30WT oil for 2009 Volvo 3.0L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Looking for an oil for my 2009 Volvo Penta 3.0 L(carb'd). Currently have only about 6 hours but needs to be changed for storage.

I am in MN so the boating season temps run from about 50 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

The manual says to run straight 30 weight CF/SH GF-4 marine grade dino until 150 hours.After 150 you can switch to synthetic.

I can't seem to find a marine grade 30WT that is CF/SH GF-4 spec'd as per the manual. I found Pennzoil marine 30WT but, I don't see a CF/SH GF-4 rating.

http://www.pennzoil.com/#/engine-oil/pennzoil-marine-4-cycle-heavy-duty-engine-oil

Volvo 30WT is full synthetic...

Options?

What about for warranty requirements?

I'd like to stick with a marine rated oil for it's anti corrosion properties. Also, if any warranty issues come up, they can't blame the oil.

So, marine 30WT that is GF-4?

Originally Posted By: Huie83

The manual says to run straight 30 weight CF/SH GF-4 marine grade dino until 150 hours.After 150 you can switch to synthetic.

Is the engine a inboard or outboard?
lol.gif

Never heard of such a thing!

Did I miss something, what's so funny?

Volvo Penta only makes inboards for marine use. It's the 3.0GLP-J.

http://www.volvo.com/NR/exeres/F96D56B0-3FBF-4BDE-BC18-597F5C655DEC.htm

Reading from the manual. "You are required to use a mineral based oil for the first 150 hours. After the initial 150 hour period, the operator can continue to use mineral based oils or switch to synthetic."

It goes on to say that 30WT CF/SH ILSAC GF-4 is preferred and recommended. The use of multi-grade oils is not recommended...

I am surprised at Volvo's change. my 05 VP was factory filled with synth 30W and has that on the oil cap. I wonder why - I'm sure they have their reason. Can you find Delo 400 30W? thats a very good oil and works well in marine applications.

Tomcat,

I'm sure I can find Delo somewhere. So, do I not need a marine specific oil for warranty?

I don't know where they came up with calling for a GF-4 oil. That specification is only applicable to 0W, 5W, and 10W multi-grade oils, which they tell you not to use. Also, no SH/CF oil would meet GF-4 because of additive levels.

The Pennzoil Marine would be fine. Mercury makes a great line of oils that may be easier to find in boating stores or sporting good stores. Either Delo 400 or Rotella 30W will be just fine also.

Ed

Darn, too late to edit.

Confirm that your manual says GF-4 and not CF-4.

GF-4 is the last thing you want to put in a marine engine.

Ed

You do not need a marine-specific oil for your warranty - as long as you meet the other ILSAC specs. and while certainly marine engines operate under unique conditions (high load, high rpm, cold temps (155-160 degrees instead of the more normal 180-195 for cars) "marine specific" is left open to interpretation as there are no specs for that. many many marine engines run "standard" oils. I'm also pretty sure that Volvo's 30W synthetic is made by Chevron (Delo is a Chevron product)

A carbed 3.0L doesnt need anything synthetic, it is a rather old and proven design, mercruiser have that engine too and I don't think they recommend synthetic for those.
I think that volvo specs full synthetic oil for the latest Gxi engines, which have more output than the old carbed pentas.
The spec in my 5.0Gi manual say 'SH or better' which is what you manual should say too.
Anyways, there is mercruiser 25w40 that will do just as well in the volvo 3.0 and diesle rated 30 oil would do well too. Volvo has a 15w50 synth and mineral oil and also a 30 full synth. I think you could use all except the full synth due to your manual's statement.

Hmmm,

Confirmed that the manual says use CF/SH ILSAC GF-4... Must be a typo. It also warns against using a multi weight oil. SAE 30 WT dino is what it specs. It says if absolutely necessary and nothing else is available you can run a 15 or 20w-50

I'll probably just find that dino Pennzoil marine 30WT and run it. Looks like it is fairly inexpensive @ $14 a gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back