wheels and tire size. Having a very hard time getting a good balance on the tires. Had a set of Coopers for about 2K before that with the same problem.

On rough textured pavement the ride is fine. However, when I get on newer perfectly smooth pavement I have a constant vibration. Vibration will kick in around 67mph and continue as speed increases. In all my years of driving I have never experienced this before. Has anyone else had this happen?

Should I spring for a road force balance?

Any suggestions appreciated.

first, try rotating the tires to see if there is a difference. yes, go for the road force balance. also, are you the original owner of the car? could one or more of the wheels be bent?

In my case - I bought a Toyota with low miles (15k) that had two brand new tires on it. and I too get a vibration above 60. if I rotate those wheels to the back the imbalance is not noticable. although I dont see it, I presume that the previous owner hit something that took out the tires and bent the rims. I have two bent/imbalanced rims so I am ordering two new.

I am the original owner and as far as I know the wheels are ok and not bent. I have never hit anything with the car that would cause that.

I will try the rotation.

Should I rotate front/back or X pattern?

It will be a month or so before I can spring for the $$$$$ for a road force balance.

always rotate with the X pattern. (unless you have directional tires) so... fronts go straight back and X the rears as you move them forward. (at least on a FWD)

Spent Saturday afternoon rotating these tires myself. Lacked the proper tools to do it quickly. Had to use the spare and up and down several times, but I finally got it. Took it out for a drive and sure enough the front is steady and the vibes are now from the rear in the seat of my pants. I have isolated the culprit.

Next step is a road force balance. Hopefully that should cure any vibes.

Last edited:
Got the road force balancing done today.

Both on front 7 pounds road force.

Left rear 9 pounds road force.

Right rear 28 pounds road force. The Hunter machine recommends replacement of wheel. Too much run out on rim.
Darn it, but I knew something was wrong and this confirms that I was correct.

Dealer wants $496 for a new wheel.
Online I found it for $364 - but not sure how much shipping.

Looking online at salvage parts, some listed as new for $175 -$200, but I am unsure of that route.

Also thought of just putting spare on and bad wheel as the spare.

Another option is to go with Tire Rack and all new wheels-tires as a set and put them on myself when delivered.

I need time to ponder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back