How to change the trans fluid in a 2008 Toyota Ava

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here know how to change the transmission fluid in a 2008 Toyota Avalon? There's no dipstick. I'm sure it won't be hard to drain the fluid, but how would you refill it?
Does anyone have a procedure or a link to a DIY?

Long piece of hose attached to a funel. Their is a fill plug on the transmission that is how the OEM filled it. They still do not have the ability to teleport the fluid right into the transmission yet! Give them time I am sure they are working on it! Their is also a drain plug. Word tot he wise first before you do anything clean the area around both plugs! Then break the fill plug lose first because if for some reason you can not break it lose and you drain all the fluid out you will be in deep water!

there also may not be a level indicator - so measure carefully going in and for fun you may want to measure the amounbt you drain out.

Yes, or fill them until ATF starts to dribble out the fill hole. I drain them cold. I've used various methods of refill for the lovely 'bottom load' boxes; A clean, sturdy gallon jug, some hose and compressed air to force ATF out. A used gear oil bottle and a section of hose, squeezing as much in per load as you can. Like JB suggested, a funnel/hose setup works as well (beer bong). I've tried those thread on bottle pumps and have used trigger pump oil cans as well. You'll loose sensation in your hand from pumping those after the first 20min of torture.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DCRamsey
Does anyone here know how to change the transmission fluid in a 2008 Toyota Avalon? There's no dipstick. I'm sure it won't be hard to drain the fluid, but how would you refill it?

That transmission needs to go to a reputable service shop that has the correct machine to do he flush, there is no fill plug or drain plug. there is a plug on the trans that is used to check the level, you just fill through there, its only a 1/4 inch plug. but if you look in the manual i believe that the trans is lubricated for life and the only time that it needs to be filled or checked is if there is a leak.

Originally Posted By: Petrou
Originally Posted By: DCRamsey

That transmission needs to go to a reputable service shop that has the correct machine to do he flush, there is no fill plug or drain plug. there is a plug on the trans that is used to check the level, you just fill through there, its only a 1/4 inch plug. but if you look in the manual i believe that the trans is lubricated for life and the only time that it needs to be filled or checked is if there is a leak.

That's a bunch of hooey, there is no such thing as lifetime fluid, I don't care what anyone says. AZfireguy replaced his fluid on a similar rig and did a nice write-up on it, I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...183#Post1538183

Ok here is what you need:

1. 13 quarts WS fluid, fluid level check plug crush washer
2. clear 1 gallon volume graduated painters bucket. (true value $2)
3. 2 foot 3/8 clear tubing
4. 5mm 3/8 hex socket, 3/8 ratchet, fill plug socket (mine is 15/16) 10mm socket, short extension.
5. IR thrermometer gun
6. funnel with 2 foot 1/2 hose attached.
7. pliers
8. torque wrench
9. a helper to start stop engine.

DO THIS WITH ENGINE COMPLETELY COLD.

1. Locate fill plug. Mine is behind a small plastic cover in drivers wheel well (2 10mm bolts) It will have WS stamped on it. Loosen to finger tight.
2. Locate two hoses routed into bottom of radiator from trans. You will most likely have to remove the drivers side underbody plastic panel to get at this. The drivers side hose on mine is the return line and this is the one you want
3. Break loose the fluid check plug on the trans pan and keep in finger tight.
4. Place catch pan under fluid check pplug and remove. You should get 1 quart out. Put plug back in finger tight. Add one quart of WS in fill hole.
5. Remove cooler hose and slip tubing over metal pipe and route BOTH hoses into bucket.
6. Have helper start vehicle...you will see which hose the fluid squirts into bucket. At the first sign of air spitting (2 quarts) shut off engine immediately. This should only take about 45 seconds to pump out. Then add 2 quarts of WS in fill hole
7. repeat this process until you have put 12 quarts through or fluid id bright red and new looking making sure to NOT run the trans dry. Adding back as much as comes out (as close as possible)
8. Put cooler line hose back on securly.
9. At this point you should have drained 12 and added 12 quarts and your fluid coming back should look new.
10. Add 1/2 quart in fill hole. Tighten fill hole plug.
11. With vehicle level (I put a level on the trans pan bottom and jsck the front of mine up about 6") Start vehicle and cycle through PRND432L to get fluid pumped throughout the trans. Taking temp readings with the IR thermometer at several points on the pan.
12. On a cold vehicle it will take 5-10 min to get to 115F which is the temp you want for correct fluid expansion and level check. (double check your owners manual or service manual for the temp.)
13. When you get a 115F reading with engine idling remove check plug and allow fluid to drain and replacing crush washer on plug. When fluid drians to a trickle (10-15 seconds) replace check plug and tighten.
14. Double check plugs & cooler line connections for leaks.
15. test drive vehicle.
16. check for leaks again.
17. replace plastic under body panels.
18. reward self with 40F malt beverage.
19. Some recommend you remove negative battery terminal for trans ECM to do a relearn but I didn't. I did notice crisper shifting for a few days but now is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back