MiNewt x2 too bright for city streets....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried my new Nite Rider NiNewtX2, the 400 lumen version out for the first time the other night. On the local bike trail I got comments everytime I passed someone. I almost felt bad and tried to keep the lights aimed down more than normal. On the city streets even on the dim setting and aimed downward I had cars flashing their brights at me. After reading reviews of various lights, many people made it seem like 400 lumens was the absolute minimum for night riding. Either they're wrong or these things are underrated.

I tried them in the foothills where downhill speeds can easily reach 35+mph and never had a problem with outrunning them. I can't imagine needing more unless I was doing some serious downhill at night. The intensity is easily higher than normal halogen car headlights but they don't cover as wide of an area.

Now what I'm stuck with is a light that's great for trail riding but way too bright for sharing the streets with others. I don't think I will be trusting anymore reviews online.

I'm thinking of buying another light for when I'm in the city. I thought about a single MiNewt that way I would have two batteries to run for my dual lights to make up for the short run times but the intensity would be the same so I don't think that would solve any problems. Any recommendations for a light that will help you to see but not blind anyone within a 1/2 mile radius?

I've been in the market for a strong night light. This one sounds like the ticket.

Do you have one or two of these mounted on your bike?

I've got two but one should be enough for basic commuting. The largest downside is the run time of the duals. Claimed time is 1:45 on high and 3:30hr on low. I've already researched getting a larger battery which doesn't exist and a spare battery is $140 because it includes the switch and electronics.

Runtime for the single is double in both high and low. You also can't run just one light in the dual system. I do like how you can stagger the duals differently to throw the pattern that you like.

They are extremely small and light and the mounting system is super simple and quick.

I usually mount 2 lights on my bike, one for just to be seen an another to see. This lets me turn off the battery guzzler headlight when not needed. My Marwi 12watt halogen is a battery guzzler, but it does spread light evenly though. For street riding where there is lots of street lighting I just use my Planet Bike led.

Sounds like a single light system would work for you. I would just get a single headlight which I find sufficient for both street and light trail riding. Take a look into the Cygolite Pace135 (simlar to HiFlux II except produces 135 lumens), you can get that at Performance Bike usually on sale for around $70-80. I used to have the Pace135 and runtime is about 4 hours of useable light, I sold it because I needed something a bit brighter. The Niterider Minewt mini USB which is one of their entry level lights, it cost about $90. The Light and Motion Stella 120 looks like a nice quality light but a bit expensive for a light that produces 120 lumens. And one light that I'm thinking of getting myself is the the Dinotte which uses 4AA batteries and claims to produce 200 lumens, its very compact and cost about $120.

One thing I try to look for in lights is that it has a smart charger. This means it will shut off or go into trickle charge when the battery is fully charged. The Cygolite are usually don't come with smart charger unless you get the ones that come with it. Niterider ones I believe all have smart chargers now. What I do with non smart chargers is that I plug it into a lamp timer and set it to run for the hours you want like 6 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's good advise. 135 lumens sounds just right for around town driving. I would almost be afraid of a single 200 lumen light. I seriously Po'd some people yesterday without meaning to. And the ones that weren't mad were laughing.

I'll check out the links. Thanks a lot!

I wonder if you have them aimed a little too high? I do a lot of training at night on some well-traveled, downtown roads, and I wouldn't ride with less than 200 lumens. Typically I have it at 400 and I don't hassled from motorist regarding the light output.

It could be that I'm riding in the rain a lot, but I'm not brimming with confidence with 200.

I'm using the Light and Motion Seca 400, which actually seemed brighter to me than the Niterider 400. The run time is longer as well (2.5-10 hrs), but it's also a lot more expensive.

I wish I could just aim them down in the city and call it good. But with them aimed down nearly pointing at my front tire where they're useless above 10mph, there was still a glare. I had my girlfriend take my bike 1/4 mile down and turn around and ride toward me to confirm.

I know guys who use Dinotte light on the street at night. I'm not sure what models they are using, but the lights are bright enough without blinding oncoming motorists.

Personally, I use my old trusty Niterider Trail Rat when I ride my road bike at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back