Lambo Murcielago RLI at 1,800 mi., 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the latest analysis of my wife’s 2004 Murcielago with a total of 9,700 mi on the unit and 1,800 mi on the RLI oil. This oil was in for a year and a half. It is their 0W-20. At the same time the new RLI oil was put in I also changed the spark plugs (based on time) and used some anti-seize grease on the threads. Terry said this added to the analysis.

My wife loved the RL oil and did not want me to change brands. After I put the RLI oil in she noted that the engine was more smooth and quiet and took me out to dinner.

Commentes from Terry Dyson include:
Keep in mind that wear particle numbers can be several fold higher in his analysis compared to others because of methodology.
Still breaking in.
There is some left over Red Line 5W-20 in this sample (the previous oil to this was in fact RL 5W-20. This is the first use of RLI in this engine).
The oil is a little wet from water and fuel. A few hours on the road at speed would help.

...............Renewable Lubricants Inc. 1,800 on oil, 9,700 on the car.
.................................................................................
Iron___________ 7
Chromium _____ 1
Nickel ________ 1
Aluminum _____ 1
lead __________ 4
Copper _______ 56
Tin ___________ 0
Silver _________ 0
Titanium ______ 0
Silicon ________ 5
Boron ________ 16
Sodium _______ 14
Potassium _____ 0
Molybdenum __ 123
Phosphorus ___ 911
Zinc _________ 920
Calcium _____ 1871
Barium _______ 3
Magnesium ____ 12
Antimony _____ 139
Vanadium _____ 0
Fuel %Vol _____ 1.16
Wtr %vol _____ 882 KF
Vis CS 40C ___ 39.6
Vis CS 100C __ 7.9
SAE Grade ____ 20
Gly test ______ Neg
TBN _________ 6.4
TAN ________ 1.48
Flash ________ 335
Oxid ________ 156
Nit __________ 9
Soot _________ 0
VisIndex _____ 177
Sulfate by product _117

aehaas

High copper, but it's still a low mile vehicle. Nice and decent add pack, could ride out the oil longer though no? TBN of 6.4, does your wife rev it to high rpm's often?

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
Here is the latest analysis of my wife’s 2004 Murcielago with a total of 9,700 mi on the unit and 1,800 mi on the RLI oil. This oil was in for a year and a half. It is their 0W-20.

So this is the 0W20? There was some confusion re the grade of RLI in an earlier UOA thread this...past summer.

Last edited:
OiL looks good ( TAN and TBN), must have a large Cu alloy oil cooler? IS this a dry sump system? I dont understand the spark plug change though. Worried about seizing in place over time I would guess?

With five cars and only a 12 mile commute to the office it is hard to put many miles on the cars. I had 0W-30 in the Enzo and the viscosity fell to 8.6 after 1,400 miles but with more fuel. RLI wanted a sample of my oil from that run and I am waiting for their comment.

The Cu was 100 a few runs back. There is a large oil cooler in this dry sump engine so there is cause for a lot of copper.
Yes, I am worried about seizing with the spark plugs so I changed them in the Enzo and Murcielago based only on time.

My wife is a high rev person, more than me, but she shifts. I sometimes run for a mile at top RPM in first gear. At other times I will run in top gear just idling at 35 MPH.

aehaas

The 40 and 100 C viscosities are exactly the same as the VOA so no changes with this particular oil run, even with fuel dilution.

With five cars and only a 12 mile commute to the office it is hard to put many miles on the cars.

Five cars, so that's

1. Enzo
2. Lambo
3. Bentley
4. Maybach
5. Expedition?

Doc, it's time to add something new and intriguing to the stable:

phantom-coupe.jpg

The $25,000 optional "start light" headliner is breath taking. It is a Must See if you ever get the chance.

Yes on the Expedition.

The $25,000 optional "start light" headliner is breath taking. It is a Must See if you ever get the chance.

Notice anything missing on the Phantom Coupe in the above photo?

Nope.

Every photo of the Phantom coupe and Phantom drophead I've seen shows the cars with the optional stainless steel bonnet and A pillar cladding. The coupe in this photo doesn't have it...and I think it looks better without it.

phantom-coupe.jpg

Here's one with the SS bonnet option:

2009-phantom-coupe-grille.jpg

Quote:
With five cars and only a 12 mile commute to the office it is hard to put many miles on the cars.

Work less. More road trips.

I assume still new air filter? What oil filter?

Which spark plugs did you use on replacement? Nitration is nice.

Was the oil changed at this analysis? I assume not. If so, I would have to ask why - time?

I can't really comment on the UOA since I'm more of a visual guy. Hint, hint.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Every photo of the Phantom coupe and Phantom drophead I've seen shows the cars with the optional stainless steel bonnet and A pillar cladding. The coupe in this photo doesn't have it...and I think it looks better without it.

OT but check out this video of armored rolls being shot with machine guns, etc. from top gear website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTTCMT1e0BE&feature=player_embedded#

The air filters were replaced about 3 years ago.
Oil Filter - UFI 3088800, Air Filter UFI 2328900
Plugs- Champion RA59PP 0.5-0.6mm, 17.6Nm
I did change the oil with the same RLI product, the 0W-20. It was changed on time, not milage.

From a note answering questions of Terry Dyson:
'Just wanted to say that Linda listened to your audio analysis of her Murcielago and very much enjoyed the review. Just so you know, she did not want me the change the RL for RLI as she was married to the results. After doing the change AMA (against medical advice) she drove the car and the first thing she said was " wow the engine is way more smooth", I kid you not. She can tell if the tire pressure is down by only 5 lbs from the recommended 45 PSI per tire. I cannot tell any difference.

Lamborghini Murcielago
1/2004 On delivery - Lexol leather conditioner on all leather, then CoverAll protectant. Wax with 3M all painted areas reachable, all cracks, underside, wheel wells, any reachable frame and suspension parts, rubber protectant, all areas reachable.
575 mi. 2/20/04 engine and trans/diff oils, all nuts and bots tightened, checked and cushioned lines and hoses.
2,700 miles 12/1/04, 0W-30 Mobil 1, change/flush brake fluid - Lamborghini Altanta, then at home, all gear fluids.
11/11/05 4,200 Red Line 5W-20.
11/19/06 6,100mi 5W-20 RL, antifreeze x 2, air filters, PS/lift system fluid, replace improved anti-sway bar mounts.
3/7/08 7,700 mi. 0W20 RLI, spark plugs -With anti-rust/stick compound on threads.
8/28/07 Sears Platinum Diehard.1-30-09 Interstate MT 34 - 72 Mo Batt.,
10-10-09 9,600mi 0W-20 RLI, all gear/trans fluids-OEM Agip.,

It looks as though I did not get a UOA on the last run of RL oil before the change into RLI.

The air filter has 3 years and 3,500 miles on it. I use only Shell premium, no additives.

aehaas

Well anti-sieze comes in more then one flavor some are nickel based some are copper based? Which did you use good Doctor as your Cu could be from anti-sieze if you used copper based instead of Nickel based. Either will work for spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back