Ubuntu 9.10 to be released 29-oct

Status
Not open for further replies.
I download and installed the release candidate 64 bit version and ran the updates.

Have not played with it much as I have been fooling around with Windows 7.

Only issue was setting up Skype but did not spend a lot of time with it as I am running another distribution (Linux Mint) too. Have two hard drives, one with Windows 7, the other with two distributions of Linux and use a boot manager.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Canonical will ship you a CD

I think they've almost discontinued that practice. I know they're still doing it, but they've scaled *way* back on what they send and who they send it to.

Quote:
No longer will people be able to order a CD for each and every version of Ubuntu that is released. Instead copies will be restricted to "LoCo [local community] teams and Ubuntu contributors. And... everyone who is just discovering Ubuntu."

I've been running for one month now and quite like it. I didn't realize that the old brown theme DOES look hideous once away from it. IE when I boot into Ubuntu 9.04 instead of 9.10's chocolate brown theme. The font rendering continues to look excellent ... XP looks bad now! (the comparison is not exactly fair given OS age).

Am downloading the Kubuntu 9.10 version and will give it a shot later today.

Have the release candidate version 9.10 of Ubuntu (Gnome version) running but in all fairness have not spent a lot of time using it.

I have the desktop setup to run Windows 7, and two versions on Linux in a triple boot mode.

My favorite distribution of Linux is Linux Mint which is based on Debian/Ubuntu.

I've been using the beta of 9.10 on and off for a month or so with ext4. It's noticeably faster loading on my notebook than 9.04 and 8.04. I need to update it tonight to the official release.

I've downloaded Ub 9.10 and Xubuntu 9.10. I tend to like Xfce desktop because it seems snappier than Gnome. My fav distro is also Mint, just like SrDriver, and will most likely stay with it, but I'll play around with UB 9.10 and XuB 9.10 on different hard drives. I just wish I had more time/cpu's to play with!!!

Ubuntu is the *FIRST* linux distro that have actually come to use regularly and recommend to most of my friends and family that continue to have issues with Windows.
grin2.gif

Using the torrent for 32-bit "alternate install", getting my full 6 megabit bandwidth. I encourage everyone to use the torrent option to get it to others faster.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I encourage everyone to use the torrent option to get it to others faster.

Assuming your ISP doesn't throttle torrents to a crawl!

Their servers are getting hammered pretty hard with all of the downloads, so at the very least, if torrents are not an option, use your country's mirror server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back