Amsoil XL 5-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of amsoil xl 5-20. I recently put it in my 09 f150 at 6000 miles but was wondering if I should go to 0-20. How does it compare to other oils as I have been told is it not a true synthetic. I plan to change oil @5000-7500 miles normally. I live in No Dak and we can see -30 in the winter.
Thanks for any input

Last edited:
The XL series is a very good oil. It's a group III, so it's not really a "true" synthetic. The pour point of the 5W-20 XL is -45F, which is probably low enough for where you live.

Although this oil would probably work just fine for you, I have to tell you that if I lived in ND I would be running the ASM 0W-20 in the Winter, which is a group IV oil and has a PP of -65F.

No doubt that you use some kind of block heater, but for those times that you don't/can't I would think that the 20 degree PP difference between ASM and XLM would be worth it, IMO.

I am guessing since its an 09 that you are still under warranty? I would stick with XL or if you really want an 0w20 go with Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
The XL series is a very good oil. It's a group III, so it's not really a "true" synthetic. The pour point of the 5W-20 XL is -45F, which is probably low enough for where you live.

Although this oil would probably work just fine for you, I have to tell you that if I lived in ND I would be running the ASM 0W-20 in the Winter, which is a group IV oil and has a PP of -65F.

No doubt that you use some kind of block heater, but for those times that you don't/can't I would think that the 20 degree PP difference between ASM and XLM would be worth it, IMO.

I feel the same way, and I use the ASM 0w20. My climate is nowhere near as cold as North Dakota. But for the few times a year I travel north it is nice to know any temps I encounter the oil will handle it with ease. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: schmeezing
What do you guys think of amsoil xl 5-20. I recently put it in my 09 f150 at 6000 miles but was wondering if I should go to 0-20. How does it compare to other oils as I have been told is it not a true synthetic. I plan to change oil @5000-7500 miles normally. I live in No Dak and we can see -30 in the winter.
Thanks for any input

It's a good group III oil. If API SM is important then it's a great choice. It compares great to other oils and will do 7500 miles without an issue. -30°F (-30 °F = -34.4 °C) is mighty cold, but it will still be pumpable. ASM 0W-20 will flow better, as it's pour point is -65°F (-65 °F = -53.9 °C), but what an oil pours at is less important than it's kinetic viscosity at cold temps. Both oils have a similar viscosity (3.8-4K cP) when ASM is at -35°C (-35 °C = -31 °F) and XLM is at -30°C (-30 °C = -22 °F) just to look at it a different way.

xlm is a great groupIII syn, like PP. Use it with confidence. I run PP5w30 year round, and I live further north eh! :)

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If I lived where it got down to -45 degrees in the winter, I would change where I lived before I changed the oil.,,

crackmeup2.gif

Good points were made (just researched the same topic a few weeks ago).

XL is a great oil, and is API for the warranty. I chose to not worry with the API, and went with 0w-20 ASM.

Originally Posted By: webfors
xlm is a great groupIII syn, like PP. Use it with confidence. I run PP5w30 year round, and I live further north eh! :)

Ummm. No.

Ottawa's center is 45 degrees, 25 minutes, and 15 seconds north latitude.

North Dakota's southern border is 45 degrees and 56 minutes north latitude.

So basically, Ottawa is about 37 miles (~60km) south of North Dakota's southern border.

Chances are the OP isn't lving right on the border, so he's probably farther north of Ottawa than that.

It is good stuf but for the same price or less you can buy M1 0W20 at Walmart or M1 5W20 also for less!If I was going to spend extra to use Amsoil it would not be their XL line you can buy nice GIII oils for $20 a gallon all day long at Walmart sometimes less then that. I would only spend extra on Amsoil if I was going to use their S3K!

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos

Ummm. No.

So basically, Ottawa is about 37 miles (~60km) south of North Dakota's southern border.

Chances are the OP isn't lving right on the border, so he's probably farther north of Ottawa than that.

hah, I guess I need to look at a map more often! Buy hey, how far north can he drive before he hits the end of the line without pulling out a passport
grin2.gif

Ummm. No.

hah, I guess I need to look at a map more often! Buy hey, how far north can he drive before he hits the end of the line without pulling out a passport
grin2.gif

If you were quick you may have said something like, "That's only of you're using geography as your "border". Look at jetstream contours instead."

..now for all I know it makes your position even worse, but it throws a curve in the conversation to allow you a temporary escape hatch.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Ummm. No.

grin2.gif

If you were quick you may have said something like, "That's only of you're using geography as your "border". Look at jetstream contours instead."

..now for all I know it makes your position even worse, but it throws a curve in the conversation to allow you a temporary escape hatch.

grin2.gif

lol.gif

Looks like ND is closer to the prairies, and they get the worst of it up here. So I'm not sure if that would of stood the test...

OK Thanks I am currently under warranty so was thinking API but what would be the benefit to me switching to 0-20 if I really wont go with long extended drains. I know it will cost more but do you think I will get better protection and longer engine life?

Bottom line is it will pump up a little more easily at extremely cold temperatures. I cannot say this will give you more engine life, but logic does say the faster the oil gets to wear surfaces, the better.

Before all these 0W-XX's came out people just ran 5W30 in extreme cold, and all was fine. If *I* had the 5W20, *I* would stick with that.

Represent.

Originally Posted By: schmeezing
OK Thanks I am currently under warranty so was thinking API but what would be the benefit to me switching to 0-20 if I really wont go with long extended drains. I know it will cost more but do you think I will get better protection and longer engine life?

the deal is you arent pumping honey in your engine when its -40 out with a 0w20, if thats not an issue I'd stay with the 5w20xl and save a few bucks.

an alternative would be m1 0w20 for the winter and its api rated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back