Warning for AVG antivirus users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stay away from the latest, (V9.0) version for a couple of weeks. It is buggy as a Louisiana swamp and tech support seems a little dodgy right now.

Fun,fun,fun..............

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Been staying away for a few years now since it became a bloated piggy.

Same here. Ever since version 8 it hasn't been so great, at least the free version. Not sure about the paid one.

I've been a happy Avira user for over a year now. In most rankings, AVG usually scores towards the bottom of the list, too.

AVG has mostly been a good package for me. There have been some issues with certain versions from time to time, but overall it has worked well for me.

Monday AM I got infected with a Trojan horse downloader on both systems. Have no idea how it got through the router and firewall, but it did. AVG nabbed it right away. Still looking for how it got in the network, but AVG probably saved me a lot of work.

YMMV..............

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Avast for the win!

Yep. Much kinder to your system resources and just as effective.

And it's also free.

Or just run Linux.
02.gif

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Been staying away for a few years now since it became a bloated piggy.
+1
thumbsup2.gif
I moved to ESET, very quick, easy on the resources and it catches everything I have seen so far.

AVG 9.0 here working perfectly. Don't let it upgrade automatically. Do a complete uninstall, reboot, and install of the new version. Also, if your PC has 'other' issues, don't expect any program to work right.

Upgraded AVG 8.5 to 9.0 on a desktop running XP3 with no issues. Running fine. But tonight tried to upgrade Wife's laptop and the AVG site is apparently getting hammered with requests for updates. Keeps timing out on the download. Will try again another time.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

Monday AM I got infected with a Trojan horse downloader on both systems. Have no idea how it got through the router and firewall, but it did.

A router/firewall will block incoming connections (and outgoing connections for a 2 way software firewall), but viruses/malware can still get through an unsecured browser or if you download something that's a virus.

That's why I will always use a product like Sandboxie when browsing. It's almost like a firewall for your browser! Nothing can get through it.

More info on the Trojan, Adobe reader was set to look for updates every week, when it looked for updates last Sun. it d/l'ed a file called adbrdr710_en_us.exe which AVG flagged as a Trojan horse downloader called generic15.abob. A google search turned up dozens of hits for this and similar files going back to 2007, so it's been around for a while. Needless to say, I changed the options to no ubdates. At least that explains how it got into my systems.

Kind of brought back memories of the old days when I did real antivirus work for pay. It's been a while since I actually had to do something like this.

I took a look at sandboxie some time ago, didn't understand what I was doing so I put it aside. I really need to take the time to get it setup so I understand what is happening.

I did install AVG V9.0 free over V8.5 free without any problems on the desktop. The process was a little odd compared to previous version, but it went ok, although it called for a second reboot several hours after the first one.

I ran into problems right away with the laptop and it just refused to go. I researched the problem and found that lots of other people are having the exact problems as me, as well as many similar ones. I'll just let it stay at V8.5 for a few weeks until things settle down.

I just removed AVG and installed Avast and my computer is much faster now! Thanks for the tip!

It looks like all of the bugs have been identified, the 2 biggies were the downloader file off of cnet was corrupted,and it had a bug as well, and 2, the caching process had a serious bug that only showed up in unusual conditions. I'm going to wait another week or so before I put it on the laptop, just in case, but I think it be just fine.

BTW: It's working just fine on the desktop, has done so from the jump.. Performance is much better then 8.5 which was a resource hog.

All in all, considering that it is a very good utility for free, I'll not complain.

YMMV.........

Used AVG for several years. About a month ago switched to Microsoft Security Essentials on the desktop and laptop. I am a Linux user but use Windows too for some projects. Have Windows 7 64 bit on the Desktop and Vista 32 bit on the laptop.

As you are aware, one can have only one anti-virus - firewall running at a time. Only change I made under Settings after installation was to change the "When" to Daily. Time to when I may have the computer on, & removed the check mark from "Start the scheduled scan only when my computer is on but not in use. By doing this the computer will download the latest anti-virus software then scan the computer in the background while I am doing other things.

Link To Web Site

Free for personal or home small business use.

Does not pole the processor hard like many other anti-virus programs.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

I took a look at sandboxie some time ago, didn't understand what I was doing so I put it aside. I really need to take the time to get it setup so I understand what is happening.

If you or anyone else wants help understanding it and setting it up, I'd be glad to help. There's really not much to setup and once you understand how it works, it's easy to use.

If you do any kind of P2P, it's great because if you download a virus, you can find out because it'll stay in the sandbox where you can scan it. If it's a virus, dump the sandbox and it's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back