Router Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Asus router I put in just over a year ago when my D-Link stopped working kicked the bucket today.

It was loosing an enormous amount of packets both on the wired clients and wireless and the wireless signal would mysteriously disappear at random.

The router wasn't freezing just acting really strange.

I tried re-flashing it with DD-WRT to see if it was just corrupted but that didn't help.

Pulled it out of my network and went out and bought a new one.

Nothing was on special and I wasn't about to pay close to $100 for a consumer grade router but needed something because I have lots of work to do tonight so I ended up getting a Trend-Net TEW-632BRP 300mps Wireless-N router.

The thing is very fast and works great... I have 30 days to exchange it if it is a problem, I don't think it will be.

It does all the stuff a Link-Sys/D-Link do and the web based interface is really clean and easy to navigate. I'm impressed for $50 what it does.

It also has a 3 year manufacturer warranty and they have a repair/exchange center in Ontario close to where I live so no need to mail it away should something happen.

Anyways... Thought I would post it here...

Will keep y'all posted if it runs as long without a reboot as the Asus one did.

Too bad... I really liked the Asus one too.
frown.gif

TEW-632BRP_a11_d1_1.jpg

I have a Trendnet Access Point attached to my router and I have to reset it about once a week or wireless cannot connect. The signal is there, but nothing can connect. Otherwise it works great.

Tried Firmware update?

I had a similar problem with a D-Link access point for a friend and we updated the Firmware and it was fine for a couple years until it stopped working all together.

I have a trendnet 432 and it gave trouble nearly every day until I found some odd settings related to the becon settings on a forum. The latest firmware seemed to make it worse. From what I understand the 632 is a bit better. I only paid $15 for the 432 so I wasn't expecting much.

I have spent the last few hours reading reviews of this router and it appears it was the older version 1.0 that were problematic and the new 1.1's have increased ram (32mb DDR) a 400mhz processor and 4mb of flash memory for an image and an Atheros(sp?) chipset instead of a Broadcom. They are made actually by D-LINK and are DIR-615C's and can run this same firmware with some minor work.

The DIR-615C's seem to have good reviews all over the net so it would appear that it was or is a firmware issue with the TrendNET version.

Either way it's running very reliably right now and very fast compared to the ASUS which surprised the heck out of me.

It is running the latest firmware right now. I will be putting DD-WRT on it after 30 days but only if those guys over there come out with a version that works on it. Right now the router is flagged as WiP. (Work in Progress) meaning they don't have a "stable" version for this yet.

If any problems arise I will keep you posted. So far nothing but smooth sailing and the interface isn't buggy at all. Very impressed.

I'm on it right now downloading (as usual), my dad, mom and sister are also on it. So it's had a good workout since 5pm and it's now 9:44pm no hickups.
thumbsup2.gif

That sucks... What Make/Model? Could you put a Microversion of DD-WRT on it and see if that helps... It can run on some Access-Points.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
TEW-638APB and no, does not look like it.
Support told me to reflash it and if that does not fix it to RMA it.
That sucks...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
You need to run them dudes on synthetic electricity to get a little better lifespan!
48.gif

StevieC:

I would recommend trying another AC Adaptor on the ASUS. There was a bad run of them and one of the caps inside them go. It makes you think the router is FUBAR, but it actually isn't. First sign of this is spotty wireless, as the adaptor cannot handle the current draw.

Also, DD-WRT didn't void anything. Don't worry about it. And if the adaptor trick doesn't work, give ASUS a call. I am sure they can be persuaded to replace it, since it is so close to being within warranty.

Just about everything electronic from CommieLand manufacturing requires 'synthetic' electricity.
5 years ago I would NEVER have bought an extended warranty from the store or manufacturer. Now, I do buy them and 'exercise' those stupid warranties all the time. Hopefully their warehouses overflow with my 'returns'.

All my 'switching' UPS's are gone. Now my synthetic electricity comes from 'interactive' and 'online' battery backups with serious surge protection.

But, even if I prevent the national grid from making every effort to roast my electronics, it seems that poor solder(cold welds) and defective chips(usually undercooled) are the next failure that we have no way of preventing.

Dissemble that Asus router see if you can spot the point of failure.

Intermittent lost packet but nothing else seems to be an RF or amplifier related issue. Some components have burn out.

You can still used it as a wired router, and if one day you get across a [censored] router that crashes all the time but have good signal, maybe you can combine them together as a good router.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Just about everything electronic from CommieLand manufacturing requires 'synthetic' electricity.
5 years ago I would NEVER have bought an extended warranty from the store or manufacturer. Now, I do buy them and 'exercise' those stupid warranties all the time. Hopefully their warehouses overflow with my 'returns'.

All my 'switching' UPS's are gone. Now my synthetic electricity comes from 'interactive' and 'online' battery backups with serious surge protection.

But, even if I prevent the national grid from making every effort to roast my electronics, it seems that poor solder(cold welds) and defective chips(usually undercooled) are the next failure that we have no way of preventing.

Dissemble that Asus router see if you can spot the point of failure.

It is not just Chinese, but them "German Engineering" is equally as bad. I blame the bad solder joint on the RoHS compliance and lead free solder.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
StevieC:

I would recommend trying another AC Adaptor on the ASUS. There was a bad run of them and one of the caps inside them go. It makes you think the router is FUBAR, but it actually isn't. First sign of this is spotty wireless, as the adaptor cannot handle the current draw.

Also, DD-WRT didn't void anything. Don't worry about it. And if the adaptor trick doesn't work, give ASUS a call. I am sure they can be persuaded to replace it, since it is so close to being within warranty.

Thank you sir... Will check.

YAY... My ASUS Router is working again... I used another 5V 2.5A Voltage adapter (I had laying around) as per OVERK1LL's suggestion and the router is working perfectly again.

I opened up the other one that came with the router and the Capacitor did blow up like he said it might have.

Thanks OVERK1LL! You saved me $50+Tax!!!!! I got my DD-WRT router back!

Woohoo!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back