What do you guys think of this tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 20 years old and will be buying tires for the first time in my life. I was looking on tirerack.com and found these (Bridgestone Potenza) and was wondering what you guys think based off of the information available.

They are for a 1989 Honda Accord SE-i sedan

Last edited:
It's one of the best tires on the market. There are a lot of good tires with a lot of different characteristics on the market, you just have to be realistic with what suits you. A lot of young guys think they need super HP summer performance tires on big rims. It seems you are doing better than that.

Do you need the high-performance of the Potenzas along with the high price and only modest wear, or would somthing cheaper, with better wear and better ride better suit an old Accord? I have a 2007 Accord Coupe, and I think the Potenzas are overkill for my car!

Honestly, the most important thing imo would be to first pick the best size for your car. Can you go to a 60 series, like 205/60-15??? One tire I might suggest is something like the General Altimax HP, which rides nicely and is cheap. Maybe Yoko TRZ would be realisticly the best way to spend the money.

Post a lil more info about size, where you drive and how many miles are on the Accord.

That size is supposedly the OEM size for my car according to tirerack. I'm looking for something that will handle well in the snow during the winter as I do not have ABS brakes. I have 215,000 miles on the car and it runs like new so i'm planning on getting several more years out of it easy. I drive about 20,000 miles a year, mostly on the highway. I've had problems recently with the current set of Enduro tires becoming out of round and causing some major vibrations at highway speeds.

Funny thing there, I know off hand that size is very cheap in the RE960. $49 it's a steal. My nephew could use that size on his Volvo, and that's one we looked at. Heck, on my other friend's Audi in 17", they are $160! So, forget what I said and get them. Realisticly, it compares to like an $80 tire in that size. It's a freak thing that gets them cheaper than the lower Bridgestone model, the G019. Really, they are a steal. My 16" size they are more like $90. Be happy with any decent tire for that price, the RE960s are nearly the best. If you want a lil more wear or snow bite, maybe the Generals.

The whole reason I posted this thread was because that price seemed ridiculously low for a tire with those reviews and ratings, figured i'd see if there was something I was missing. Looks like i'll be ordering them tomorrow then.

The link you posted was for 195/60R14, so let me look again.

Ok, pretty much what I said goes, including the Altimax comment.

My Mom's Passat takes that size. I got her a pair of Altimax last time. The Potenzas are tempting, I dunno if I can get her to bite on them.

For reference, I remember paying $80 for the Turanza Revos she still sports on the back of her car. They are old and should be tossed.

Give discounttiredirect.com a call (800-589-6789) to see if they can beat Tirerack's $47 (plus shipping) for that RE960 195/60-14.

Anyway, $47/ea is a very good price for that quality tire.

Get the total price from TR includes shipping then call that toll-free number, asking for Bill Fournier he is Discount Tire Direct Sales Agent, or call this toll-free number: (800) 707-8473 Ext: 51861, this is his extension.

Tell him a friend who bought tires from him gave you this phone and extension number to call to see if he can match/beat TR price (include shipping)

Last edited:
Years ago (1993) my brother bought a new Subaru Legacy wagon which came with Bridgestone RE92's. (I'm pretty certain that was the model number) These OE tires were worn out by 15K with no alignment issues. That turned me off Bridgestone tires.
At $53 apiece maybe it's time to take another look at these for my 2008 Corolla. They appear to be a very good tire for the price. I usually buy tires with higher UTOG #'s because longevity is more important to me than slightly sportier handling but the survey rates these pretty durable.

My son had a set of the 960's on a Maxima. He said they were good tires and handled well.

He had a set of Bridgestone 019 grid later and said for the money they were great and very close in handling on his Maxima. Just a cheaper tire you may want to look at.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Give discounttiredirect.com a call (800-589-6789) to see if they can beat Tirerack's $47 (plus shipping) for that RE960 195/60-14.

Anyway, $47/ea is a very good price for that quality tire.

$47? no way! This used to be a $70 tire, and yes, one of the best.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Get the total price from TR includes shipping then call that toll-free number, asking for Bill Fournier he is Discount Tire Direct Sales Agent, or call this toll-free number: (800) 707-8473 Ext: 51861, this is his extension.

Tell him a friend who bought tires from him gave you this phone and extension number to call to see if he can match/beat TR price (include shipping)
+1 Can't hurt to try, the worst they can say is, no can do.

What is TR's total price including shipping?

Remember too, DT and DTD( DTD is specifically on that tire) have a $70 rebate on a set of 4 Bridgestone until the end of the month. So if they match or come close (without rebate) you could come out ahead with DTD. DTD price includes shipping.

Originally Posted By: nfs480
That size is supposedly the OEM size for my car according to tirerack. I'm looking for something that will handle well in the snow during the winter as I do not have ABS brakes.

That should actually help your braking in the snow. Unless you think you should be able to brake and steer at the same time!
grin2.gif

Check your door jamb sticker before ordering to confirm the size. That does look like a good tire for the price.

I ordered them earlier today, I chose them for winter handling and because they aren't expensive at all. Also, the last time my dad bought super cheap tires they became out of round pretty quickly (the reason for buying this set)

Originally Posted By: rpn453
That size is supposedly the OEM size for my car according to tirerack. I'm looking for something that will handle well in the snow during the winter as I do not have ABS brakes.

That should actually help your braking in the snow. Unless you think you should be able to brake and steer at the same time!
grin2.gif

Check your door jamb sticker before ordering to confirm the size. That does look like a good tire for the price.

Double checked the door jam and that really is the stock tire size for my car.

Originally Posted By: rpn453

grin2.gif

Double checked the door jam and that really is the stock tire size for my car.

That must have been back when the Accord was classified as a compact car and wasn't much bigger than the current Civic. I recall it had pop-up headlights. I used to drive an '89 Integra with 195/60R14 tires. While few tires of that size at the time were really superb handlers (Dunlop D60M2 was exceptional though) the really nice thing was that it was cheap to get decent tires.

800px-3rd_Honda_Accord_--_09-07-2009.jpg

I'd also note that there are substantial differences between the same model of tire as you move up in size. I've got the RE960AS in 205/55R16, which is a very high performance tire with a W (over 168 MPH) speed rating. It's a little difficult to judge the overall ratings because there are just so many different sizes and types of vehicles that are using the same model. If you look at the sizes and potential applications for the RE960AS, it ranges from higher end econobox to moderate performance/luxury car to super high end megabucks performance cars (they go up to 20 inches).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back