Dell Vostro 220 with ATI Radeon HD3650 video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, next puzzler.

Dell Vostro 220 (6 months old) with a ATI Radeon HD 3650 video card. Computer is running Vista.

No matter what I try, or how I try it, I cannot figure out how to run multiple displays on this video card. The video card has one DVI port, one DP port, and one HDMI port.

This computer is used to drive two Epson video projectors, plus the monitor.

Do I really need a video card with two VGA outputs, so I can attach the monitor to the one output... and the video projectors to the other output (via a hub)?

How it is set up now, is that the DVI port is running through a DVI -> VGA adapter, and then to a 4 port VGA hub that feeds the monitor, plus the 2 projectors.

Or is another option to get a new monitor that I could connect to the HDMI port on the video card, and then free up the DVI port so it would be exclusively for the projectors?

I've never had such a difficult time getting dual display to work before.... but I've never been around a set up like this one before either.

Or just adapt the current monitor (I can't remember if it is VGA or DVI) to connect to the HDMI port.

Is there a cable that will do that?

XP or Vista? I suggest using the ATI Full Catylast software suite and control the monitor switching from that program. I think v9.9 is the most recent version.

Vista.

But is there any way to get it to work, the way it is set up now?

All three monitors (one monitor and two projectors) are all connected to the same DVI port on the video card.

I'd like the monitor to be "monitor #1" and the two video projectors to be "monitor #2".

Won't something need to be on a different port on the video card?

In a word? No.

Your setup is like a networking hub, that is, all the same information goes to the four displays.

You need to use two different outputs on the video card to have the card know there are two different displays being used.

I suspected that was the answer.

This was installed by the "expert" installers from a well known local audio /video store that strugged their shoulders and walked off when it didn't work right, and blamed Vista. This vendor was someone else's choice (who is above me), so there was nothing I could do to demand that they make it work right... because she has no intention to do it.

The monitor is a 6 month old flat panel analog Dell with a VGA port.

Is there any way to adapt the monitor to use either the DP port or a HDMI port on the video card?

I guess my other option would be to get a different monitor (with an HDMI port) or a video card with dual VGA ports.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
In a word? No.

(I'm not sure which question you're answering here...)

Overkill-

The monitor did come with a VGA cable, and a DVI to VGA adapter.

However, the DVI port on the video card is being used to drive the two Epson projectors via a DVI to VGA adapter and a 4 port hub. The monitor is also connected to the 4 port hub, and getting the monitor off of that hub is what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm wanting to get the monitor onto a different port on the video card, so I can run multiple displays.

My other two choices on the video card for the monitor are a DigitalPort or a HDMI port. The monitor has a DVI-D port and a VGA port.

It appears that the easiest solution at this point is to get a HDMI / DVI cable, and use the HDMI port on the video card to connect to the DVI-D port on the monitor.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
How about moving the hub to the VGA output and plugging the monitor into the DVI port?

There is no VGA output.

The video card has three ports. 1 - DVI, 1 - DisplayPort, 1 - HDMI.

I bought a HDMI -> DVI cable and connected the DVI-D port on the monitor to the HDMI port on the video card. Works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back