Pour spout for metal solvent cans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has tried to pour an ounce or two of paint thinner or other solvent out of the generic rectangular metal can that stuff comes in, many of you have probably made a mess and caused a lot of cussing as I have.
56.gif

Does somebody make a pour spout designed to fit those gallon jugs? I've seen them for oil bottles, but I doubt that's the same thread pattern...

It is amazing how many people don't know that basic. That includes the nitwit that designed the current 5 Quart oil bottles with the handle on the opposite side as the spout. Even many 1 quart bottles have a little picture showing pouring spout down. Think of how much pollution we could eliminate if the EPA started a campaign teaching pour spout up.

Quick wrap with a good quality duck tape problem solved instant pour spout. Same trick works the same on the inside chime of paint cans no mess at all been doing this for years and years.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
You are pouring with the spout side on top, right?

That's the problem, there is NO spout. Just a hole in the top of the can, and, when it's full, and you only want a little fluid, it's impossible to pour without at least covering the top of the can in fluid.

Just like this:
GAC18_2_R.jpg

I know, and when you pour from the full can, the right side of the can in the picture will be down, so the liquid just pours from the top surface with no force on it. Of course, you will need to pour into a decent sized container or funnel...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Of course, you will need to pour into a decent sized container or funnel...

That's the problem, I just want to pour out an ounce or two here and there, without making a huge mess. Nobody makes spouts for these kinds of cans? I've seen them for oil bottles, laundry soap bottles, pop cans, all sorts of things...

That's interesting, but wouldn't something like the tube used for metal jerry cans be a little more BITOG?
56.gif

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
That's interesting, but wouldn't something like the tube used for metal jerry cans be a little more BITOG?
56.gif

Only if snap-on or walmart sold them..
33.gif

I use the method pablo mentions but I agree with you that there should be a spout that you can attach. You will find the pour more controllable with the opening on the up side.

Originally Posted by doyleshamrock
We use one gallon metal cans of acetone in our machine shop. Pouring without spilling it was a problem, so we designed a pouring spout that snaps onto the threaded opening. One of our customers had a can with a larger opening, so we made another one for him. Both pour spouts are on our website at https://doyleshamrock.com/product/gallon-can-pour-spout

Great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back