Amsoil EaO or Motorcraft Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am probably going to stick with the factory OCI on my Marauder since at this time I do not put many miles on the car, I am averaging about 10,000 miles a year on this car. The recommended OCI is 5000 miles.

I can either use a Motorcraft Oil Filter that goes for about 3.50 or so at Wal- Mart and just change it at each OCI, or I can use the EaO Oil Filter and keep it on there for a year, meaning just change the oil at 5000 miles and leave the oil filter on or just take it off and drain it and then put it back on.

If I drive the car more, maybe I would put on almost 15,000 miles a year or so. I am currently running a Filtermag Magnet on the oil filter, but since this is an aluminum engine there may be particles that are released that are not magnetic.

I know tha Amsoil EaO is about $11.00 or so an oil filter, the car now has about 34,000 miles on it, any thoughts on which way I should go.

I'd use the MC filter or the Pure One filter. Pure One filters get more junk out than the Amsoil filters from what I've read. The Amsoil filter is designed for longer OCI's, and doesn't trap as much of the smaller garbage from the oil. It has been discussed on this board and my comments are based on that. Besides you can get PP and a Pure One filter for under $25 depending on where you live. The Amsoil filters aren't cheap. JMO

Luvin' the PureOne.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I'd use the MC filter or the Pure One filter. Pure One filters get more junk out than the Amsoil filters from what I've read. The Amsoil filter is designed for longer OCI's, and doesn't trap as much of the smaller garbage from the oil. It has been discussed on this board and my comments are based on that. Besides you can get PP and a Pure One filter for under $25 depending on where you live. The Amsoil filters aren't cheap. JMO

I planned on leaving the Amsoil EaO Oil Filter for about one year which would probably be between 10,000 to 15,000 miles.

Are you saying that 2 or 3 Motorcraft oil filters over a year will trap more junk.

I think two Pure One filters will do a better job for a 10,000-15000 mile OCI. YOu orginally stated 10,000 miles. Not sure about MC filters IIRC they are the grade below the Pure One filter.

If you were running Amsoil oil for 20,000 miles then maybe their filter would be better. I would opt for the Pure One filter and change it halfway through the 20,000 mile OCI, or use a Mobil 1 filter and change it at 10K miles. Recharge it with 1 fresh qt of oil and continue. My bet is the 2 filters in that interval will trap more junk. But you're going to have a hard time convincing me to leave oil or a filter in an engine with the severe service I do, for a 20,000 mile interval. I don't have much faith in a UOA to back it up either, sorry! YMMV

Last edited:
If this is the case then I will be probably be going the Motorcraft Oil Filter Route once I use up my 2 Amsoil EaO Oil Filters.

I will probably end up using Pennzoil Platinum and Motorcraft Oil Filters for 5000 mile OCI.

I told another member here about my driving habits, and with using Amsoil 0W-20 he only recommended a 7500 mile OCI.

Oil and filters are cheap engines aren't. Use good oil and a good filter follow the OM for OCI's and enjoy the car. Where I lived everything was severe service. LIE, Southern State, Parkway, Belt Parkway, short trips stop and go driving. Maybe if I lived here in WA my whole life I'd look at things differently. I now work 3 miles from home, so I'm severe service all over again!

If you drive 10,000 miles a year change the oil in May and November, PP 6 months or 6000 miles would be the perfect OCI for just about any kind of driving. Change the filter with the oil use a Pure One filter. JMO

Originally Posted By: c3po
I am probably going to stick with the factory OCI on my Marauder since at this time I do not put many miles on the car, I am averaging about 10,000 miles a year on this car. The recommended OCI is 5000 miles.

Just use a low cost filter and change it when you change your oil.

Quote:
Pure One filters get more junk out than the Amsoil filters from what I've read.

That's not correct, so be careful what you read.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Quote:
Pure One filters get more junk out than the Amsoil filters from what I've read.

That's not correct, so be careful what you read.

I could swear I also read that the Pure One and Mobil 1 filters get smaller particles out and have a higher effiency rating. Amsoil filters are built for longer intervals but for shorter OCI's don't filter quite as well. Got to love the WWW for gathering info.

In fact if you really wanted capacity and filtration I would consider getting a dual remote setup and running two pure ones!

If you are going to folow a 5K miles/2 times a year OCI, I would go with the motorcraft or P1 and change the filter twice. I'd probably change before Summer and before winter. I don't like to leave oil in for more than 6 months regardless of what kind of oil it is. I don't like to not change the filter each time and leave .2-.4 quart or what have you of old oil in the engine. I'd probably use conventional pennzoil or quaker state.

If you're running a 5k OCI, and the filter is the MC FL820S, I'd go with that hands down. It's made and engineered for FoMoCo vehicles. Silicone ADBV, and base end bypass, and a great value.

I like Pure One's a lot, but for your car it's Motorcraft. Son uses the FL820S on his 05 Explorer 4.6L, goes by the OLM which ~ 5k.

Might want to look at this classic Ford filter study. He rated the FL 820S tops. Lots of good info on many filters. http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/id9.html

Originally Posted By: sayjac
If you're running a 5k OCI, and the filter is the MC FL820S, I'd go with that hands down. It's made and engineered for FoMoCo vehicles. Silicone ADBV, and base end bypass, and a great value.

I like Pure One's a lot, but for your car it's Motorcraft. Son uses the FL820S on his 05 Explorer 4.6L, goes by the OLM which ~ 5k.

Might want to look at this classic Ford filter study. He rated the FL 820S tops. Lots of good info on many filters. http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/id9.html

That was an awesome read on oil filters, I learned quite a bit, and it looks like I will be going with the Motorcraft Oil Filter.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Yes....you could take this filter to 7.5k-10k easily.

I say use the Motorcraft filter and change it when you change the oil. Although the Amsoil would not be a bad choice, I would use it before a PureOne.

Originally Posted By: Thundercraft
The Motorcraft filter is rated for 20 microns @ 80% efficiency?
The AMSOIL is rated for 15 microns @ 98% efficiency.
The motorcraft is better?

Yeah, I've brought this up before too. 80% efficient at 20 microns isn't that good IMO.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I say use the Motorcraft filter and change it when you change the oil. Although the Amsoil would not be a bad choice, I would use it before a PureOne.

I'm curious on why you'd use the Amsoil before the PureONE.

Originally Posted By: Thundercraft
The Motorcraft filter is rated for 20 microns @ 80% efficiency?
The AMSOIL is rated for 15 microns @ 98% efficiency.
The motorcraft is better?

I always heard that the Motorcraft was a classic Purolator element. The classic Purolator is at least 97.5% @ 20 microns which isn't bad at all for a $3.50 filter, not to mention many of the Motorcraft have a silicon ADBV and a bypass before the element. And for a few dollars more than a motorcraft or classic purolator, the Pureone has higher efficiency than the Amsoil which costs much more. Seems like to me either a Motorcraft or PureOne is clearly the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back