ARX & Aluminum Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Varnish is a cosmetic issue and does nothing to performance level.

That statement about varnish being a cosmetic issue and having nothing to do with the performance level is a statement from arx.
That is not my statement.

I think that comment was made in relation to areas where people were removing valve and rocker covers an noting removal of sludge but on the walls and non contact surfaces varnish was not significantly affected in the short term with the ARx application.
In these areas varnish is merely cosmetic. Where you do have close clearances of moving parts varnish can be a major problem.

We have also seen engines which have had significant sludge in these (non contact) areas with varnish buildup on parts of the contacting surfaces as well, and have seen cleaning of this varnish-like material on these sliding and rolling surfaces with the application of the product.

Aluminum varies a good bit in how porous it can be. It's always a YMMV situation
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Why not just use something that removes sludge, varnish, and cleans aluminum?

I know of nothing else that does that as safely by putting the removal products in colloidal suspension while the engine is running for those with a prior history of neglect. I see little compelling reason to use the product in most engines with less than 50,000 mi.

ADFD1 I take it yoyu were joking, at least I hope so as the product listed in the link was for removal of varnish FROM WOOD! So you either didn't read it or you want usto believe you would add that to your engine oil. Which is it?

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Originally Posted By: sprintman
There's an idiot born every minute, and you just proved it. Have another try... but please something a little more factual.

Why the name calling? The man named a product that can remove varnish, isn't that what this board is all about? He is suggesting a product that works based on his experiences. I've read many of his posts and it appears the man knows his way around an engine bay!

The man named a product that is used on wood. :)

I'm almost 100% sure that was put up as ...well...not an outright joke ..but more in line with "mockery".

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I'm almost 100% sure that was put up as ...well...not an outright joke ..but more in line with "mockery".

I agree with Gary on the "mockery statement" and that should not be tolerated, this is the Oil Additive Section, not the Humor Section.

Bingo, as usual fundamentalists (be they religious, communist or ARX) have no sense of humor.

On a more serious note, for much less than the cost of a single ARX treatment cycle, you can do a 3000mi OCI with synthetic and 20% MMO/Rislone, which should remove plenty sludge and varnish without excess harshness.

Anyone stupid enough to put something that was specially formulated for "antiques and fine furniture" (or even printing presses), into their engine can't be helped.

MMO is lubricating oils and a bare sliver (sub 1%) of dichlorobeneze which is a good EP lubricatant and vapor phase degreaser. The rest of it is light lubricating oil and solvents. MMO is mostly harmless and it doesn't cause problems with dry starts.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22

Bingo, as usual fundamentalists (be they religious, communist or ARX) have no sense of humor.

On a more serious note, for much less than the cost of a single ARX treatment cycle, you can do a 3000mi OCI with synthetic and 20% MMO/Rislone, which should remove plenty sludge and varnish without excess harshness.

Yeah, but why in the world would you take a perfectly good synthetic oil ...billions in former R&D dollars to get it to the state of the art (at some state of the art) that is highly advanced for all the benefits .....and throw a cheap solvent in with it and use it for 3000 miles?

Sure, you can do that ..and all the other home brewed techniques and manage just fine. Again, keep in mind that when most of these products served the most need when cars had routine consumption due to fuel management related normal wear and machining practices ..and we were miles ahead of the Brits. That is, the operational variable and the baseline insult to the engine made most of these agents negligible in potential harm or (otherwise) alteration of the typical life span of the engine. In terms of my earlier reference to (something like) a doctor not allowing you the easy way out of a risky behavior, in the case of these agents, when they indeed produced apparent benefits, it's like Newman and Redford as they're about to jump off of the cliff into the stream below. Redford says, "I can't swim". Newman replies, "You "darn" fool! The fall will probably kill you!"

That is, an engine's "death" was an assured thing for the most part. Anything you did to it could produce benefits ..but would be hard pressed to do any more harm than just operating it.

Very agressive solvents, not what engine seals like.

MMO has been tested and is harmless to engine seals. IIRC it is in their FAQ section, or a phone call to their tech person will reveal the answer.

No thanks. Have a look at whats in MMO, not what I want in my engine. I gathered your post was humorous but ADFD1 has some explaing to do.

Explain what?

Got it now, I should re-read these threads. I was upset by the word Idiot, and went off on that. My bad, late night early mornings oh well. Carry on!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Very agressive solvents, not what engine seals like.

MMO has been tested and is harmless to engine seals. IIRC it is in their FAQ section, or a phone call to their tech person will reveal the answer.

My moms car only started leaking after I used MMO in it.

Not Demarpaint, but I replied in the other thread. Sometimes it is dirt that is keeping an engine from leaking. MMO is safe for seals and gaskets. You can visit their board they covered it there. You can try a HM oil now that everything is probably nice and clean. Could also be a coincidence. HTH

The engine had been run on synthetic blend its whole life, and had an Auto RX clean and rinse done on it. You'd think it would have started leaking then, not after the use of MMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back