best turbo oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i like to see some opinions on this....im running euro amsoil 5-40 currently, and i live in missouri where the climate is never extreme.
what do you guys think is the best for a modded turbo srt-4, im not worried about the price. m1 0-40 is the factory fill.

Hi,
gregester - M1 0W-40 has a longterm and very sucessful record in turbocharged and supercharged engines. This is especially so with Porsche where it has been the FF and Service fill for nearly 10 years. It is also used as their race oil along with other privateers

Euro Amsoils is preety weak stuff last time I checked which was some time ago. Their is even an Amsoil rep on this site that said it was preety weak stuff when it first came out!

First any oil that has lots of Ester's in it is going to be the best for any application that get's as hot as a turbo charger no matter what else is added to it! So since Amsoil is PAO on their 100% synthetic that rules them out as best! It does not mean it their stuff will not work great only that it is not the best!

redline 10W30,10W40,5W40 would be my first picks. I have not tried Redline 0W40 and have not seen any UOA of it either but if it does not shear too badly it would be ideal as well! My next choice in brands would be Motul 300V in 5W40 it is all ester as well but the additive package is not as beefy as Redlines.

Next inline for all my other oils that would be third choice: Amsoil Series 3000 Heavy Duty 5W30, M1 0W40, 10W40HM,RTS 5W40!

So their you go. Now with all of the above said I think RTS 5W40 would probably work just fine in this but you asked for the best so that changes everything! I seldom use the best myself due to price point I often go with gets the job done and will not comprimise mechanicals which is where all my third choices come in to play all of them will get the job done andnone of them will shorten the life of the parts but none of them are the best!

I wouldn't feel too bad about Mobil 1. High temp performance is one of their specialties.

If you're looking to step up from there, the only clear upgrades will be tough ester-based synthetics. Here's what I'd recommend:

- Motul 300V if you want something with a long-standing record among professional race teams.
- RLI BioSyn if you want something genuinely innovative that will take the punishment without requiring short OCIs.
- Red Line if you want something more familiar.

Hi,
gregester - My Boxster is not turbcharged or supercharged! My CLK Benz is! The Boxster was on M1 0W-40 form the factory until I changed it in 2006-7. I'm using up my Del 1 and I do prepef a HTHS of around 4cP in my non turbocharged Porsche engines! The formulation of M1 0W-40 and Del 1 5W-40 are not dissimilar

Del 1 was in my turbocharged 500hp trucks for millions of kms!

M1 0W-40 has an excellent reputation for turbocharger protection and especially in the area of component cleanliness over long periods. Its a reputation that very few other lubricants can match

Last edited:
In my 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo, I used M1 15W-50 for summer and M1 0W-40 for winter. Engine and turbo were like new until 206,000 miles when my daughter pulled in front of a pickup. (Most damage was to pickup.) Not to say other oils would not have done the same but I have been very happy with M1, both 15W-50 for warm weather and 0W-40 for cold weather. Now using same combination in two 1999 Saab 9-3's and no problems here either. Either of these oils hold up well when hot turbos are spooling down after being run hard.

First of all there is nothing at all wrong with Amsoil AFL 5W-40 in your application. Essentially the real problem is how many things John Browning gets wrong. The only weakness of AFL: it's not a super long drain oil and it's a light 40. But I doubt you will be going beyond 10K mile OCI's in your turbo and the viscosity is fine for the SRT . John Browning gets so many things wrong about Amsoil products, he should just stop commenting on which he doesn't know.

Originally Posted By: Tomcat360
I'm new, but what about GC? Would that work too for a turbo application?

It sure does, it's pretty much all I use in my '05 Subaru STi (COBB Stage 1).

your using mtf in your tranny.....how is it?????, i thought about doing that but stuck to the atf amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back