2003 G55 AMG Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 G55 AMG 5.4 349HP 57xxx miles. Just purchased with an attractive maintenance record. Any advice on a solid replacement for Mobil One 0w40? I currently have a half blend of Redline 5w30 and 5w40 in there. I couldn't go with just the Redline 5w40 for fear of poor(er) gas mileage. As it stands it is already atrocious. I want to put in something else than Mobil One if I am paying 7.xx a quart. I have tried GC in my 01 E55 with the same engine. It seemed to weep from the valve cover a bit more with the GC. AMG also specs a 40wt. Maybe I should just continue with the Redline....However, OG Racing's price went up to 9.xx per quart. Can Redline do 10k in this engine? I would suppose so. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I couldn't go with just the Redline 5w40 for fear of poor(er) gas mileage.

I'm sorry, but that's just funny considering the context. :)

How about M1 ESP 5w-40, available at PepBoys? At least it's on the list of approved MB oils, unlike Redline. Not that Redline is a bad oil or anything, but at least the M1 was officially tested to withstand long oil change intervals.

Also, what's wrong with M1 0w-40?

Thanks Pete. I was also wondering about the M1 TDT. Any experience with that oil? I noticed that Amsoil's 5w40 has a low HTHS (3.7). Maybe this would indeed be a good alternative to the HTHS of the Redline 40wt at 4.7.

Now that Redline is up to 10 per I see. OG Racing confirmed that the pricing increase went into effect last week. Alternative time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back