2009 JSW 2.0 CRD TDI Factory fill 6K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took this oil sample primarily to determine if coolant was present in the oil. The coolant has ever so slowly dropped steadily since new. Dealer pressure tested the cooling system this week and found no leaks. Blackstone had a "?" in antifreeze column due to high potassium. However, on tdiclub.com mutiple other UOA's on the new common rail engine show high potassium for the first couple changes. I will be changing the oil this weekend with Castrol SLX Professional LL03 to flush out the wear metals, then go 8-10K on future changes. Aluminum, copper, potassium, and silicon flagged for high.

Lab Blackstone
Miles on oil 6,033
Miles on unit 6,033
Sample date 10/4/09
Make up oil 0 quarts

Aluminum 24
Chromium 2
Iron 62
Copper 32
Lead 1
Tin 0
Molybdenum 2
Nickel 1
Manganese 6
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 61
Boron 2
Silicon 27
Sodium 4
Calcium 1699
Magnesium 7
Phosphorus 697
Zinc 887
Barium 0

Sus Visc@210F 66.4
cSt Visc@100C 11.98
Flashpoint F 440
Fuel % Antifeeze % ?
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.1
TBN 4.4

Is common for new gaskets to leak a tad at first. I should say though that it should have stoped by now if itis a head gasket!

Originally Posted By: gonesurfing
I took this oil sample primarily to determine if coolant was present in the oil. The coolant has ever so slowly dropped steadily since new. Dealer pressure tested the cooling system this week and found no leaks. Blackstone had a "?" in antifreeze column due to high potassium. However, on tdiclub.com mutiple other UOA's on the new common rail engine show high potassium for the first couple changes. I will be changing the oil this weekend with Castrol SLX Professional LL03 to flush out the wear metals, then go 8-10K on future changes. Aluminum, copper, potassium, and silicon flagged for high.

This looks very similar to many other UOA on new TDI engines at the 5k-mile point. I do not see anything out of the ordinary. The viscosity and TBN are normal for the factory fill. This oil is good until the normal 10k-mile oil change... it will protect your engine just as well as new oil at this point.

Also, based on having seen so many of these early UOA on '09 or '10 TDIs, there does not seem to be much reason to test again until 30k miles. By then the wear metals should stabilize at a low level, establishing a good baseline for the future.

As a new owner of a 2010 TDI, I'm hearing that the initial fill of 10K is fine. I can't imagine it would hurt it much, as these engines can hum along for so many miles anyway. I think I'll take this advice and just leave it alone until the first 10K change.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Originally Posted By: gonesurfing

This looks very similar to many other UOA on new TDI engines at the 5k-mile point. I do not see anything out of the ordinary. The viscosity and TBN are normal for the factory fill. This oil is good until the normal 10k-mile oil change... it will protect your engine just as well as new oil at this point.

Also, based on having seen so many of these early UOA on '09 or '10 TDIs, there does not seem to be much reason to test again until 30k miles. By then the wear metals should stabilize at a low level, establishing a good baseline for the future.

Pretty much true. TDI's don't really fully break in until at least 15000 miles.

TBN looks fine, considering that 507 oils tend to have a rather low TBN to begin with. You'll have to thank ULSD for that.

Good to see the TBN still at 4.4 at 6k miles. I debated doing 7.5k OCI, but after this, I'm more comfortable with 10k.

I've run both Castrol LL03 and M1 ESP. I like the M1 a little better, as it seems to return slighty better MPG and the car is a touch quieter. However, the next service is 20k and going to be done under the free maint. plan, so it'll get LL03. Like I said, I am much more comfortable with the 10k changes now. Maybe I'll actually run this next change out to 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back