Techron VS Redline SL-1 additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I decided to try Redline SL-1 gas additive to see if I see any improvements in mileage etc compared to me standard gas additive Techron. The label indicated it does the same service as Techron but with the added plus of being an "upper cylinder lube". I wonder, does Techron have an UCL as well??? It doesn' say it does. Answers anyone??

Durango

I would think any improvements in mileage would be insignificant if your engine is already clean and in good shape. The improvements in mpg from Techron may be far less than the mpg variation from the changes in driving habits from one tank of gas to the next.

right but even if your engine is clean oil-wise, it will clean out the fuel system and injectors, and then also the combustion chamber to some extent with the PEA, followed by other things like the EGR

I've tried Amsoil PI, Red Line, Techron, and Regane FI cleaners. Red Line has been the best in the three applications I used it in. For the price I paid for it on Amazon.com it is tough to beat.

I have used both and I liked the Red Line better, but I also think the Techron is a good product. I used the Amsoil PI and it did not do anything.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I have used both and I liked the Red Line better, but I also think the Techron is a good product. I used the Amsoil PI and it did not do anything.

After trying Red Line FI cleaner for the first time I have to agree with you, it clearly is the best FI cleaner I've used to date.

What brings you guys to the consensus that Redline is "better" and "best"? Data? Gut feeling?

So far, the techron is the one that does not impress me. Regane always impressed me with additional power feeling, Redline often comes with additional mpg. Techron just smoothen idle like the rest.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
What brings you guys to the consensus that Redline is "better" and "best"? Data? Gut feeling?

Gut feeling, and my wife made a comment on how much better the Aerostar was running after a bottle of Red Line FI cleaner went through it. She never complains, but notices when something is running better.

I like both. I use a 3 oz maint. dose of either one in each fill up. My gas tanks are 22 and 25 gal.
The Redline folks told me a 1.5 oz dose for each 10 gallons so I figured I'm good.

Originally Posted By: Lakersguy

The Redline folks told me a 1.5 oz dose for each 10 gallons so I figured I'm good.

They told me the same thing and also said I can continue to use MMO with it if I wanted to. I use MMO all the time, and thought I'd toss that question out there.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

After trying Red Line FI cleaner for the first time I have to agree with you, it clearly is the best FI cleaner I've used to date.

+1. Been using SI-1 for around 8 months now religiously. 1 ounce dose per 10 gallons in both cars. Saturn SL has shown a 1-1.5 mpg improvement since using the product. This is truth.

Redline has the highest % of PEA and that is all that matters.

I'll use this stuff as long as they make it!

Last edited:
I like it too, I had tried PI, Techron and Regane and liked the Red Line the best. At some point I would like to test the maint dose and check MPG with and without, then try it with MMO and see how that works. I like the idea that it contains a UCL, but at their suggested dose of 1.5 oz per 10 gallons of gas I think the MMO would still have its place added to the gas for its UCL properties. Especially during the upcoming winter months. JMO

It will be difficult to quantify fuel mileage now. At least in NE, the fuel blend most likely has switched over to winter blend. The mileage *always* drops substantially (at least 15%) with the winter blend in all my cars.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back