ACDelco PF47 and STP 3387A - The same now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were the exact same filter tonight at AutoZone. I was apprehensive about getting the STP style, so I searched the shelves and found an older style PF47. The older style PF47 is slightly longer and heavier feeling than the STP 3387A style, and I've always used that style before, which added to my apprehension of getting the newer style. Am I being scared for no reason?

Back when I could find them, the AC 1177 had half again more media as an STP 3950 and other similar priced filters. Looking forward to seeing if the STP I have on my truck is a good as they used to be.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
I use the PF52/PH 3980.

Yeah, if you have room for it go oversized. I'm using the PF52 on my mom's 3.1 right now. I'd use it on the Daewoo too but it makes it hang lower and I didn't want to risk any kind of road debris hitting it. On the Malibu though it's a horizontal mount so I'm not worried about that.

Have you guys determined if the e-core is safe or not?
I'm pretty sure the new PF47 is an e-core filter now.

As far as facts go, not much to condemn the Ecore. It is new, different, and gasp, arrugh doesn't have steel end caps. I would be very happy to identify an Ecore with 20mm 1.5 thread and a bypass. I would much rather run one of them than the metal to metal dome end bypass junk I have been for the last year.

I did a bit of car part shopping today for various reasons. At Wal-Mart the PF-52 was now a Champion Ecore filter. AC PF-52 was $1.17 more than the ST identical Ecore filter. I bought the ST of course. Used the STs many times. Never a problem. Despite all the anti Ecore visual assessments it seems to be a good design to me. I have sure used worse with my horizontal placement and start up rattle. Never a rattle with an Ecore. $2.50 for the ST Ecore.

STP, AC Delco, and Supertech are all E-Core in the PF-47/PF-52 size. I've run them a few times now with no problems. I've had to use pliers to rip the end camps off.

FWIW, the cold start knock that our Blazer has always had, is greatly reduced using an E-Core filter, especially when it's very cold out. Leads me to believe they flow better with such an unrestricted internal cage instead of a metal tube with tiny holes.

What I want to know if the ST's media is on par or superior with AcDelcos. Since they are both Ecore filters now.

No point in spending 4 bucks on a ACD if the ST is near identical or is the exact same filter and is priced at 2.50.

Same thing with fram, AcDelco needs to be re-priced to the quality it is. It uses cheaper materials.

I AM NOT saying Ecores are bad. I am just saying that we shouldn't pay more for a cheap material filter.

The media is a bit different and there is more of it from what I've seen. The STP/AC Delcos are identical; the Supertechs have less pleats in the media and it looks a bit different.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
The media is a bit different and there is more of it from what I've seen. The STP/AC Delcos are identical; the Supertechs have less pleats in the media and it looks a bit different.

so it probably is worth the extra dollar then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back