Auto RX Skeptic turned Believer

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really something. I ask the simple question, "had you seen the pan before the treatments?" TP was talking about how clean is pan is now - so it's reasonable to ask how dirty it was before. How is that a flame?

I like you guys... but you're crazy.

This board has indeed changed a lot so I am starting to stay away from the Auto-RX discussions. If you say that Auto-RX seemed to work for you they expect some kind of proof almost like you said you had seen Bigfoot or something. They expect people to do major engine inspections before and after the Auto-RX is used. Would be a little expensive.

All I know apart from what people had said here is that after using Auto-RX an oil seal leak simply stopped on a car I used to own. This was after I had done an Auto-RX cleaning. And recently I did an Auto-RX cleaning on my Saturn Ion. To me, it sure seemed to run better after the cleaning. In fact, before I was even done with the cleaning it started to run better.

I am going to continue to use Auto-RX even though it costs some money. It is not like it costs $1000.00 a bottle. There are guys (and gals) who spend more money in a bar in one night than a bottle of Auto-RX costs. It is not exactly like buying a new car or a new house.

If Auto-RX works (and personally I think it does) than that is great! If it does not work and is a total waste of money it is not like you lost a massive amount invested in stocks or something. I would have to check the exact price of Auto-RX and it is cheaper if you buy 3 bottles but I think it is something like about $20 bucks + today. Is that worth screaming about? And if some guy decides to use Auto-RX it is his business-not mine. Hey, if Auto-RX is a complete waste that guy is feeling better!

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Subject: 92 Aerostar 3.0 V6. Miles 128,000 beginning of ARX, 141,600 end. This included two treatments and two rinses. Each run 3000 miles, but last rinse cut short at 2600 miles due to a failed oil pan seal. Had the pan seal replaced yesterday at the shop. Struck me I should have looked at the pan, so I called the shop and asked. They asked the mechanic who did the job and I heard him in the background "the pan was real clean--spotless, and so was the pickup."

No way could this be the case at 140,000 miles on a 92 engine that often saw only 3000 miles in 6 months, included a lot of short trip operation, and consumed a quart every 1000 to 1300 miles.

Here's the thing. Unless you tore the engine down before the clean and rinse, put it back together, did the c/r, then tore it down again after, with pictures posted of both before and after, it means nothing. According to the anti arx crowd anyway.

Just to add something here, of course the same thing could be said about some other products. For example, a long time ago I used to add Tufoil to my engine oil. It made me feel better sure just like using Auto-RX can make you feel better. But there is a difference. A lot of guys, and I mean a lot, have said here that they seemed to get positive results with Auto-RX. This included some actual testing of Auto-RX and mechanics and others seeing results.

I know of few other products that have received so many positive reviews at this board.

There really is no proof that it was the AutoRx, but the shop was interested enough to check out the ARX website. I sent them the weblink and told them to test it on an old sludger they have around the shop with before and after photos of covers and pan removed. Don't know if they will bother.

I am pretty suprised that everything would be that clean. It's not like I was running syn all it's life. Hey, now I did run quite a bit of Maxlife in it over the past 4 or 5 years.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Why anyone would listen to posters who have never used AutoRx is beyond me. Why certain people are trashing this fine product is also beyond me.

The change in this forum over the past few years is disheartening. I hope the crazies don't drive the few remaining knowledgeable contributors away.

I think people trash the product because it is one of the most protected products on the board, and anytime another product that cleans an engine is mentioned it is quickly jumped on. As of late there has been a change in the tide that I've noticed, a reversal of sorts. I'd really love to try A-rX but because of the way certain A-rX insiders are quick to bash other time tested well liked products I keep shying away. Myself, family and friends have success with the time tested products too, so making a change from a proven winner is tough.

There is another group of members who have tested other products and stay in PM land as well. I wish we could get back to facts and opinions and keep the product bashing in check. That way more of these products would get a fair shake. JMO

Originally Posted By: c3po

How about popping the valve cover off to see what it looks like inside the valvetrain.

Does this motor have aluminum or cast iron cylinder heads.

Ever look under the hood of one of those little beasts? Pulling the valve covers would take a lot of time.

Well, I am a strong supporter of Auto-RX but I have no issue with people checking out other products. Some people were giving MMO a trial and saying they were getting results with it and I said if MMO works maybe here is the cheap engine cleaner people have been looking for. But I got turned off with MMO when I heard it might contain some chlorinated hydrocarbons.

I am one of the oldest members of this board. I remember Bob using Neutra to clean engines. I gave it a try myself. Hey, it was cheaper than Auto-RX.

I agree that people should be open-minded when people try out various products. But if there is major evidence that a product is bad whoever is trying it needs to be informed. For example, go to the FTC website and find out who was fined by the FTC for unproven claims for various products (such as Slick50, STP, etc).

If somebody presented conclusive evidence at this board tomorrow morning that Auto-RX is a fraud I would stop using it. Nobody has presented such evidence and I have not seen the maker of Auto-RX fined by the FTC. Of course, Auto-RX might be a very small target on the radar screen of the FTC.

Personally I have seen far more testimony that Auto-RX works than that it does not. And it seemed to work for me. That is all that I know. I don't have the money for a series of engine sequence tests.

