massive oil usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a KW T-600 with a cummins 475 isx that i had planed on pulling in this winter to inframe the problem is in the last month its gone from a gallon in 5,000miles to a gallon in 2000 miles i need to bank about another months work to have enough saved up to inframe now. not sure it will make it!

A mechanic told me, mobile delvac and chev delo burn off faster than rotella, any truth to this ? I plan changing oil soon and adding 3 gallon of lucas to slow the hemorrhaging and try to make it another month .

892,000 blow by was 16 lbs at 1 gal in 5000 miles dunno at 1 gal in 2000 but ill bet blow by is way up above 16lbs now.

Originally Posted By: 2hellandback
A mechanic told me, mobile delvac and chev delo burn off faster than rotella, any truth to this ?
I may not be the best example, but we have a big Cummins NG engine in our standby generator at work and I've found the opposite to be true. This motor used more Rotella and switching to Delvac and Valvoline Premium Blue slowed consumption noticeably. FWIW, Valvoline Premium Blue is what Cummins' uses as their private-label oil, at least in the 15W-40 flavour.

Last edited:
2hellandback, I have a good idea that will probably get you the month you need. Order two gallons of LC20 add both gallons the day you get them to the crank case. It is some seriously good stuff it is almost a synthetic but it has amazing cleaning and protection benifits. If you can afford it get 4 and add one gallon to each fuel tank as well it will lube and clean the top end and the piston rings like nothing you have every used or seen used on a commercial engine. AS far as top off oil goes you only have to get a month out of it before you can inframe. It is not going to be that cold in Idaho by the end a months time so consider useing SAE 50wt. or 60wt.

By drasticly cleaning from both sides from the oil and from the fuel and by lubricating it will make a drastic difference in rate of consumtion. Obviously thicker oil will make a drastic change as well.

The Lube Control 20 is not a solvent it has been around since about the 1950's and it has a viscosity around a 50. It is a clear liquid.I have seen it turn commercial engines that everyone though where ontheir last leg completely around as long as the problem was basic deposits screwing up the ring sealing and the gaskets sealing it is not going to undo a mechanical problem. I have also seen it used as a band aid to get a vehicle through the season so it could be serviced.

I have used it on all kinds of family vehicles and a few tractors with great results.A lot of people on this sight talk about Auto-Rx but me I am more impressed with Lube Control 20. When you order it if you decide to get 4 which I would highly recomend make sure you all Lubecontrol 20's not their Fuel Power product. FOr a engine as far gone as yours you need the extra lubricity and additives int he LubeControl 20 the fuel power is more for daily use on your daily driver the LC20 is going to be used to shock clean everything that either comes into contact with the oil or the fuel.

Just curious.......How is the air filtration on this engine?

I don't see a problem with the Lucas at this point. Have you checked the intake for oil from the turbo? Maybe thats where alot of the oil is going?

Cummins goes by gallons of oil used to gallons of fuel burned. I have heard worse than 16" of blow by.

As much as im NOT a fan of Lucas just dump two gallons in it and run the month you need.

You would be Money ahead to just get a Cummins master kit for your engine. Some of the other parts i have seen from fairly reliable vendors looks no better that the worst chineese junk i have seen.

before you cut your wrists, whats the restriction gauge reading on your air filters? what's the inside of the intercooler piping look like post turbo pre intercooler.

I have seen ISX Cummins motors that have gone another 100,000 miles with so much blow by they looked like a steam train bleeding off the boiler at idle.

It is weird how some of those ISX engines wear, we have one at work in a Pete with over 700,000 miles and it doesnt burn any oil at all between oil changes. It has been pulling heavy all its life, 136,000lbs gross every load. The only problem they have with it is the EGR valve needing replaced a couple times a year.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I would contct salesrep, a sponsor here, and get some Schaeffer's #132 to add to the crankcase.

I got some extra hang'n around too.

I just have been out of the industry too long I have run 8V- 71 engines that use/lose a gallon from San Francisco to Los Angles and Cummins that use a gallon from San Francisco to New York!! How does the engine run?

Originally Posted By: Dualie
the best part was with the Detroit none of that oil ever got burned. it was DD's revolutionary under vehicle corrosion protection system.
Green leaker!!!
lol.gif

I had a dream one night (long ago). A DD pulled up and parked, the driver got out. I asked him if I could help him. He said, "No, I'm just oiling the chassis".

Alright, the DD part I made up ..but I did have that dream.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back