Hyundai PSF-3 Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT and the recommended power steering fluid is Hyundai PSF-3. When I consulted multiple dealers in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area, none have a clue of what Im talking about. None of the dealers gave me any alternative options because they don't know what to do or know what Im talking about. Someone please help me on this because Im really interested in doing a Power Steeering Fluid Change and I will use generic PSF if it really works on the 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT! If anyone know where to get Hyundai PSF-3 Fluid in the DFW area, please tell me the source and the price for the fluid. Thanks everyone !

i think sp 111 is licensed hyundai transmission fluid and psf-3 is their own made up brand too. they have not released the licensing yet so who knows where you might find it. If you are out of warranty i would say that you can safely use amsoil transmission fluid. I bet redline would be fine too. here is a discussion of how screwed up hyundai is.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t29694-power-steering-fluid-point-of-interest.htm

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
The cars are delivered with ATF specificly SPIII in the PS system. You can buy a quart of multi-vehicle ATF that specs SPIII and use it or a quart of SPIII at any Kia/Hyundai/Mitsubishi dealership. I've used SPIII and/or Amsoil ATF in my PS system for the last 70k miles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1622354&page=1

from what i understand what you have said is incorrect.His vehicles was delivered with psf III not spIII . I am sure you can use it but it could void hyundai's 100000 mile warranty. power steering systems are not too picky about fluids , but just to be sure i would stick with manufacturer recommended fluids or a good synthetic..

I have had 4 hyundai/kia's since 01 they all had ATF in the PS system. Rebottle it and call it what you like but it has been ATF. The 100k mile warranty only covers the engine and transmission read your warranty.

You think PSF-III is bad, try Hyundai's PSF-4! That's what my 2008 Santa Fe specs. I have seen many confirmations that any "suitable for use" SP-III Hyundai ATF can be used in place of PSF-III. Supposedly PSF-4 is another animal. You can't use SP-III in them.

Joel

Last edited:
My Kia PSF3 is flushed with Pentosin CHF11S.
PSF3 is nothing special, and not even available for purchase at the dealer. They'll use bulk PSF or ATF!

PSF4 is the synth blend version. Blown seals and hoses are nothing new with Kia/Hyundai power steering systems using PSF3.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

PSF4 is the synth blend version. Blown seals and hoses are nothing new with Kia/Hyundai power steering systems using PSF3.

Good to know! Thank you Sir.

I posted this in a KIA Forum but wanted to share here in the hope to help you make an informed decision.

Hi, I am just reporting here my experience with my '06 Kia Spectra SX. I've finally hit the 40K mark and about time to do an engine coolant change I decided to inspect the quality and color of the power steering fluid. The fluid had some contamination and it was browning already, but I kind of expected that because I'm a bit of an aggressive driver :p So like all of you I check on my manual and online and I see this PSF-3 fluid that no one (neither my KIA dealership parts department) sell. The only reference online I found for a suitable replacement fluid that explicitly say is approved for PSF 3 application is the Motul Multi ATF. However these lubricants are not sold anywhere near where I live and to get it online is about $11 + about $6-8 for shipping. So I started looking for similar Multi ATF's and found Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Multi-ATF at my local AutoZone for 7.99 a quart. This fluid is specified for SPIII application just as the Motul fluid does, so I assume this is just a KIA/Hyundai approval thing only. I looked online and compared the properties of these fluids and found that they are very similar and if anything Mobil is a bit more viscous (in my mind I like that, more protection I guess lol) Here are the data comparisons:

Motul Multi-ATF
Density at 20 degrees C 0.846
Viscosity at 100 degrees C (212 degrees F)8.5 mm 2/s
Viscosity at 40 degrees C (104 degrees F) 37.5 mm 2/S
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 214
Flash Point ASTM D92 208degrees C/406 degrees F

Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF
Viscosity
cSt @ 40ºC 34.1
cSt @ 100ºC 7.42
Viscosity Index 193
Flash Point, ºC (ºF) 180 (356)
Gravity, API 34.7
Color Red

I did purchase the Mobil 1 Multi-ATF Fluid and did a partial flush. I siphoned the old fluid from the reservoir with a clear tube and made sure to try to get as much contaminant trapped by the filter. I then refilled with fresh fluid and since I had my car up in jackstands for a coolant change I turned the steering wheel a bunch of times :p Lastly I redid the whole procedure and this time the fluid came out clear red and free of contaminants (yay!) I used about half quart and I can definitely feel a smoother, quieter steering. I swear is not placebo effect :rolleyes:. My KIA dealer parts guy told me to use regular power steering fluid, but I was reluctant to bring home a 3 dollar Prestone PSF from walmart because I just like to put full synthetic stuff in my car. I will for sure repost something as I drive more miles if i find improvement or not (hopefully not).

I find that any synthetic ATF seems to work in all situations. The only vehicles I have not seen people use synthetic ATF in is modern Honda's calling for their spec. P/S fluid.I just have not had much contact with Honda owners in a while so I am not up on them. I know though that GM,Dodge,Toyota,Mitsubishi and BMW's all seem to do just fine on synthetic atf.

The manual for our daughter's '08 Sonata says to simply use "power steering fluid" in the PS system. I suspect any decent ATF or conventional PS fluid would be fine.

Hyundai is also very vague about coolants, saying only to use one which protects various metals against corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back