Oil recommendation for 98 GMC Jimmy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy with 4.3L V6 engine, 119k miles. I just completed an auto-rx rinse phase, changed the oil and started another auto-rx treatment due to the fact that I have decided to keep this vehicle rather than sell it. I purchased it when it had 114k miles, and it was a one-owner vehicle.

My driving habits will be 6 miles to work (normally three, but this has changed until December 2010 while a bridge is being renovated), home for lunch, back to work, then home. Occassional driving around town on the weekends. In six months, I should be very well under 4k miles. Debating between using SuperTech 5w/30 sythetic with 6 month OCI's or Pennzoil Platinum 5w/30 and one year OCI's. With short distance, sub-zero temp driving, will these oils hold up o.k.?

I'll put on my flame suit in advance, but under your described conditions I really doubt that you're even at a 50 weight when you turn off the key. I (and that's ME) would go down a grade. Your oil never gets warmed. It may warm enough to take care of moisture, but it never warms to 100C/212F.

I would probably go with the 6 month and the SuperTech. If you wanted to, you could then go to a 5w-30 for the summer OCI. I still don't think it would be necessary.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I'll put on my flame suit in advance, but under your described conditions I really doubt that you're even at a 50 weight when you turn off the key. I (and that's ME) would go down a grade. Your oil never gets warmed. It may warm enough to take care of moisture, but it never warms to 100C/212F.

I would probably go with the 6 month and the SuperTech. If you wanted to, you could then go to a 5w-30 for the summer OCI. I still don't think it would be necessary.

What Gary said.

5w30 PP@6month its only 3$ more than supertech for 5qt

or you could get some castrol edge 5w30 its still on sale 5qt+filter for 25$ with a 15mail in rebate available = 10$

I would stick to the 6 mo. oci's & use PP 5w30 in the cold months, & 10w30 dino of your choice in the warm months. My 4.3 ran great on Rotella 10w30. Use ARX maint dose each oci, if you have it on hand. Move to the HM oils if your truck exhibits the need for them.....JMO.....jr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back