Am I using the right oil? -- VW Passat 2.8 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, I have a 99 VW Passat. It has the Audi 2.8L V6 30V engine with 95,000 miles on it. The car was bought used 20,000 miles ago and I don't know what oil the previous owner used.

I don't do my own oil changes but I do get it done every 3 to 4K with 10W-40. The oil is ususally Pennzoil (what the oil change place provides). I have tried 10W-30 once but the engine burned most of it in 3 to 4K. With 10W-40, I'm only down about 1/2 quart every oil change.

The engine also recently developed a small oil leak and I'm running auto-rx right now trying to fix it.

I know some owners of this V6 engine run synthetic oil but I'm afraid it will make my leak worse.

Am I using the right oil? Should I stay with dino or try synthetic after I'm done with the auto-rx treatment?

A 10w-40 HM should be fine. Castrol GTX is the one I'd use. Make that after ARX rinse or "completion phase" or whatever they call it now. Another way to go is Mobil 1 5w-40 SUV oil, it'll clean and help out seals. I have the same engine with 115k and never did a gasket. 20w-50 is way overkill. In your climate, I'd bag 10w-40 except maybe for winter and try a 15w-40 HD oil. like Chevron Delo w/ maint dose of ARX. What is nice about Delo is that if you use Havoline or Chevron Supreme in winter, you have two totally compatible oils when the residules mix. Yeah, 15w-40 will solve your burn-off issue and is good for 6000 miles. Castrol has a 15w-40 Blend now that looks interesting too.

I'd definately go with synthetic after spending all that money on an auto-rx treatment, even though this isn't a turbo engine. Use a VW 502.00-approved oil, such as Mobil1 0w40 or Made-in-Germany Castrol Syntec 0w30 (a heavy 30wt). I wouldn't use any 50-wt oil in the 2.8 as it's out of the OEM viscosity range. Change your oil at the factory-recommended interval and it may not cost any more than dino.

Of course, you want to get that leak fixed asap.

oem allows 50 weight, ask Moribundman. This enigne does fine on dino oil. VW 502 is not indicated for this engine. I use GC for winters though, this guy is in Texas however.

So it is okay to use synthetic after I am finished with auto-rx? Their website suggests dino oil after the completion of the treatment.

I have an A4 with that 30V V6 and with 51k miles. I use M1 0W-40. That engine is known to burn some oil. Mine used to burn maybe 1/2-1 qt. per oil change (~8000mi), but over the last 20,000 miles or so, it's barely burned any oil. I'm sticking with 0W-40 for the rest of it's life, but I would also use 5W40, too. (Actually, I ran one oil change with Synpower 5W40 before I realized it was a Group 3 oil.) I run the normal 8k OCI (via the service indicator) and the -J long-life filter.

I do use Pennzoil 10W40 in my '86 Audi and that works fine. I do 5k OCI's with it and mostly 55mph driving.

quote:

oem allows 50 weight, ask Moribundman. This enigne does fine on dino oil. VW 502 is not indicated for this engine.

The VW/Audi 2.8 V6 12 valve engine allows xW-50 and xW-60. I do not know if the 30 valve engine can take anything above an xW-40.

I would not use dino oil in the 2.8 12 valve engine, and especially not in the 30 valve engine with those pesky cam chains! I'd use ONLY a VW 502, VW 503.01, or VW 505.01 oil in that engine, preferably a 5W-40.

The 30v motor is notorious for the pcv piping clogging causing oil leaks. The kit is around $50 and is easy to change and should probably be done every 50k or so.

My 30v runs smooth as silk on GC.

quote:

The 30v motor is notorious for the pcv piping clogging causing oil leaks. The kit is around $50 and is easy to change and should probably be done every 50k or so.

My 30v runs smooth as silk on GC.

Thanks. I plan on changing out the PCV.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, running synethic after the auto-rx would not cause the oil leak to come back?

It depends on the synthetic. Some do a better job of swelling the gasket seals, but I think today all of them are better in this reguard than years ago.

You can't just change the pcv valve, but also the plastic tubing that runs from the front of the motor to back. It's long enough that the gasses can cool and condensate which leads to the clog.

"I would not use dino oil in the 2.8 12 valve engine, and especially not in the 30 valve engine "

There are some very good 2.7tt UOAs on dino.

quote:

There are some very good 2.7tt UOAs on dino.

What does that matter? Remember, sludge issues are mostly caused by dino oil and too long drain intervals. I've see pics of other Audi 12v engines that were fed dino and they looked all nasty compared to mine, which was fed only Group III and up. Just recently somneone showed a sludged 12v on the AW 12v Development forum. The 30v is certainly harder on the oil than the 12v. Audi does not recommend dino oil, but VW 502, which is at least Group III.

1996 US Audi A4 2.8 V6 manual, page 184:

Gasoline engine specification

VW 500.00 or VW 501.00

As you know VW 500 has been superseded by VW 502, but even VW 500 oils were full synthetics. VW 501.00 is an old, now defunct multi-grade spec.

I can scan it if you don't believe me. The suggestion to use only full synthetic oil if the best quality is wanted, isn't new. Even my 1980 Scirocco listed VW 500 as the best choice.

So does mine, in the US section, AJ -- 'cause the US import models are less picky.
wink.gif
I'd stick with the recommendation as made by the carmaker, not with the one made by the US distributor. VWoA and AoA do not make cars. They are only in the business of selling cars.

Also, didn't last year's VW/Audi service bulletin regarding oil mandate the use of VW 502 across the board in gassers?

Once again, my hat is off to AoA and VWoA for making sure I'd never buy a new VW or Audi in NA ever again.

I'd suggest to stick with the oil the actual carmaker recommends for specific engines instead of adhering to arbitrary recommednations by the subsidiary who couldn't care less about making appropriate recommendations:

Audi oil

VW oil

[ December 03, 2005, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back