I'm putting the Redline 0w30 in today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know colour doesn't mean anything... But I'm just keeping an eye on things and I found it weird... Maybe it found some dirt and it beamed it out of there.
lol.gif

Yeah I have seen some UOA's where it was the first run and it scares the $#!@ out of the owner and they never use RL again saying it causes increased wear, when all it is doing is cleaning house and setting up shop.

I'm not even doing a UOA until the 3rd run so I don't have to have sleepless nights worrying about a problem that doesn't exist but is fed by my OCD.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Do you know the differences in moly and ZDDP? The RL 5W30 has 950ppm moly, 1330 zinc and 1200 ph, don't know the 0W-20.

I don't know the exact numbers, but the Amsoil 0W20 definitely has less Zn and P than the Redline.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Do you know the differences in moly and ZDDP? The RL 5W30 has 950ppm moly, 1330 zinc and 1200 ph, don't know the 0W-20.

I think there is a VOA of the 0W20 in the VOA section. I think both are probably loaded with ZDDP and moly as this seems to be redline's approach. My understanding is that for POE/diester formulations if you want to you moly as a friction modifier you need to use massive doses. This is due to the surface competition between the esters Moly and ZDDP. In contrast to redline's approach (assumed approach I mean) many oils use moly at lower levels as an antioxidant from what I understand.

So I am not sure how much the raw moly numbers mean in an ester formulation. I have always wanted to figure out a way to compare moly content in VOAs vs UOAs in the same engine to determine how much moly "plating" is actually going on vs. how much remains in solution. The slide below helps to explain the surface competition. For me, I definitely wouldn't take raw moly levels as an indication of the real world effect as a friction modifier or to improve surface hardness in an ester formulation. And to compare raw moly levels from an ester-based oil to a non-ester formulation would not be wise either IMO. I think it really depends on the specific formulation. Maybe Tom NJ, Molakule, or someone else can better explain the moly content levels in ester formulations.

sirfacecompetition.jpg

That diagram sums up the complexity of formulating oils and why mixing and discussing base oil groups is a waste of time. Fun though. LOL

CATERHAM got me thinking about RL vs RLI...

Except for the really low sexy pour point of this RL 0W30 (which would only come into play on Mars ;)) many of its specs are quite comparable to the RLI 0W30 (eg NOACK volatility and viscosity). As well both oils have that appealing ester component. And in fact both oils are similarly priced.

So Stevie and others wny not be excited about trying out RLI?

But I don't think this thread would be as active if the title was "I'm putting the RLI 0W30 in today...". Why is that?
54.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Except for the really low sexy pour point of this RL 0W30 (which would only come into play on Mars ;)) many of its specs are quite comparable to the RLI 0W30 (eg NOACK volatility and viscosity). As well both oils have that appealing ester component. And in fact both oils are similarly priced.

But I don't think this thread would be as active if the title was "I'm putting the RLI 0W30 in today...". Why is that?
54.gif

If Red Line and RLI Oil are priced close to each other, for me that would be even more reason to use Red Line oil. Thanks for mentioning that.

CATERHAM got me thinking about RL vs RLI...

So Stevie and others wny not be excited about trying out RLI?

54.gif

Because RL is the cats meow at the moment. It will pass... and eventually there will be another :)

Originally Posted By: webfors

54.gif

Because RL is the cats meow at the moment. It will pass... and eventually there will be another :)

Wow...RLI 0WX is already passe?

When did Red Line introduce its 0W30 PCMO?

Last edited:
So Steveie might you be the first Canadian or maybe just first person to post a UOA of this Redline grade of oil? Who says you would never get your 15 minutes of fame?
56.gif

Steve, I just dumped 5qts Red Line 5w20 with a Fram XG7317 filter in my TL at 1500 miles and I agree with all your observations in your car. Mine runs smoother and also feels like it revs freely. My oil has also gotten a little darker but I chalk that up to fuel dilution since I have a 2 mile commute to and from work. I think all that moly in this oil has a lot to do with the quieter engine and smoother revs.

So Steveie might you be the first Canadian or maybe just first person to post a UOA of this Redline grade of oil? Who says you would never get your 15 minutes of fame?
56.gif

lol.gif
Yup.. I need a life!

Originally Posted By: deven
Steve, I just dumped 5qts Red Line 5w20 with a Fram XG7317 filter in my TL at 1500 miles and I agree with all your observations in your car. Mine runs smoother and also feels like it revs freely. My oil has also gotten a little darker but I chalk that up to fuel dilution since I have a 2 mile commute to and from work. I think all that moly in this oil has a lot to do with the quieter engine and smoother revs.
That and the ZDDP levels... That will also contribute to a quiet engine I have noticed.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
56.gif

lol.gif
Yup.. I need a life!

Originally Posted By: deven
That and the ZDDP levels... That will also contribute to a quiet engine I have noticed.

Steve, why do you say that the ZDDP levels contribute to a quiet engine? Just intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back