ARX & Aluminum Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
How does the car run now?

She runs like a champ, especially with 98 RON fuel and a maintenance dose of TC-W3.
thumbsup2.gif
I'm also running a quart MMO in there right now with Motorcraft 10W-30, for a full interval.

Having said that, I'm sure Mobil 1 0W-40 will keep the engine cheap.
55.gif

Falcon LS, I am sure the Mobil 1 0W-40 will keep your engine clean, when you get done with this OCI can you post us some pics of the used oil like panthermike did.

Originally Posted By: c3po
Falcon LS, I am sure the Mobil 1 0W-40 will keep your engine clean, when you get done with this OCI can you post us some pics of the used oil like panthermike did.

No probs, c3po! Will do.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Glad to hear it, in the end a good running vehicle is what this is all about!

Thanks, demarpaint!
thumbsup2.gif

My BMW had M1 0W40 all it's life changed every 8,000 kms (5,000 miles). VANOS rattled like a diesel and it didn't run very smoothly. Ist RX clean (5,000kms) became dirty pretty quickly as did the rinse. 2nd clean nearly half way through and the oil is pretty clean in comparison, and VANOS rattle has gone.

I had a thought here after looking at Falcon LS's valvetrain pics, its obvious that his cylinder heads as well as the engine block is made out of aluminum. We all know that aluminum dissipates heat better than cast iron, and we also know that arx is heat activated, so could there be a correlation with aluminum dissapating the heat and therefor arx has a harder time cleaning the contaniments off the aluminum cylinder heads.

I was also surprised in looking at Falcon's pics that his camshaft which is steel seemed to have some junk on it, maybe this all goes back to his aluminum engine dissapating the heat and maybe this explains why his 4 treatments of arx did not show the results that he wanted. I am just wondering if his engine would have been clean if he had used Neutra on the Rinse Phase of arx.

I'm surprised by Falcon's lack of cleaning after that much treatment. He really had to have one dirty engine before hand.

I had a thought here after looking at Falcon LS's valvetrain pics, its obvious that his cylinder heads as well as the engine block is made out of aluminum.

Actually this particular engine has an aluminium head. The block itself is cast iron.
55.gif

I had a thought here after looking at Falcon LS's valvetrain pics, its obvious that his cylinder heads as well as the engine block is made out of aluminum. We all know that aluminum dissipates heat better than cast iron, and we also know that arx is heat activated, so could there be a correlation with aluminum dissapating the heat and therefor arx has a harder time cleaning the contaniments off the aluminum cylinder heads.

I was also surprised in looking at Falcon's pics that his camshaft which is steel seemed to have some junk on it, maybe this all goes back to his aluminum engine dissapating the heat and maybe this explains why his 4 treatments of arx did not show the results that he wanted. I am just wondering if his engine would have been clean if he had used Neutra on the Rinse Phase of arx.

Here is something that raises a question about aluminum. You say A-rX doesn't work well in aluminum heads etc. You also say it is heat activated? OK then why are transmissions that are housed in aluminum, and don't run as hot as an engine get cleaned up in 1000 miles? I've read numerous posts about how well it cleans PS and transmissions, and believe it does. Could it be it works better with hydraulic type fluids than oil? Meaning it needs less time with that type of fluid? Sprintman says to run it longer that they suggest perhaps he is correct. It might need more time to work with oil and higher heat! JMO

Then again looking at Falcon's pictures and 4 treatments of the stuff that must have been one dirty engine. After 4 treatments and $100 cost I think I would have said "uncle". What we have to understand is that not everything can be fixed, and when something fails try something else! Or punt!

I ran arx in my transmission for 3000 miles, so sprintman is correct in running arx longer. Whenever I dropped my trans pan it looked spotless inside, so why did arx darken my trans fluid, and after I changed out the fluid that had arx in it run so much better.

I am guessing that it cleaned out my valve body and the torque converter, and I am guessing that the fluid that flows through the transmission and powersteering is not splash fed but pressure fed. Look how many people do cooler line flushes for the transmission, as far as powersteering fluid in a Rack and Pinion setup, I am not sure if that is pressure fed, but I think it is.

I still have my old trans pan that I took off and changed after the arx treatment, the whole bottom of the pan had a layer of gray grime.

I believe the torque converter is the hottest part of the transmission, and a transmission can get as hot as the engine, look at all of the threads on external transmission coolers, heat is an issue with transmissions, even my Marauder came from the factory with an external transmission cooler, its as wide as my radiator, but I have to say that my external trans cooler on that car also cools the powersteering fluid, so one part of the cooler is for the trans, and the other part of the cooler is for the powersteering.

Very true.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
StevieC and I have had quite a few discussions about Auto-Rx, and we both came to the conclusion that the recommended mileage intervals should be doubled to acheive the best possible results.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
And isn't that's what I have been saying for many years??

Then why don't the directions say to run it longer? It would save ton's of bandwidth and people would be able to decide if it pays to run a treatment based on their time and mile constraints.

And isn't that's what I have been saying for many years??

When I went back through the oil additive section I noticed that sprintman has been saying this since 2003, he may even have said this in 2002.

Correct. I've used more bottles of RX in testing than most have had hot dinners. Different strokes fer different folks!

sprintman, since you have been right since 2002 about increasing the mileage for arx use, have you given thought to recommending how many miles people should be doing these different arx applications. The transmission application is 1000 miles, and I extended it to 3000 miles. If you have done the most arx testing then maybe you are the correct person to give advice on extending the mileage use for arx.

Will we see a 3500 mile Clean Phase and a 4000 mile Rinse Phase.

Well you would understand the condition of people engines varies by a huge amount. I know the approx state of our three engines and vary the clean/rinse phase accordingly. Now the majority of people out there are not anal oil idiots ike myslf, so it puts Frank and co in a no win situation. How can they set the right mileage for every engine? They can't, so they have to pick a suitable position which has been modified over the years by listening to client feedback. Clean initially started at 500 miles and is now 3,000 isn't it? I also learn't over the years not to use oil containing ester, a very expensive lesson for me on one vehicle. Cheers..s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back