What makes Windows 7 better than Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm told that it's actually smaller and less bloated in certain areas, kinda throwback to win2000 ideals.

Post is 5 minutes old, I hope windows 7 users aren't having issues viewing the site? hehe.

basically windows 7 is what vista should have been.. its also less bloaty, and supports some new technology better such as... SSD's

Vista is like ME. They threw out something to try to keep market share between 98SE and XP. This time it was between XP and Se7en. It probably actually worked against them.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
What makes Windows 7 better than Vista?

It's not Vista.

(But truth be told, I've not had any problems with Vista.)

Faster, cleaner, more stable, less buggy, easier to use. Not quite as fast as XP but with many more features and a newer interface.

i wouldnt compare vista to ME.
ME wasnt even the same codebase as 2000/xp that replaced it.

and to be truthful vista now is fine.. its only when it came out that it was horrid.

dont get me started about 300KB 6-hour transfers between raids that should have been 200MB/sec and a couple seconds.

or dvd drives taking an hour to install a game that took literally 5 min in xp

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work

For one, Vista is a resource hog,

Personally, I have not found it to be the case. Maybe it does preload some stuff that older systems would not, but that's the whole point, so it can be faster. What's the point of having a lot of RAM if it's going to be sitting unused?

FYI, I've got 3GB RAM in my Vista desktop, and it usually never uses more than 1 GB. 1.5 GB if I have a lot of apps running.

There's a lot to be said about Win7, put the disc in, install, reboot install updates, reboot. A FULLY up to date Windows installation that:
1) is faster than Vista
2) doesn't off the kludgeyness as Vista
3) boots faster than Vista
4) doesn't cough, spitter & sputter like Vista

Dunno about everyone else but I'm doing a flavour of Linux next on my computers... I'm done with Microslop. I will keep windows on my work computer because we have applications written for it specifically but for all else I will be MS free.

I have had enough of their nonsense.

I've tried Win7 out on four computers, both 32 bit and 64 bit versions, and I like it a lot. I have a couple of copies of Vista Ultimate and I'm one of the guys who parked that computer and went back to XP. Vista was junk and still is as far as I'm concerned. My Vista rig still won't see the optical drives... painfully slow copies, etc. etc.

Windows 7 sets up easily, is noticeably faster than either XP or Vista and has a lot of nice user interface improvements. I plan to use it.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

iolo Technologies doesn't seem to think so, but then again, I'm not sure they're the most objective authority on the subject.

I certainly am going to treat my Vista PC to a W7 upgrade, but all in all, I haven't really had any issues with Vista to speak of.

1. Did the interface change at all? (I liked XP's start menu better)

2. Did they get rid of the annoying Account control warnings?

Account control has 4 different levels. The level above off is the best of both worlds. MS *SHOULD* have architected it like this back in Vista.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
There's a lot to be said about Win7, put the disc in, install, reboot install updates, reboot. A FULLY up to date Windows installation that:
1) is faster than Vista
2) doesn't off the kludgeyness as Vista
4) doesn't cough, spitter & sputter like Vista

+1 or this

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Dunno about everyone else but I'm doing a flavour of Linux next on my computers... I'm done with Microslop. I will keep windows on my work computer because we have applications written for it specifically but for all else I will be MS free.

I have had enough of their nonsense.

That's the ticket. Free your mind....your bass will follow.

Vista will be OK if you have tons of ram, otherwise it will hog all the resoueces from you computer, I have Vista 64bit and 4gigs of ram and so far it's OK, I can have Crysis open in the background and run some other apps. post on bitog and download stuff at the same time without issues. So if Windows 7 can use these 4gigs even more efficiently, that's great news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back