need oil recommendation Yamaha enduro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I just picked up a '94 Yamaha xt350. The manual recomends 10w30 or 20w40 oil. 10w30 is a car oil and I've never heard of 20w40. I use 10w40 in my Goldwing and 20w50 in my Harley (both amsoil). I was thinking to go 10w40 because its a [censored] bike but then thought 20w50 because its aircooled. Any ideas? Thank you very much.

Rotella T 15W40 dino. I presently run it in my KLR650, Valkyrie, and two Suzuki liquid cooled ATV engines. I had used it for many years in two 20+ year old, air cooled ATV engines. I've since sold the old machines but they're still running strong. Rotella will do just fine and it's inexpensive.

Delvac too, especially with the BOGO offers and rebate. I scored 4 gallons today for $12.00! Thats .75 cents a quart!

Rotella, Delvac, Delo which ever is on sale. I like Rotella a lil more.

Last edited:
20/40 is a weight of Yamaha Oil that was made until last year. I have an 86 yamaha venture with a 1300 v4 which calls for that weight only. I use Rotella or Delvac depending on which is cheaper in 15/40 weight. I use 15/40 in alot of different motors. Have had no issues at all. I change oil every 4000 miles on my bike and yes I do run it like a jackrabbit. Any 15/40 should work well and will hold up fine.

If your going to be running it this winter up here in Wisconsin get yourself some Shell Rotella 5-40. Just use it year round. It only holds 1.5 quarts more or less. Really any brand diesel motor oil will work just fine. The thinner stuff just helps the kick starter work better. LOL

I had a Yamaha XT350 and I ran Pennzoil Longlife 15w40 in it with no problems. I only ran that because thats what we had in the truck garage in drums. Any 15w40 would be fine. I wouldnt worry about thinner weights than that. You wont be running a motorcycle in cold weather for one and really how far does the oil circulate to worry about dry starts, a couple inchs. Ive run the 15w40 in alot of two stroke gearboxs and clutch slippage was never a problem. I currently have a KLR650 and run 15w40 in it, I have 7000 miles and no problems. But I could probably run cooking oil in that engine and it would hold together, thats a pretty stout motor.

+1 on the Rotella

The 15w40 will be good down to 30 degrees (according to MY manual) and good up to 95 degrees. So, 20w50 will only benefit you 95 and above.

Btw, Yamaha quit making 10w30 and 20w40 a few years back and now only makes 10w40 and 20w50 in the dinosaur type. My bike is air-cooled as well so the same charts that work with my bike will work with your bike as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back