Windows 7 Install Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the Windows 7 upgrade yesterday in the mail around 11 AM. Started the install and it would not work because I have been running the release candidate a few months. Said it was for Vista. Had a backup of Vista and loaded it back on computer. After an hour or so it blew off as it did not like the boot manager for unknown reasons. Then reformatted the hard drive and tried a clean install. It took but would not accept the product key.

Called and was told it was for the upgrade and not a full install.

Loaded the original distribution disk that came with the computer. Tried again. This time it blew off because of ITE IT8211 ATA/ADAPI Controller Driver being obsolete after loading the Vista O/S. Figured how to update the driver and by around 8:00 PM last night finally got it installed and the Product Key to work.

Spent the morning setting up my email accounts, etc., plus loading software off of the internet for my hardware.

Plan on doing a mirror backup to an external USB hard drive here in a few minutes.

Glad that I have a lot of patience!

I'm not sure I'd have the same amount of patience! Which system are you familiar with? Make sure to update in a week or so with a comparison. I've had Vista since it came out, and was about to downgrade to XP again after all of the bugs, but talked myself into waiting until SP 1 came out. No more problems since SP 1, but I'd rather a leaner running system.

See my post a couple threads below. There are methods out there to clean install off an upgrade disk to a blank HDD w/o having to install the qualifying OS.

Install Win 7 and do not enter the product key...then when installed,run Win 7 install set-up from the CD within the drive.D drive etc.this time enter the product key and all should be fine.
This was the same problem that occured when Vista came out.

Originally Posted By: freeze12
Install Win 7 and do not enter the product key...then when installed,run Win 7 install set-up from the CD within the drive.D drive etc.this time enter the product key and all should be fine.
This was the same problem that occured when Vista came out.
Meant to say that on the second try that You have to do a complete install again but this time entering the product key.

Looks like I am not the only one having issues with the installation of Windows 7. Here is one article.

Windows 7 Installation Issues

Got my computer up and running and all drivers download and installed + restored my documents, etc.

I run Linux Mint much of the time. Have two hard drives. Windows on one, two distributions of Linux on the other.

Got the boot manager working again and all is well. Can boot into Windows 7 or either distribution of Linux on boot.

Ran the pre-release versions of Windows 7 for approximately 5 months.

For anti-virus am running the free Windows Security Essentials. Seems to be doing the job at this juncture.

Many people are reporting problems upgrading to W7. Then again, Microsoft has the lion's share of the PC market, so I expected to hear about problems upgrading. Personally, I've decided against upgrading to W7. With the 2 service packs that MS released for Vista, most of the obvious problems were corrected, and my Vista computers run like champs. I will wait until I purchase a new computer to get W7....or I may just get a Mac to see how I like them (nothing against Windows).

Highly recommend that you make a backup first.

The free program will make a mirror image to an External USB Hard Drive + it will make a bootable CD just in case you have problems. Link feature is not working so you may have to cut and paste to your browser.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

This way if something goes wrong, you can boot off of the CD and restore your system from the External Hard Drive.

I have used this free program for both backup and restore on both my desktop and laptop without issue.

I backup about once a week and if there is something important, backup those files to a thumb drive.

Hope this helps!

I tried installing it on a near 5-year old Dell Latitude D800 with a nVidia GeForce Go5650 "discreet" video card. Even using the mod'ed drivers at laptopvideo2go.com, the video still didn't work properly. Otherwise it worked fine...with 1GB of RAM.

Waiting on properly working video drivers....

On older laptop video, you sometimes have to go "outside the box" a little with Win 7, at least for now. A lot of older ThinkPad users upgrading to Win 7 are finding some success with older XP and Vista video drivers from other makers (such as HP). You sometimes have to force the install, but it works.

It is uncertain whether makers are going to provide full updated drivers on the older products, although Lenovo has so far done a decent job in extending all the key Thinkvantage apps/drivers to older gear under 7.

The problem with older laptops and Win 7 is that if the video chipset isn't 100% enabled, it leans more on the CPU, which is sometimes asking too much under the circumstances.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Looks like I am not the only one having issues with the installation of Windows 7. Here is one article.

Windows 7 Installation Issues

The article mentions that "the system says the Windows 7 upgrade had failed, and that it will restore Vista. Instead, however, the computer tries to install Windows 7 again, resulting in an endless series of failed installation attempts and reboots."

So, if you get stuck in this constant reboot cycle, how do you get out of it in order to make that registry change that they talk about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back