ARX & Aluminum Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
Well you would understand the condition of people engines varies by a huge amount. I know the approx state of our three engines and vary the clean/rinse phase accordingly. Now the majority of people out there are not anal oil idiots ike myslf, so it puts Frank and co in a no win situation. How can they set the right mileage for every engine? They can't, so they have to pick a suitable position which has been modified over the years by listening to client feedback. Clean initially started at 500 miles and is now 3,000 isn't it? I also learn't over the years not to use oil containing ester, a very expensive lesson for me on one vehicle. Cheers..s

sprintman, if people who are going to use arx have either used dino oil or had infrequent oil changes then the condition of there engines may not be that good, if they have just bought a used car, maybe expect the worst.

Lets take my Mom's 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo that developed a slight leak at 95,000 miles. She bought the car new, and at 3000 miles we started using Mobil 1, she insisted on 3000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1, her car, her rules. I did the seal leak application of arx, but I did a double Rinse, no more leaks, when you popped the oil cap off the valvetrain looked spotless, I believe arx was a success because the engine was so clean.

I know Gary Allan may read this, and please Gary do not feel bad about this statement, but when it comes to arx Stephen a.k.a. sprintman is the expert on arx, and Gary you come in 2nd.

The Monte Carlo now has 108,000 miles and there are no leaks.

NO I'm NOT an expert. I just have been doing 'my own thing' for many years. That doesn't make me an expert by any means. Anyway Expert is an awful title, X is an unknown quantity, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

It seems like doing your own thing has worked for you with using arx.

Instead of expert we will go with very knowledgeable, does that sound better.

NO I'm NOT an expert. I just have been doing 'my own thing' for many years. That doesn't make me an expert by any means. Anyway Expert is an awful title, X is an unknown quantity, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Well, let's just say that your "expertise" is the the closest thing there is to an ARX expert :) In all seriousness though, you're the go-to guy for ARX and you have a lot of sound advice for those who want to use it. In the past, I know I PM'd you, didn't contact anyone at ARX at all.

But you're the guy I'd ask about ARX.

Not in transmissions. And what works for me and the time it takes won't be for most. I see adding RX as something you do then forget about it. Most here though seem to fuss over it, look under valve covers??, and well you name it. Add 30z per quart/litre and forget it's there is the best advice I can give. If lifters get noisy change filter. I just wish it didn't cost me A$660 a case.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
And isn't that's what I have been saying for many years??

Then why don't the directions say to run it longer? It would save ton's of bandwidth and people would be able to decide if it pays to run a treatment based on their time and mile constraints.

That's fine for using a product. It's not necessarily wise when marketing a product.

First of all, how many here are just getting acclimated to the 5000 mile oil change? You're not going to be able to market to the most people if you extend it any further. Then you get back to the "if you use a conventional" and "if you use a synthetic" ..and what if the person who uses a synthetic for 3000 miles?

Now there are provisions for known sludge engines ..but suppose it's an unknown sludge engine?

There's not too many ways to filter out the challenges to KISS.

So how long to use it in a transmission application?

Not to go off topic here, but I have found 40 ml of ARX per litre of ATF to be a decent dosage. Transmissions obviously vary as far as their ATF capacity is concerned and 180 ml was, IMO a bit too generic. 5,000 km (3,000 miles) also seems to yield better results than the recommended 1,600 km (1,000 miles).

"Now there are provisions for known sludge engines ..but suppose it's an unknown sludge engine?" - Gary Allan

From my own experience I would say be careful what you advise others to do. The one time I let ARX stay in my engine for the full oil change interval (3,000 miles) I had a oil filter full of sludge. Up until that point I had no idea I had a sludge problem. Opening up the filter at lesser mileage intervals revealed no sludge. As they say "your results may vary".

Re: AUTO - RX: Does it do what it claims?? [Re: va3ux]
Frank

Loc: Jacksonville Beach Fl I am working on new (clearer applications formats) know mine and add-on's by well meaning people have been convuluded.

We took instructions from our printing plant experiences and tried to convert them to automotive.

Until instructions are uploaded on web site if you have any questions especially on seal leaks-oil burning e-mail me and I will try and make Auto-Rx Application a good experience.

This post that I found kind of explains how arx came up with there application instructions, but in all fairness arx has changed there application instructions over the years by getting feedback from people who have used the product.

Originally Posted By: c3po

This post that I found kind of explains how arx came up with there application instructions, but in all fairness arx has changed there application instructions over the years by getting feedback from people who have used the product.

It is called product evolution. A product doesn't have to change all the time, but it can evolve by people find better ways to use it. In some cases it can be used in conjunction with another product for even better results. JMO

Last edited:
Falcon LS, you did 4 treatments of arx

1) 2500 miles for the Clean Phase X 4 cleanings equals 10,000 miles.
2) 3000 miles for the Rinse Phase X 4 rinses equals 12,000 miles.

This whole process took 22,000 miles, and that is what your cylinder heads look like. If you used 4 bottles of arx, so $25.00 a bottle, the pics show what $100.00 worth of arx did for you.

I have seen many other valvetrain pics like this from people who have used arx and all of the cylinder heads were made out of aluminum.

I looked back and can't find FalconLS's treatment specs. Is this what you really did Falcon?

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]
Falcon LS, you did 4 treatments of arx

This whole process took 22,000 miles, and that is what your cylinder heads look like. If you used 4 bottles of arx, so $25.00 a bottle, the pics show what $100.00 worth of arx did for you.

I have seen many other valvetrain pics like this from people who have used arx and all of the cylinder heads were made out of aluminum.

I looked back and can't find FalconLS's treatment specs. Is this what you really did Falcon?

You might not find all of the information on FalconLS's treatment specs here, but he did go into greater detail over on the ARX Forum.

Didn't you mention somewhere that he did 4 treatments and estimated it took him over 20,000 miles, or was it someone else who posted that?
21.gif
I remember reading it here I thought? Thanks.

Here it is I'm not going crazy, these double shifts can get to ya.
I think there is enough detail here:

c3po

Loc: Maryland Falcon LS, you did 4 treatments of arx

This whole process took 22,000 miles, and that is what your cylinder heads look like.

If you used 4 bottles of arx, so $25.00 a bottle, the pics show what $100.00 worth of arx did for you.

I cannot cut and paste Falcon's post, something with this computer, but its on page 6 of this thread, its his first post on here where he shows the pics.

Here it is I'm not going crazy

crazy2.gif
i beg to differ, you just posted the same thing i did lol. i went to ARx forum and can't find it but i believe you, i choose to have faith in people until they lead me astray

Re: ARX & Aluminum Engines [Re: c3po]
Falcon_LS

Loc: Kuwait I'm just going to chime in here with a couple of pictures of my aluminium cylinder head, after my engine (Mitsubishi 6G72) has gone through four Auto-Rx treatments.

Here it is, I did not want to cut and paste the whole post.

Falcon LS

Date: Wed Apr 22 05:41:02 2009
Oil burning issue ARX may not fix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've done 3 treatments in my truck so far for oil burning. ARX managed to cut down on the amount of blue smoke, but could not stop it - reason being its a mechanical issue, my valve guides are shot. ARX cannot fix a mechanical problem that's already there.

That said, the improved fuel economy and performance alone were worth the treatments and I'm going to be running half a bottle once I sort out the problem in June. The new seals and gaskets would have a great start to their service life that way.

Sorry for the double post, but I found this on the arx site, this was dated April 22, 2009. It seems Falcon has said he will be doing another treatment. I am sorry to say I did not find Falcon's original thread where he documented everything, it seems that it has been deleted from the arx forum site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back