911 (997) Turbo Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any suggestions? I have been looking all over for the Porsche approved oil list.

Factory fill is M1 0W-40. I use GC in my other cars, but Porsche specs a 40W. My 95 M3 loved the Lubro Moly 5W-40, so I may give that a go.

Thanks.

M1 0w-40 would be my pick, honestly

I definitely don't know all the available options, though. I'm also interested to see the list.

Isn't the list available from the dealership? It should be.

Hi,
ssj4 - If you PM me your email address I will send you a recent Approved List along with your MY

Note that M1 0W-40 is heavily favoured in Germany. I spoke with many Owners & Racers recently at the Nurburgring and at Zuffenhausen and it had universal acceptance as the best for the job. This was especially so with Owners of Turbo versions including this MY

Thanks Doug, i will PM you.

Oliver, not trying to mess around. The M1 0W-40 from what I understand, shears out of grade. My 95 M3 liked the 5W-40 better, even though the dealer spec was Castrol BMW 5W-30 - burned oil on this, and even the Ow-40.

The 5W-40 didn't burn at all, and had the best UOA of the three. That being said, this is a different application, so M1 may be just fine.

Hi,
ssj4 - You said this:
"The M1 0W-40 from what I understand, shears out of grade."

Porsche's Approval processes include extended duration (over ACEA protocols) viscosity sequences at both 150C and at 100C. As well and importantly, duration testing for air retention is a vital part. There are a number of other sequences too!

Mobil 1 0w-40 in the US is not the same as that found in Germany.

US version - There is no VW 503.01 approval and states "Porsche approval list 2002" (from when it was SL rated).

German version - has the VW 503.01 rating and states "Porsche Approved" and has same viscosity specs as the older SL version.

If you go to a MB dealer, some stock Mobil 1 5w-50 which is on the approved list.

Last edited:
If you want to stay with the approved list, then your options are limited. If not, you have tons of good options. On my boxster S, Redline 5W40 made a big difference in how fast car cranked over when starting, noise reduction, and revved more freely. i also like the polar ester base stock, shear stability, high anti-wear additives of the redline over M1 0W40. But if you want to stick with what is on the list, your options are limited.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Mobil 1 0w-40 in the US is not the same as that found in Germany.

US version - There is no VW 503.01 approval and states "Porsche approval list 2002" (from when it was SL rated).

German version - has the VW 503.01 rating and states "Porsche Approved" and has same viscosity specs as the older SL version.

Mobil produces 2 different 0w-40 weight oils?

So if someone buys a 2009 911 Turbo the factory fill is German Mobil 1 0w-40?
Then if they replace it with Mobil 1 0w-40 from the U.S. market they are NOT putting in the same oil?

Are any of the highest end Motul oils, which likely have high ester content, on the Porsche approved list?

I just checked the German Exxon-Mobil site and their current 0w-40 Mobil 1 for gas engines is VW 502 and 505 approved, no mention of 503.01. My current stock of new US Mobil 1 0W-40 also shows VW 502 and 505, but no 503.01. My old stock of US Mobil 1 0w-40 shows VW 502, 505, and also 503.01. Could it be that VW spec 503.01 is outdated or superceded by the current 505 spec?

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Are any of the highest end Motul oils, which likely have high ester content, on the Porsche approved list?

X-Cess 5w-40 is approved for the Cayenne as of 2002, but that's about it. I wouldn't use it over M1 0w-40.

There is X-Clean 5w-40 overseas, but that looks like one of those BMW LL-04/VW 50x.01 oils that aren't the best choice for gasoline engines where fuel contains ethanol.

Originally Posted By: Roy Gutfinski
I just checked the German Exxon-Mobil site and their current 0w-40 Mobil 1 for gas engines is VW 502 and 505 approved, no mention of 503.01. My current stock of new US Mobil 1 0W-40 also shows VW 502 and 505, but no 503.01. My old stock of US Mobil 1 0w-40 shows VW 502, 505, and also 503.01. Could it be that VW spec 503.01 is outdated or superceded by the current 505 spec?

Mobil uses the same PDS for the foreign sites as they do in the US. They are just trying to cover up the fact that there are two versions of the 0w-40. Last time I saw the Porsche approval list was about a year ago when Doug Hillary sent me a copy and they only listed one version of Mobil 1 0w-40. Therefore, I do not believe Porsche is aware that there are two versions, since they list each version of Castrol's 5w-40's that exist all over the world.

Doug Hillary also sent me a copy of the PDS from down under and their SM version is the same as our older SL version, which states "Porsche Approved" and has VW 503.01.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Mobil produces 2 different 0w-40 weight oils?

So if someone buys a 2009 911 Turbo the factory fill is German Mobil 1 0w-40?
Then if they replace it with Mobil 1 0w-40 from the U.S. market they are NOT putting in the same oil?

That is correct. Not only is it not the same, it hasn't been tested for Porsche approval since 2002.

Hi,
glxpassat - The link you provided has the same specification and Manufacturer Approvals as the 5ltr container I have in front of me here in OZ!

Note that for the 2007-2010 Approval period Porsche Listed 6 M1 0W-40 products with World wide (WW) availability. At least 5 still have currency

When in Germany recently - and at Porsche Zentrum (Dealership)in Zuffenhausen, opposite the Musuem & Factory gates, I picked up a M1 0W-40 container with "Tri-Synthetic" on the label. It had the same Manufacturer Approvals and API, ACEA specs. as noted above

Over several years I have noted around 18 different M1 0W-40 "Labels" variously available

Of course API, ACEA and most Manufacturer Approvals allow for formulation variations within established parameters!

Doug, the link above is found in Canada and those specs are different than what are found in the US. We lost the VW 503.01 rating and also get "Porsche approval list 2002" rather than "Porsche approved".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back