Good points Mystic, A-rX has worked for you as advertised, and sticking with it is a good idea since you're satisfied with the product. MMO has no issues with the FTC either and has 80+ years in business to have issues if there were any. It has worked well for me, and I will stick with it. Keeping an open mind always.

The whole point of this and what you've said clearly is if a product works and you're satisfied with it stick with it. My beef is the bashing, a major turn off!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: c3po
How about popping the valve cover off to see what it looks like inside the valvetrain.

sprintman, paging sprintman to the cigar room

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
This is really something. I ask the simple question. How is that a flame? I like you guys...but you're crazy.

i have your Tao of ARx printed and hanging on my wall at work, love that and i also like ARx. your knowledge of the tao is like the dragonfly that alights on my window

Thanks ADFD1. If you get good results with MMO (and hey, a bottle of it is way cheaper than Auto-RX and available at the local Wal-Mart) than keep using it no matter what anybody says. It is really nobody's business what you use in your own engine.

I don't think people should be discouraged from telling this board about some product they have found that seems to work. If people are constantly attacked nobody will mention any interesting products they have found. Although I do understand the people at this board getting tired of somebody posting about how wonderful Slick50 or some product like that is. The people here already know about Slick50.

Personally I have always thought about giving Lubegard Engine Flush a try, but I never got around to it. Some day I may give it a try because Lubegard products always impressed me.

It would be nice if we somehow could definitely find out whether products like Auto-RX work or not. We have a little testing and a lot of personal observations.

Has anyone here a member even have a before and after picture of an ARX treated motor that belongs to them?? Cause it sure didn't do anything for my motor after 3 treatments..

Originally Posted By: Rick20
When Tall Paul, Gary Allen, Molecule, and other in the know folks make posts, I take notice. How many pics do we need to see?
Add TD to the mix above and I have all the credidability I need to decipher posts that have credability and those that have not so much.

Not to blow up the heads of the previously mentioned folks, but I have alot of respect for what each of you write.

Well said.

Originally Posted By: stang5
Has anyone here a member even have a before and after picture of an ARX treated motor that belongs to them?? Cause it sure didn't do anything for my motor after 3 treatments..

It did not do anything, even after 3 treatments of arx, is your engine block made out of aluminum, are your cylinder heads made out of aluminum, please let us know.

C3po, how does an engine having aluminum block and cylinder heads affect what Auto-RX does? If there was a seal leak due to sludge on the seals Auto-RX should be able to remove the sludge and maybe stop the leak assuming there is no physical damage to the seals. And the Auto-RX should still work on rings.

Also, I believe my car has both aluminum block and aluminum cylinder head. Auto-RX seemed to make a difference.

But he needs to be more specific. Is there a seal leak that did not get fixed? Is the engine using a lot of oil? Can he see into the engine and it still appears sludged up?

I had a phone call yesterday from somebody I met who works in the auto servicing industry in sydney. He put a whole bottle in his daughters engine who lives somewhere on the Central Coast and she had just rang to say "dad what did you do to my car it goes better' He promises to keep me updated with progress. He did go to some lenths to obtain oil that had no ester or PAO content. 15W40 but I'll confirm that and brand and if the block/head is aluminium (note correct spelling).

Well, it would be interesting if one had nothing wrong and expected results. Even that brings me back to dnewton3's totally clean engine ..with 2 low compression cylinders.

As I stated in another post. Most bona fide reputable tribologists don't recommend OTC additives for a reason. Sure, they are created and sold to cope with a number of symptoms that one might encounter, but their knowledge of what's in those agents makes them discourage their use on a preemptive/preventative basis. Oils are better than they have ever been in terms of deposit control. The last thing that a blender wants you doing is second guessing the API or STLE (Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers).

Now there have been deficiencies that the market has managed to best the OEM's ..in at least some sectors. For example fuel system cleaners. OEM's don't recommend them, but in reality only want to administer themselves ..at traditional OEM pricing.

There have also be design issues or issues of "merchantability" that have belied that the OEM knows best. Toyota/Audi/VW/BMW all had issues that were due to a combination of factors. It may have been design. It may have been lack of accounting for US consumer habits. It may have been spec'ing limited distribution approved oils through a too small dealer network ..whatever. In those situations, you're going to have to use something to remedy the condition ..or just eat a big loss.

I would probably put Lube Guard products in the "good" column. While I'm sure Whitewolf would object, it's hard to deny the struggle that the trade experienced with the transitional evolutions to today. As you can see, the market has wrapped around this with many universal fluids. Now the OEM's are reasserting their distinction (Dex VI). I expect +5 any day now.
grin2.gif

But use what you please. Be happy and be free.
21.gif

Sorry, but I checked my dictionary and it is 'aluminum.' But the British is spelled with an additional 'i.' So we are both correct. There are a lot of slight spelling differences between American and British English and even some different words for the same thing. The word 'color' is spelled 'colour' in British English. A 'wrench' is a 'spanner' and stuff like that. A 'truck' is a 'lorry.'

I don't see why it would make a difference if the block was aluminum (British English 'aluminium') or not. Seems like the Auto-RX should work anyway.

I have had positive results myself with Auto-RX and so many people have said that they have had positive results that I am a believer in Auto-RX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back