Microsoft Haunted By Upgrade Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously MS wants people to buy the full copies if they "should".

Paul brings up a great point, saying that haven't users ever bought a copy of windows before? 99 percent of us are upgrades anyways.

I did a vista to windows 7 upgrade for $49.99 preorder from newegg.

I'm happy with it, but now I think I should have done a clean installation.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I did a vista to windows 7 upgrade for $49.99 preorder from newegg.

I'm happy with it, but now I think I should have done a clean installation.

Does the W7 upgrade you got from Newegg allow you to do a clean install?

I got the same deal, but from Amazon, and am also wondering whether to do an upgrade or a clean install (if possible)? Why do you not recommend doing an upgrade?

I hate not having a CD for my Vista machine! My Laptop being XP came with all the software on the machine including a copy of XP SP3 and COA etc......I have never done an upgrade and never will I always do clean installs or nothing at all!Never knew anyone to have good luck with upgrades in fact I new plenty of people that had better luck with pirated softer where then with Microsoft upgrades!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Does the W7 upgrade you got from Newegg allow you to do a clean install?

I got the same deal, but from Amazon, and am also wondering whether to do an upgrade or a clean install (if possible)? Why do you not recommend doing an upgrade?

Yes, indeed it does. If you do the published "workaround" (Google it for details), you can clean install W7 from the upgrade disk, on a brand new HDD, and not even need the qualifying media around to do so.

The upgrade disk contains the complete OS product. It has to be complete to be installable on XP systems. If one has qualifying upgrade product, there is NO reason to waste extra money buying a full product license. The upgrade is fine. The installs will be identical.

As before, to CYA it, the workaround is not a substitute for EULA compliance, but only to avoid a needless double-install process.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Paul brings up a great point, saying that haven't users ever bought a copy of windows before? 99 percent of us are upgrades anyways.

With Microsoft business licensing, they do not sell, ever, full copies of Windows client desktop operating systems. Winders Server? Yes, those are ALL full-licenses.

Why?

This forces the OEM to use MS desktop products from the factory and it obviously assures MS a revenue stream with each computer ever sold that comes with Windows.

The way around this is simple: Buy a Technet license, at a reduced price (somehow, someway), where you can download the install CDs/DVDs directly from Microsoft's Technet site. Then you can install Windows Server I think up to 1,500 times per license key. Just add the "Desktop enhancement" after the server loads and voila! It looks just like Win7!

I'm sure they would be.

Where they would have a problem is with someone buying just the upgrade, with no qualifying product, and doing a workaround clean install. The workaround allows exactly that, for the less than honorable.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Article about Windows 7 Upgrade.

Link To Article
Deja-Vu... Just like every other O/S they have had...
smirk2.gif

Linux for me...

I haven't had a single installation problem with any of the dozens of Win7 beta & RC installs.

Of course, the best course of action is to always do a clean install.

Neither have I because I always do a clean install but there is just so much aggravation with Microsoft stuff... Drivers, Patches UGH...
frown.gif

windows7,I've been using it since beta and its by far the best OS from microsoft yet.

and you can play around with stuff like this when you get bored

http://connectify.me/

I actually upgraded from vista 64 to win7 RC and from that to win7 64bit(from technet full version).
never had any problems.

The only problem I had was when I installed Intel's matrix driver (for their raid).

the new 8.9 intel matrix driver apparently has issues with p35 chipset boards and makes it drop drives out of arrays.

Usually happens on raid5.. but I have raid 0 and it started dropping a drive out..

I do plan on a fresh install but I'm waiting until I buy a ssd for my system drive in a few monthes or so.

Last edited:
I clicked on "Upgrade to 9.10" with my 9.04 Ubuntu, answered a few questions and went to bed. This morning I rebooted into the new version.

I suspect 99% of MS problems with installs have to do with licensing; they spend a lot of time and tick off a lot of users trying to verify you are not a pirate. Needless to say, things are much easier with GPLed OSS.

Last edited:
Microsoft allocates a ton of resources and money into stopping piracy when they could just do away with the licensing & authentication tracking/certification other than a code inputed when installed and lower the price of their OS considerably and everyone would just buy it because it would be ridiculous to risk viruses etc. otherwise.

I mean when a computer manufacturer like Dell can offer a Mini Netbook for less than $300 and it comes with an OS you know they are paying next to nothing for the OS from Microsoft so why not extend this to the consumers and let them purchase it for $60 or less with no support and have them pay for support as needed on the phone.

I'm sure if it was $60 or less for their operating system per computer they wouldn't have as big of an issue as they do with piracy and people would be more willing to put up with the common bugs found in new OS releases because they wouldn't be getting screwed for almost $150+

I also think it's retarded that they have multiple version and upgrade versions... Just one, one price, and no nonsense... Here's the price, heres the product... NO Bull.

Guess they're too greedy.
frown.gif

Sell the O/S for a low price and charge for SUPPORT.

Sure, there's a cost to building the O/S and that cost is likely largely paid in that initial purchase price.

But then charge for support. So after the first year, if you want to download fixes, charge $29.99/year or $19.99/year for hot fixes, etc.

It probably works out to be the same.

About the only time I buy a M$ O/S is if it comes installed on a machine.

But I'd pay $50 for a copy of Win7 if I could buy one at my local store for that much, if I needed one.

But $100, I dunno. At that point, it usually just makes sense to buy a whole computer with it pre-installed.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

But $100, I dunno. At that point, it usually just makes sense to buy a whole computer with it pre-installed.

Leo Laporte, "the computer guy" advocates the same thing. It's the easiest & cheapest way to get the latest OS for most folks.

Of course, I get Solaris for free, and I think it's much more stable, so I have a hard time parting with any money when it goes to the "enemy."

But oilBabe said that she had to have Office, and I wanted a new PC, so I bought the Dell Inspiron 530s back in April with a Dual Core 2.5GHz, 3gb RAM, Vista Home, 500gb SATA drive and Office 2007 for just over $500 delivered by the time all the rebates were figured.

Funny thing was that I first thought it was going to be $533 delivered, but since I linked to it via my Discover card, I got 5% cash back bonus from Discover. But get this, I financed with Dell and got 3% cash back from them and paid the balance in full on the first statement, so it was close to $508 when all was said and done.

It's drama free.

I'm not sure I want to go to the hassle of upgrading to Vista, and certainly not for about $100 for one license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back