Benchmark Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gigabit ethernet 10/100/1000 in all involved computers, all cat6 cables (or at least cat5e) and a gigabit switch feeding your computers with gigabit.

Got all that?

Also your hard drive has to be new, internal (or esata), or firewire. No-name brand externals can have slow hard drives inside and inferior chipsets in them. Even name brands. Also try disabling any firewall software you have running.

That's about 20mb/sec (160mbits/sec). I suspect the network isn't the bottleneck. It's probably a single hard disk on one of the ends of the transaction. Unless the disks on the sending and receiving machine are VERY new, that's probably about the limit of what most consumer drives can do for sustained reads/writes in spite of what you might see on the spec sheets.

On a cheapo SOHO gigabit ethernet switch and a pair of computers that are 2-3 years old (but with lots of RAM), I'm able to push about 750mb/sec from point A to point B if the data is cached on the sending end. The rest is eaten up by TCP/IP overhead and gremlins.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Gigabit ethernet 10/100/1000 in all involved computers, all cat6 cables (or at least cat5e) and a gigabit switch feeding your computers with gigabit.

Got all that?

Also your hard drive has to be new, internal (or esata), or firewire. No-name brand externals can have slow hard drives inside and inferior chipsets in them. Even name brands. Also try disabling any firewall software you have running.

Yup, got all that. I'm thinking that FamilyGuy is right, the problem lies in one of the disks. Hence the request for benchmark program that will tell me where the problem lies.....

Originally Posted By: brandini
750megaBITS a second right?

That's what the lower-case "b" indicates.....

Have you enabled jumboframes? With standard 1500byte MTU you are eating up alot of bandwidth and computer power shoveling out data packets by the metric mega ton.

Originally Posted By: Mike Thompson
My transfer speeds are dog slow, it takes 34 min. to transfer a BD iso (42GB) over my gigabit network.

I can push over 70mb/s between fast client and server over our LAN. But for the typical system, anything over 25mb/s is respectable. You're not off by that much. As others have said, the local HW can bottleneck things.

how fast is the blueray drive?

is this an iso file or what?

I'm thinking 20MB/sec might be ok for a Blue ray disk

if its an iso.. then you should be maxing out at 70-80MB/sec

I get anywhere from 50-82MB between 2 new computers with raid arrays that do over 200MB/sec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back