Ubuntu 9.10 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have attempted to load version 9.10 and have had a problem with Grub. It just would not install on my computer. I use a boot manager and have Windows 7 on one drive and two distributions of Linux on the other. Ended up using LILO and that worked. Had the same issue with my laptop as the Gnome version would not install Grub either. Am reinstalling now using the Kubuntu version which I run on my desktop and we will see how that develops.

Am using EasyBCD as a boot manager.

Link to boot manager.

Never had any issues in the past using it with other Linux distributions.

On the laptop have only one hard drive and in all cases have the Linux boot manager loaded in the Linux Partition.

If you're going to dual boot, install Windows first and leave an empty partition for Linux (or BSD or whatever). Otherwise, Windows tends to clobber the master boot record in favor of itself. I'm having no issues at all with Ubuntu + XP/Win7 and CentOS + WinXP/Win7.

Best,

I simply could not get Grub to work with my bootmanager. As previously mentioned did get LILO working. Have used countless Linux distributions fooling around and never had that issue. I am not using Grub as the default boot manager but rather am loading it in the same partition as Linux.

Tried on my laptop with no luck. What did work as I installed Windows then used the default Linux install and Grub as the boot manager. That worked. Noticed that that the version of Grub that came with Ubuntu and Kubuntu, 9.10 is in Beta.

That said I like many of the features the new version offers.

Plan on loading Linux Mint 8 KDE version on the desktop later and the Gnome version on my Laptop when it is released.

Main Point is I am up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back