New mountain bike pedals, which type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I broke a stock pedal today powering up a hill. Stock pedals are cheap plastic, I'm surprised they have lasted this long.

My big debate is do I go with the clip type that require a special shoe or a regular platform pedal? If it were just on-road I would go with the clip style but I'm nervous using them for mountain biking. In fact, I just watched a friend go down in slow motion because he couldn't get his foot out of the pedal quick enough. The extra power would be nice on the upstroke but I don't want to compromise safety.

I was looking at these for a platform pedal... http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/19739-2...form-Pedals.htm

Not sure where to start for the other type.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty lost.I have a big ride tomorrow so in the meantime I'll likely get a set of the cheapest set the LBS has.

Way back when I had a Redline BMX,it had some titanium pedals on it. Sun Tour I think. Those things took a helluva beating!!!!!

I'm worried, maybe chicken that I'll go down and not be able to get my foot out of the pedal quick enough to catch myself. The new classic style platform pedals have some nice spikes in them for traction. But it would be nice to be able to pull up on the pedal too for more power.

Hey Buick,have you ever had your foot slip off the pedal while you`re really putting some power down and had the cranks freewheel backwards and get your shin? Man that is painfull!!!!!!!!!!! I have a ton of battlescars from my old biking days!!!!!!!

Last edited:
oh man...if you're thinking that BMX pedals are going to be safer while mountain biking, I'm going to have to post some bloody shin pictures. Please, don't make me do that!

There's a reason that guys who run platforms almost always wear shin guards.

The mid-level Shimano pedals (540's or better) have adjustable release tension, and they seem much better made than some of the knock-offs (wellgo, etc). I've NEVER had a problem releasing, which I can't say for Time's. They aren't exciting, but they work.

Ultimately though, I feel a lot more confident clicked in than with a platform pedal. If you need to get out in a hurry, you'll be able to do so.

If you're doing cross country mountain biking, clipless rock. Once you go clipless you'll never go back. Downhill/freeride/BMX guys like platforms. I run Time's. Crank Bros are also good.

Last edited:
I'm storing my friend's Specialized Epic at my house until he gets back from LA. It just dawned on me to give it a try. I had to squeeze into his size 10s with my size 13s. It meant going sockless so he will love that lol.

I REALLY like this style of pedal. It takes me a minute to get into them but it's like they know when I want out. I can pull up real hard and overpower them if standing still but once the crank is turning I can't pull out.

Besides the advantage of not slipping off, is the ability to pull up and not just push down a big advantage? It seems like I can accelerate much quicker without standing. My cardio gives out much quicker too so I'm assuming there is a lot more energy being used.

The Shimano 540s are what I'm looking at. Only $40 but the shoes I've heard can be upwards of $90. I need something tomorrow, don't have the money for another 2 weeks for the pedals plus shoes. I guess I can get the cheapest set of platforms in the meantime.

Do they make some sort of a platform "pedal" that can clip into this style of pedal if I feel like riding in my regular shoes?

I tried a rat trap style that came with the pedals I bought. I went for a ride in the woods and fell in a couple of spots, small falls. Could not get my foot out in time to prevent a fall.

That being said I took them off for the next ride I do in the woods. I use clipless pedals for my rode bike by the way.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Way back when I had a Redline BMX,it had some titanium pedals on it. Sun Tour I think. Those things took a helluva beating!!!!!

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 40 and I remember this well. Redlines were rare in Canada, but one of my friends had one. My other friend had a GT BMX bike, and I had a factory Kuwahara.

I had the suntour pedals like this one too on my BMX bike and it's what I chose for my mountain bike as well.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Besides the advantage of not slipping off, is the ability to pull up and not just push down a big advantage? It seems like I can accelerate much quicker without standing. My cardio gives out much quicker too so I'm assuming there is a lot more energy being used.

Depending on your pedaling style, you might get some power in the upstroke. What might be more important is that you can get a smoother pedal stroke around the whole circle and therefor be more efficient overall.

Do they make some sort of a platform "pedal" that can clip into this style of pedal if I feel like riding in my regular shoes?

Yep, Shimano, Time, and Crank Bros all make versions that can either be used with street shoes or clipped in with clipless shoes. The only downside is that they're usually a little heavier.

beer3.gif

I got some $20 Giant metal pedals so I can ride for the next week or two. They look so much better than the plastic pedals that came on the bike. I went for the cheapest the LBS had to offer. I've made up my mind to go with the M545 as a dual purpose pedal. I was a little worried that as a dual purpose it would do neither very well but after reading about 100 reviews the only consistent downside seems to be weight.

My $500 entry level mountain bike is barely recognizable with all the mods to it over the past year. Next year as I get better I may go with a full suspension frame and transfer components over to it.

I got some $20 Giant metal pedals so I can ride for the next week or two. They look so much better than the plastic pedals that came on the bike. I went for the cheapest the LBS had to offer. I've made up my mind to go with the M545 as a dual purpose pedal. I was a little worried that as a dual purpose it would do neither very well but after reading about 100 reviews the only consistent downside seems to be weight.

My $500 entry level mountain bike is barely recognizable with all the mods to it over the past year. Next year as I get better I may go with a full suspension frame and transfer components over to it.

The M545's should work great for you. Shimano pedals tend to be durable and reliable. Now just save up for a decent pair of clipless shoes and you're good to go. Money dumped into a bicycle is money well spent IMHO :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry I didn't start sooner and I've only been riding for a little over a year. This sport is becoming addicting. My cardio is finally good enough that I can enjoy myself without feeling like I'm dying the whole time and the skill level is slowly going up to where it's getting fun. Took my friend's clipless bike up some hills and there's such an advantage with the clipless. Like I mentioned earlier, my cardio gives out sooner but that is easy enough to overcome. Believe it or not, I've had so much fun starting with an entry level $500 bike and adding $1,500 (retail) worth of components. Most people think I'm crazy for doing it this way but the learning experience is invaluable for a beginner.

I have some permanent nerve damage in my back due to a mountain biking accident some years ago. I had just started using clipless pedals, and couldn't get my foot out in time before a fall. I fell butt-first onto a big rock. It hurt so bad, I thought I had fractured my pelvis. Luckily, nothing was broken, but the bruise it left still makes me a little sick when I think about it.

I still use clipless pedals. I have Time ATACs on the MTB, and Crank Brothers Quattros on the road bike.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I have some permanent nerve damage in my back due to a mountain biking accident some years ago. I had just started using clipless pedals, and couldn't get my foot out in time before a fall. I fell butt-first onto a big rock. It hurt so bad, I thought I had fractured my pelvis. Luckily, nothing was broken, but the bruise it left still makes me a little sick when I think about it.

I still use clipless pedals. I have Time ATACs on the MTB, and Crank Brothers Quattros on the road bike.

That's my biggest fear. Riding my friend's bike, I could jerk my foot out quickly if needed without twisting. That's one reason I think the extra money for the adjustable spring tension pedals is money well spent. Also why I'm going with the 2 in 1 platform and clipless. I'm terrified of going down on a rock while attached to the bike.

Did you go right back to clipless or did you start over with platform for a while?

I stayed with clipless. If nothing else, I was committed.

If you go clipless, put a very small (think pea-sized) dab of grease on each shoe's cleat. It works wonders, and you only need to use a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back