Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Thought you all might want to know that the second K&N oil filter, HP-2004, now I tested it three times cleaning the element with kerosene between and it's filtering as good or better than the M1, and almost as good as the PureOne every time. I think something was leaking in the first one I tested. Maybe a tear in the paper.
I'll post pictures when my wife gets back in town with the good camera.

Rob

you think the kero is aiding in filtration somehow? cant see the k&n doing as good as the M1?

Why can't you see the K&N filtering as well as the M1?

well from what i understand it's not suppose to,the M1 is a extended use filter the k&n is not,k&n is for better/higher flowing apps less filtration.

Rob my UPF show up yet?

well from what i understand it's not suppose to,the M1 is a extended use filter the k&n is not,k&n is for better/higher flowing apps less filtration.

That's what I thought--and maybe that was the idea and design when they started out?
The Betas the guy at K&N sent me were really good though.

Rob my UPF show up yet?

Just today--thanks again for the contibution. Looks like an M1 baseplate. Seems really well built.
You want it tested up against a PureOne?

That's what I thought--and maybe that was the idea and design when they started out?
The Betas the guy at K&N sent me were really good though.

Rob my UPF show up yet?

Just today--thanks again for the contibution. Looks like an M1 baseplate. Seems really well built.
You want it tested up against a PureOne?

yea looks like it, there pretty good built filters,just test it up Rob then compaire to the others,keep records of your work.

It's made by Champ Labs. That would be a good reason for it to appear to share something with the M1 or K&N for that matter.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It's made by Champ Labs. That would be a good reason for it to appear to share something with the M1 or K&N for that matter.

Thats what i was thinking,it looks like it...

yea looks like it, there pretty good built filters,just test it up Rob then compare to the others,keep records of your work.

FYI, It has to be tested simultaneously with others since this is a side by side exam.
The oil talc mixture changes slightly in composition as each dipping retains some oil and talc in the filters. When I remix or add to the oil/talc, the comp changes a little again, so I need to run new elements at the same time, then clean all of them the same, then run them again at the same time, etc.
I try to keep all the variables the same so that when a pile of dirt keeps coming up higher or lower in one brand, I feel like I know what's going on.
I'll pick up a new P1 (the cheapest gold-standard), maybe a new standard Delco.

Rob
thumbsup2.gif

yea looks like it, there pretty good built filters,just test it up Rob then compare to the others,keep records of your work.

FYI, It has to be tested simultaneously with others since this is a side by side exam.
The oil talc mixture changes slightly in composition as each dipping retains some oil and talc in the filters. When I remix or add to the oil/talc, the comp changes a little again, so I need to run new elements at the same time, then clean all of them the same, then run them again at the same time, etc.
I try to keep all the variables the same so that when a pile of dirt keeps coming up higher or lower in one brand, I feel like I know what's going on.
I'll pick up a new P1 (the cheapest gold-standard), maybe a new standard Delco.

Rob
thumbsup2.gif

thats cool rob,whatever you need to do!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Dan, I went this morning and got the PureOne cross to a PF52 and a regular AC/Delco PF52.
However when I got home I found that the PF52 that I bought is an old Wix style rather than the Champ. Ecore. Since the old style is NLA except for old stock, do you want me to take it back and get the Ecore type PF52?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I've never seen an E-core PF52. I think you'll have to buy a ST3980 if you want the PF52 equivalent E-core.

I've never NOT seen one for two years--until today. Weird.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I've never seen an E-core PF52. I think you'll have to buy a ST3980 if you want the PF52 equivalent E-core.

I've never NOT seen one for two years--until today. Weird.
21.gif

Don't you hate it when that happens? You're 100% confident ...seen it for as far back as you can remember ...someone says "what? I don't believe that this is so." ..you say "sure, I'll go get one (or whatever) ..and the universe just makes a liar out of you (so to speak).

Wait until you're 50+. It happens more and more all the time.
grin2.gif

Not all AC's are made by Champ. Isn't the PF 52 too small in diameter to be an Ecore? I though that it was only the 3'' and up ones.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Don't you hate it when that happens? You're 100% confident ...seen it for as far back as you can remember ...someone says "what? I don't believe that this is so." ..you say "sure, I'll go get one (or whatever) ..and the universe just makes a liar out of you...

Ya. I do and it did. I just looked at the parts store on my break, He's right I was mistaken with the PF 53--I've used so many of both of these and still get the numbers crossed. All the PF52s are non-ecore up there...
33.gif
<---Me

Originally Posted By: labman
Not all AC's are made by Champ. Isn't the PF 52 too small in diameter to be an Ecore? I though that it was only the 3'' and up ones.

No the PF 53 is the same ~2.98" diameter and is an ecore. It's just about an inch and a half shorter.

Testing the UPF52, PF52, and PureOne PL24011 side by side now. All new.
I'll post all the pictures and measurements at the same time when I get results back.
For now I'll say the UPF52 has a very different media--white and extremely thick like a blanket that's been all pleated up. Interesting.

yup there's Ecores pf52,have them in my wm.

the UPF has two layers of media,looks like a coarse then a fine underneath.

UPF

yup there's Ecores pf52,have them in my wm.

OK, thanks. I thought I was going senile. Whew!

Here's an intersting aside:
Just for giggles I put a K&N HP-1002 in the mix yesterday.
Remember I was a little dissapointed in the apparent K&N filtering? Then I got a new, larger K&N and it filtered really well? Well, the results aren't "final" enough to post a good comparison yet, but I can already see that the little HP-1002 did not filter anywhere close to as well as the large K&N.
I wonder if it has different media. Guess I won't be using that HP-1002 on my truck after all....Hmmmmm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back