Effect of viscosity on VVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 EP 15W-50 didn't seem to hurt my VTEC Accord at all, run during summer conditions, with typical use being my 25 mile each way commute.
The recent change to M1 5W-30 should have brought measurable improvement in fuel economy.
It didn't.

On mine it apparently has little to no effect. See viscosity chart.
lc8f002a.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
M1 EP 15W-50 didn't seem to hurt my VTEC Accord at all, run during summer conditions, with typical use being my 25 mile each way commute.
The recent change to M1 5W-30 should have brought measurable improvement in fuel economy.
It didn't.

Notice anything difference from the 15w-50?

There's a particular Dodge engine. Umm, can't remember exactly, but it had to have more than around 19psi and less than 70 something psi for the VVT to kick in. Don't take the numbers for facts, but it was something in that range.

I don't know much about other manufacturers, but Volvo uses a system of solenoids and phasing pulleys on the cams to change cam timing. There is also a position sensor on each cam so the ECM always knows where the cam is and can adjust to compensate. In this system, viscosity has no effect as the system will just adjust the flow through the solenoids to compensate.

However, the solenoids have been known to get plugged with garbage from hard carbon in improperly maintained engines. That's about the extent of our CVVT issues.

can I use 10w30 syn-blend trop-artic in a 3.6L Pontiac VVT that calls for 5w30???

I have some oil I need to use up and I want to use it in the g/f's car

I haven't tried anything other than 5W30 in my 06 matrix with VVTi-L. I have used GC with no perceived effect. The "lift" is oil pressure activated and kicks in at 6000 rpm.

I can't seem to find an orientation on your system, Mark. It's allegedly the same one used on the E-class V6 Mercedes. It merely says that it uses oil pressure to operate it.

Patriot features a standard 2.4-liter World Engine that produces 172-horsepower and 165 lb.-ft. of torque. This 2.4-liter World Engine has dual Variable Valve Timing (VVT) on both intake and exhaust camshafts, which helps optimize the torque curve at all speeds and produces more power, better fuel economy and smoother, quieter operation than engines without dual VVT. Dual VVT is a technology typically not available on vehicles sold in the United States in the Jeep Patriot’s price class.

For example, the variable valve timing was developed by Mercedes and was used on the V6 in the E-Class.

The electro-hydraulic dual valve timing system uses oil under pressure to adjust timing (both intake and exhaust) using cam phasing so that timing is continuously variable. There is little overlap at idle and more overlap at speed, to permit built-in exhaust gas reburning without a pump. The exhaust cam can move through 35 degrees; the intake through 40 degrees. The cams ride on tappets that come in four dozen very similar thicknesses; the tappets are automatically matched to the individual heads during assembly, eliminating the need to adjust valve lash.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

Hi,
MarkC - There are many variations on this theme. Lubricant type and viscosity play a role to a lessor or greater degree - depending on the technologies used

Should you wish to PM me I will forward you the schematics related to the Porsche M96 engine family system. You will see the role that the lubricant plays. I have much Benz data too but alas I cannot make it available

Originally Posted By: gtx510
Couldn't low oil pressure cause problems for cam phasers?

fwiw, GEMA = Mitsu 4B1
VVT is MIVEC?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_GEMA_engines

There are slight (or maybe not slight) differences in in the 2.4 GEMA as used by Mitsubishi, Hyundai, and Chrysler, each company makes their version a little differently, with somewhat different goals as far as performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back