18K Amsoil 0w-30 SSO 2006 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil 0w-30 SSO 2006 Honda Odyssey
Total miles on vehicle = 69000+
Miles on oil = 18K
Time on oil ~6 months

PPM…Current(18K) - RD20(10K) - ASM (13.7K) - XLM 5W-20 (5.8K miles)
Aluminum--------8 -4 - 6 - 11
Chromium-------1 - 1- 2 - 1
Iron------------11- 11- 14 - 11
Copper----------10 - 19- 21 - 60
Lead------------0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Tin-------------0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Molybdenum-----1 - 2 - 6 - 71
Nickel----------0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Manganese------0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Silver----------0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Titanium--------0 - 0- 0 - 0
Vanadium--------0 - 0- 0 - 0
Antimony--------0 - 0- 0 - 0
Lithium---------1 - 0 - 0 - 2
Potassium------1 - 1 - 0 - 1
Boron-----------7 - 9 - 23 - 149
Barium----------0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Silicon---------20 - 17- 21 - 44
Sodium----------14 - 14 - 14 - 0
Calcium---------3509 - 2007 - 3411 - 2124
Magnesium-------15 - 8 - 13 - 14
Phosphorous-----681 - 1015 - 757 - 730
Zinc------------824 - 1324 - 865 - 875

CSt Visc. @ 100C----10.0 - 9.8 - 9.1 - 7.7

Fuel (%)-------------- Water (%)-------------- TBN------------------- 4.2 - 2.57 -10.6 - 4.43
Insolubles------------ Oxidation--------------42 - 42 - 42 - 10
Nitration--------------33 - 26 - 30 - 16

Looks good. Very consistent #'s, despite different oils. ASM Tbn must have been a fluke.

What one SSO that looks good in a [censored] cat of an engine and you are declaring SSO a winner. 18K in 6 months could hardly get much easier on the oil that is all HWY miles. How do you explain all the lack luster SSO UOA we see on this site? I will say it does look like it is performing stellar in this application but I would bet M1 0W30 would do almost as well and cost a lot less. People always discredit any good UOA in a Toyota so I am thinking we should do the same for Amsoil and not count Honda or Toyota power plants because they turn in great numbers on almost any oil except Schaffers!LOL

So Pab's you need to find something like a direct injection V6 or V8 Audi or maybe a GM 60°V6 or V8 and go 10K miles in 6 months with SSO in them and report these types of number's!LOL Copper alone in a most GM V8's would add up to more wear metal then all the metals checked in the above!LOL

What up withthe Lithium does this Honda suffer from depression?LOL

Lol, if it wasn't for the post count JB I'd think you were a troll. Here's the money quote, "18K in 6 months could hardly get much easier on the oil that is all HWY miles."

Yes, every oil can do 18k straight and have the same results. :)

Pablo - Nice run. I see now that your TBNs are most likely high due to lots of driving in short periods of time (i.e. no time for acid formation to break it down).

I think by most standards this oil could've seen 25k without batting an eye, under the same regime and with sufficient filtration capacity.

Joe

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
How do you explain all the lack luster SSO UOA we see on this site?

Which ones are those? I'm not sure if I want password access to your mind.

Perhaps you should post some links.

Very, very impressive run. TBN and visc. are rock-solid. You probably could have gone 21-22k on this oil, like you did on your Volvo. Why'd you go back to ASM?

It IS a minor blip, but any concern about the uptick in aluminum?

ACTUALLY JB, TSO was the oil that never impressed. SSO HAS been excellent so far and proven to be better than ASL/ATM.

I'd say ASM/SSO are their two best PCMO's. Both are also using the most current, modern additives. The others are using older additive technology. Amsoil usually puts the most modern additives into their SSO oil.

Btw, what is it with you and S3k? It's not their best PCMO anymore. Maybe their best diesel oil, but not for passenger cars.

They really improved viscosity control with many of their oils. SSO in particular maintains it's viscosity extremely well.

SSO supposedly uses XOM's top of the line PAO as I've said before. There are different quality grades I believe.

In a well maintained engine, doing a lot of highway miles, you can hit the 25k + mile drain interval with minimal problems. Slightly less for Mobil 1 EP. (15k)

35,000/1 yr is very doable under these conditions with this type of oil/engine/driving.

Originally Posted By: buster
In a well maintained engine, doing a lot of highway miles, you can hit the 25k + mile drain interval with minimal problems. Slightly less for Mobil 1 EP. (15k)

35,000/1 yr is very doable under these conditions with this type of oil/engine/driving.

XM gaurantees their EP line for 15,000 miles. It would be interesting to see how far it will actually go.

Originally Posted By: tig1

XM gaurantees their EP line for 15,000 miles. It would be interesting to see how far it will actually go.

We just have to wait for someone to take the plunge.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1

It could go 18,000 miles under these conditions with no problems. The SSO would take over after about 20k+ miles I'm guessing.

The 15k miles XOM tested EP under were all stop/go driving. Amsoil's initial Tbn is about 20% higher to start, so I'd expect it to hit the upper 20k/30k mile range here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back