Oil additives in a wet clutch motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I love this site. Tons of info. I was searching all night to find something and I could not come up with anything.

What I'm wondering is I have a honda CRF50 with a wet automatic clutch. The previous owner I'm guessing did not take good care of it. The oil was BLACK and then i changed it and then ran it for around 10 mins and drained it again. Once again it was super black. I was wondering if there is something I can use to break up the sludge in the case? But I'm worried about compatibility with the wet auto clutch that is in there too.

I like your current method, nice and gentle. Maybe find some oil with a higher ester content and run it through for a short trip. I would run it longer though, step up in duration of oil until it starts to look reasonable. I had something similar with an older neglected Honda, and by the third fill and flush it started looking real good.

I'm running Amsoil motorcycle 10w40. I bought this because I believe in its formula. I run it in my 600rr and close near redline at time and I have never had any issues with this oil. When I change it, it looks to be good as new. I never did a analysis on it, but I'd bet it would be pretty good.

What is a high ester based oil?

Might check ARX in wet clutch applications, not sure if folks here have tried it or if AutoRx recommends or is against it. Maybe post on the Power sports/ATV section would be best.

Run some 15W-40 HDEO with a shot of Auto RX. I'd say Rotella T 15W-40 and 6 oz of Auto RX should clean it up nicely.

I ran Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic and 4oz of Auto RX in my Honda VFR and it worked just fine.

Hi I e-mailed Rislone
And a tech wrote me back and said they're concentrated product would not damage a wet clutch - 2oz per quart of oil in your system.

I did a 30min drive and flush with Rislone 3 weeks ago, my oil is nice and clean - for now anyway.

I did 2 drain and fills before using - as the oil in my bike was like tar.!

cheers
nik

Rotella 15w40 and frequent drains (since it's cheap). I use it in my CRF450 and change it every 5-8 hours. $11.50 a gallon at WM.

Originally Posted By: lobo11
Might check ARX in wet clutch applications, not sure if folks here have tried it or if AutoRx recommends or is against it. Maybe post on the Power sports/ATV section would be best.

Auto-RX recommends Cycle-RX for motorcycles.....different bottle, same stuff.

/\ THanks guys. and I apply the Auto-RX the same as normal? Or as the cycle bottle says?

Cheapest place to get said Auto-RX?

You should most definitely pull the clutch side cover off and clean the centrifugal oil filter [nobody ever does] it will most likely be full of dirt . Just pull the cover off and open the filter, three screws , flush it out with contact cleaner or brake cleaner. If you are lucky you wont need a new cover gasket. top it up with a quality diesel oil 15-40 [ no friction modifiers] so the clutch will work properly, she will run forever.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
/\ THanks guys. and I apply the Auto-RX the same as normal? Or as the cycle bottle says?

Cheapest place to get said Auto-RX?

You can only get Auto RX from their website, and from a small number of dealers spread around the world. Buying multiple bottles reduces the per bottle cost significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back